Where are all the Freaking Christmas shows on cable?!?!

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It seems like over the last few years that there aren't any Christmas shows on except on Christmas day. We have Time Warner cable and they used to show A Christmas Story almost daily from Thanksgiving through Christmas. I checked the other day and they have A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, and even A Miracle on 34th Street. BUT you have to pay to watch them! WTH is going on? I have Vacation on DVD, but I never bought the others because they are always on.

hmmm Elf has been since November 1st on multiple channels... but not sure if it's BASIC cable...

Where's the christmas specials that used to be on? It seems like we're lucky if Frosty the Snowman and such is on anymore. I've taken to watching old specials on youtube from when they actually still had them like John Denver's Christmas and Andy Williams. PBS isn't even showing the holiday concerts as much this year.

ABC Family runs a ton of them. Caught Christmas Vacation twice so far. I saw Miracle on 34th Street (the original) on another channel this week. I don't recall ever seeing A Christmas Story anymore until it's 24 hour run beginning on Christmas Eve. ABC Family also shows a lot of those classic Rankin/Bass specials. With two little kids, I know these shows are out there.

?! I only have basic cable and have caught these or saw that they have been on: White Christmas, Miracle on 34th St (both eras), both Peanuts Christmas specials, Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Frosty, Elf, Santa Clause, Jack Frost, Christmas Vacation, Prep & Landing, Home Alone, It's a Wonderful Life... etc... over the last few weeks.

ABC Family runs a ton of them. Caught Christmas Vacation twice so far. I saw Miracle on 34th Street (the original) on another channel this week. I don't recall ever seeing A Christmas Story anymore until it's 24 hour run beginning on Christmas Eve. ABC Family also shows a lot of those classic Rankin/Bass specials. With two little kids, I know these shows are out there.

I checked again today and they don't even show A Christmas Story on on Christmas Eve. It must vary by company and location or something because my cousin has Comcast and said she's seen both of the ones I listed in the OP.

Huh. Far as I know there are aspects of programming that can't be randomly changed up on a local level... usually there's a listing of air times for specials and such, perhaps tv guide or imdb? I know this is a big issue year in/out...

Segue: though I've got a few of the specials/films I like on DVD, there's still something about catching them 'on TV'... I wouldn't say that any other time of year!

Well I'm confused. Are you saying your cable company manages the programming for ALL the stations? That makes no sense, TNT shows A Christmas Story starting Dec 24. I've seen plenty of Christmas shows and specials across multiple channels including the broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC Fox).

There's the new elf special musical starring Jim Parsons (sheldon)...that showed. I saw both the B&W and colorized Miracle on 34th, Christmas with the Kranks, a very brady christmas, and I recorded Christmas story II (teenage ralphie gets some for christmas) .

what I'm looking forward to is ME TV (or is it cozy?) some years shows "forgotten Christmas specials" like the He-man holiday special.

That's good watchin!

I'm hoping to eventially get ALL the Christmas specials ever made...get a few every year. have you seen The Reinfather? How about Larry The Cable guy's christmas specials (1-111)? There is of course the Robot Chicken Holiday Specials. ..

Seen the Jeff dunham christmas special?

there's always the Hallmark channel / all chick flick christmas special channel: Snowglobe is pretty good, as is the one starring Summer Glau as an elf.

Well I'm confused. Are you saying your cable company manages the programming for ALL the stations? That makes no sense, TNT shows A Christmas Story starting Dec 24. I've seen plenty of Christmas shows and specials across multiple channels including the broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC Fox).

Yup, TNT and TBS starting at 8pm on the 24th.

If you're seeing a dwindling of shows like that, consider the following: apparently, the last network out there stopped showing Saturday morning cartoons recently. Why? Because kids are busy watching Netflix or DVDs/BRs. Might be that you're seeing the same stuff with Christmas specials.

Of course, TV shows are still showing Christmas-themed episodes in pretty much every show.

For certain times yeah. TNT used to have A Christmas Story on from Thanksgiving until Christmas. Now it's just a marathon on Christmas Eve. I did finally see White Christmas on though. It just seems like they are running them way fewer times than previously.

I agree to with ABC Family. They have played them all over and over the past months and AMC has been playing White Christmas numerous times.

I don't care what anyone says, what anyone ever writes, or whatever video or movie that is made--The Rankin Bass Santa Claus is Comin' to Town is the definitive story of Santa Claus. No ifs, and, or buts about it.

My Christmas movie watching is going to probably consist of Die Hard, Die Hard 2, 2046, Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Iron Man 3. Still trying to decide on if I should include Eyes Wide Shut and The Princess Bride as well. May have to also include John Carpenter's The Thing (not set during Christmas, but it does take place during the first week of winter). But I'm definitely planning on watching A Christmas Story, since I haven't seen it in a while.

Last edited:
I always liked watching "White Christmas". Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen rocked that movie. And then I think of all the 151st infantry division props to get/make, lol.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back