Which Droid Should I Build?

The14thDr

Sr Member
So I'm in the process of upgrading my room into a sort of Star Wars/Doctor Who nerd cave, and I was thinking of building a droid to go in the corner of the room, to 'guard' my collection.
There isn't much space in my room, so I've narrowed my decision down to two options: General Grievous and the B-1 Battle Droid. The thing is, though, there are positives and negatives to each route. For example, General Grievous is more menacing and awesome-looking, whereas the Battle Droid would be simpler to build. Then again, if I chose to build the General Grievous, it would give me an excellent excuse to buy/build four new lightsabers. :)

I know there are a lot of experienced builders out there, so I'm looking for a professional opinion to help make my decision. I have little-to-no building experience when it comes to making droids (or anything else remotely humanoid, for that matter, save for a few failed attempts at an Iron Man suit).
I'm planning on making this a cardboard build with a plastic support skeleton to help save on material costs.

So what do you all think, or are there any more options that would make an interesting bodyguard for my room?

Kind regards, The14thDr

Last edited:
K-9 with sensors for picking up when someone is close to your collection and then he can issue and audible alarm.

Pretty cool starting robot type project not so complex (except that neck seems to be touch one for people - it breaks easy).
Has some electronics in it which of course would help with other projects like lightsabers or BIG droids.

good luck !

Good idea FordPrefect. Unfortunately I already own a a toy K-9, so I don't really want to spend time and money making another version. Also, my 'nerd cave' is already decorated with plenty of Doctor Who touches, with the addition of a Gallifreyan Bookcase that I'll be building in the new year, so I want to include a bit of Star Wars stuff to the room (ie. a droid). Thanks for the advice anyway. Maybe I could implement the alarm into another type of robot?

Kind regards, The14thDr

Last edited:
General Grievous is technically a cyborg, so you will be building a battle droid. ;)

For the blaster, Hasbro made a toy that several people have used as starting point.

Last edited:
General Grievous is technically a cyborg, so you will be building a battle droid. ;)

Fair played, Darth Lars. :)
I've been looking at reference images of both General Grievous and the B-1 Battle Droid, and I've decided to go ahead and work on the Battle Droid, as it looks like a slightly simpler build for a noob such as myself.

If all goes well with this robot, I might go ahead and work on General Grievous afterwards, but for now I can make do with a Battle Droid to guard my stuff.

"Which Droid Should I Build"

- Build the ones that arent the ones that anyone is looking for.
obi-wan-kenobi.jpg

.... i think i said that right....

I second that, it's got to be IG-88 hasn't it? If you want a droid. Can't imagine it's any harder than making a battle droid and way way cooler :D
I'd really like an IG88, but the thing is I don't think I possess the skills to make an Assassin Droid, as they do look a little more complex than the Battle Droids. Plus, the Battle Droid does fold away for easier storage, as I don't have much space in my room.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back