anyone selling studio X wing cast kitbash parts?

edspaged2

Sorry if it's not in the right section. Being studio scale related I thought I'd put it in here. I was wondering if anyone out there has gone to the effort of finding all the known kitbash parts related to the x wing and has molded and made casts of these parts? If so, and if they were selling these bits, who would I have to ask? I'm currently in the queue waiting for my v4 x wing but I'd also to start my own from scratch. Well sorta from scratch. Build my own fuselage and wings etcetera. I've been jotting down the parts that have been mentioned on this forum and started searching on eBay and other places and know that just buying these kits will cost a fair amount, so I'm just looking for a more wallet friendly alternative.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. And also just a quick message to all those that actually put in the time and effort in figuring out which parts on the X were related to which kit, I salute you. Well done!

Another question, and it would probably be another alternative. Has anyone used newer kit parts? For example, I have an old Saturn V kit which I bought a few months back, but would a newer airfix Saturn V been virtually the same?

Some kits yes, some no. The airfix parts I believe are the same as those used for the original builds in the 70s, for example.

No, the Airfix Saturn V and Ib kits were retooled a few years ago with new parts for the command/service module and it's cover. More accurate for a Saturn, but bad for SS donors.

I like the idea for cast parts. making the main structure is the easy part, but sourcing all the donor kits is tough and expensive. Is it possible some of the folks who have collected parts could recoup their costs by offering casts?

I'm not an X-Wing expert but the X-Wing doesn't use any of the re-tooled parts though, does it? It only uses the engine bells and Stage 3 fuselage halves (for want of a better word) which should be the same in the vintage and re-tooled kits.

No, this is incorrect. The parts used on the X-Wing have been retooled though. You want the very early issues of this kit. Later issues (including the Smithonian and the latest red box one) have the third stage (x-wing engine cans) and engine bells that have been modified. Not taking in account the softer details nor the damaged mold thus details on the third stage halves.

No, the Airfix Saturn V and Ib kits were retooled a few years ago with new parts for the command/service module and it's cover. More accurate for a Saturn, but bad for SS donors.

I like the idea for cast parts. making the main structure is the easy part, but sourcing all the donor kits is tough and expensive. Is it possible some of the folks who have collected parts could recoup their costs by offering casts?

Yeah it would definitely be handy to buy parts/copies of parts that people already have. It would help them recoup costs a bit too? Instead of having paid $50 for a saturn I would have been happy with just the parts I needed but paying a bit less say $40. Not much of a saving but if your needing 20+ kits it all adds up. I'm already thinking about splashing out on a sealab kit. I saw one of these that was already built at a garage sale a few months ago. It was in the $5 bin. I didn't realise how valuable it was :(

No, this is incorrect. The parts used on the X-Wing have been retooled though. You want the very early issues of this kit. Later issues (including the Smithonian and the latest red box one) have the third stage (x-wing engine cans) and engine bells that have been modified. Not taking in account the softer details nor the damaged mold thus details on the third stage halves.

I sit corrected - thank you!

I know about the damage to the molds (you can see it clear as day on the ribbing), but I forget how the tooling was changed on the engine bells - any one have pics?

I know about the damage to the molds (you can see it clear as day on the ribbing), but I forget how the tooling was changed on the engine bells - any one have pics?

Here you go :

Here's my Red 4 with vintage engine bells, this X-Wing has its 4 engine cans of the same kind and I had only 3 vintage Sat V at this time, you can clearly see the 2 tabs on this can

so the salzo kits uses the newer cans then, I just looked at mine, and I have two kits from 94 I planed on using for the y-wing, are there any changes to those parts?

so the salzo kits uses the newer cans then, I just looked at mine, and I have two kits from 94 I planed on using for the y-wing, are there any changes to those parts?

Not 100% certain but I saw an early 90's airfix saturn kit on eBay and the box was open. You could see the picture of the thrusters/cans and they did appear to be slightly modified from the originals.

So I've got hold of the fujimi elephant, airfix harrow and a few others but I'm sitting on the fence with the airfix panther. There are a few people that mention the airfix oo panther was used, but also there is the scale of 1/76 and 1/72 airfix panthers. Are the newer release panthers (which is now classed 1/76 scale) the same as the previous older model 1/72 panther? Has this been retooled? Or did ILM in fact use the old oo/ho scale airfix panther?

I have to say that of all the different kits needed, I have found the Bandai Shiden-kai to be the most hard-to-get-hold-of kit. Bugger!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back