Looking to acquire Back to the future 2 jacket, options/opinions?

MrSouthpaw

Sr Member
I am currently looking at getting a BTTF2 jacket. So far I've identified 3 that are ready to purchase and of course the DIY and commission options.

The Halloween Costumes model: ($59 USD)
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/back-future-marty-mcfly-jacket.html

I know the HC jacket runs very long, so it'd need to be hemmed. I was wondering how well the sleeves extend. On the website it kind of looks like there's a stitch on the inside-elbow that prevents full extension. It's cheap enough I'd feel okay about altering it.

The B@MJ jacket: (on sale $209 USD)
http://batmj.com/back-to-the-future-bttf-marty-mcfly-jacket-at-2015-in-red-p-5.html

The B@MJ can be custom sized, so no issues there. Was wondering how well the sleeves look/work mostly. Not sure I'd want to alter it being $200+. Maybe after owning it for a bit.

Then there's the movie accurate model on ebay for $1000 USD. Which is very nice, but I'm not looking to spend that much money. And I want something a more wearable anyways.

Anyone own the HC or B@MJ and can comment on build quality, durability, how wearable they are, the sleeves, or anything else?

Is there another ready-to-buy jacket out there?

How about DIY options?

I read about the draw-liner technique, currently trying to find a good base-jacket. I thought using a Member's Only coat was a great idea for the straps it includes, that was suggested by a user here. The cheap ones on ebay are all older number sized jackets, tough to tell how they fit without an old size chart.

Any other good base-jacket options? Or suggestions on what to look for in a base-jacket?

Then there's the movie accurate model on ebay for $1000 USD. Which is very nice, but I'm not looking to spend that much money. And I want something a more wearable anyways.

That's the jacket made by RPF member Markpoon. He sells them here for $750 + shipping.
I'd get one if I could but it's a little too expensive for me right now. But it's probably the best replica
you will find as far as accuracy goes. Mark also sells the only 100% screen-accurate Grays Sports Almanac replica.

The jackets for the movie were custom made, so there's nothing much out there that's really a good match for it.

Have a look on Etsy for a members only jacket, prices are pretty good for those.
*edit: see above for the Markpoon version lol. Beat me to it haha!

Last edited:
That's the jacket made by RPF member Markpoon. He sells them here for $750 + shipping.
I'd get one if I could but it's a little too expensive for me right now. But it's probably the best replica
you will find as far as accuracy goes. Mark also sells the only 100% screen-accurate Grays Sports Almanac replica.

The jackets for the movie were custom made, so there's nothing much out there that's really a good match for it.

Yeah, I've seen it. It's nice. Not gonna spend that much. Need that money for a 3D printer. And my understanding is that it's not that wearable anyways, more a display piece than a functional jacket. I intend to wear mine a lot. I use Roland's paper props for things like the Almanac.

When I say match, I don't mean an actual match. I mean a good base-jacket for a build. The builds I saw all used a "George" brand (iirc) squall jacket from Wal-Mart, of course it's not sold anymore. So besides the Member's Only, I was trying to find out if there were any other models of inexpensive jacket to build onto.

Have a look on Etsy for a members only jacket, prices are pretty good for those.
*edit: see above for the Markpoon version lol. Beat me to it haha!

I'm not buying Markpoon's jacket for any reason. It's accurate and well-executed. It's just not what I want, and it's definitely outside my price range.

I'm really looking for feedback on the Halloweencostumes.com, B@MJ, and DIY options.

Apparently the cheap HC jackets make a great base for the 2015 jacket as the sleeves are quite well made. All you really need to do is replace the vest portion.

You mean put the sleeves on another vest, or alter the HC vest to look better?
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend. The most cost effective way would be to alter the HC or the B@MJ jackets. You would also have to add the proper greeblies and belt/cuffs, but basically the hard parts (expandable sleeves) are done.

I went for a complete scratch build and those sleeves are not easy to make. My wife suggested I just buy the MP jacket.

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend. The most cost effective way would be to alter the HC or the B@MJ jackets. You would also have to add the proper greeblies and belt/cuffs, but basically the hard parts (expandable sleeves) are done.

I went for a complete scratch build and those sleeves are not easy to make. My wife suggested I just buy the MP jacket.

If I had the money to spare, I would buy the MP jacket in a heartbeat. I would, but I just can't. I'm eyeballing a 3D Printer that does 12x12x13 inches for $650. And that can help me make lots of stuff.

Maybe I should investigate the price for the bits pieces and the voice electronics. Knowing the upgrade cost would probably help the decision.

Would you happen to know anything about the electronic side of things? The outside bits and pieces are not a problem, I studied the DIY tutorials about getting drawer liner and such. But I'm not familiar with custom voice chips.

It is that seam up the back that stopped me from buying the MP jacket at that price. I have the cash and full Wife Approval for the purchase but will never be 100% happy knowing the fault could have been avoided. Under $500 and I might have been able to look past it. I bought his shoes without even a 2nd thought about them being in one size only. Didn't care if I never wore them. I just wanted them.

Not sure what they cost in the US, but I can get a locally programmed sound card with all the jacket sound effects for $40. I would think you can source one cheaper in the US.

I got 2x the office chair section (belt and cuffs) and am looking at molding a new vest part in red rubber. My PVC part looks good, but the material is too heavy and rigid to wear for any length of time. As a display piece, not an issue. I also might also have to scrap all the work on my jacket done so far to make a smaller version as I did not have a pattern for this - it is all scratch designed and made and about 2 sizes too big.

I am also looking at a 3D printer, but in all honesty, I think 3D printing is over used, even to the point of abuse. Personally I think 3D printing is great for rapid prototyping or one offs, but should be used for making a master part that should then be molded and cast for multiple copies.

It is that seam up the back that stopped me from buying the MP jacket at that price. I have the cash and full Wife Approval for the purchase but will never be 100% happy knowing the fault could have been avoided. Under $500 and I might have been able to look past it. I bought his shoes without even a 2nd thought about them being in one size only. Didn't care if I never wore them. I just wanted them.

Not sure what they cost in the US, but I can get a locally programmed sound card with all the jacket sound effects for $40. I would think you can source one cheaper in the US.

I got 2x the office chair section (belt and cuffs) and am looking at molding a new vest part in red rubber. My PVC part looks good, but the material is too heavy and rigid to wear for any length of time. As a display piece, not an issue. I also might also have to scrap all the work on my jacket done so far to make a smaller version as I did not have a pattern for this - it is all scratch designed and made and about 2 sizes too big.

I am also looking at a 3D printer, but in all honesty, I think 3D printing is over used, even to the point of abuse. Personally I think 3D printing is great for rapid prototyping or one offs, but should be used for making a master part that should then be molded and cast for multiple copies.

I wouldn't have even known the difference concerning the seam. But I understand, if I do go for perfect then it's got to be perfect.

I'll see what I can find for sound hardware. If I can figure this out I can add them to some other stuff I suppose.

The chair ribbed sections might actually be easy here. We got a healthy second-hand and charity industry in my town.

I'm not buying a 3D printer for production. For now I just want to be able to make stuff for myself and learn some simple modeling. Molding/casting would be a useful thing to learn as well.

With 2015 fast-approaching I thought there would be a lot of discussion for things like this coming back up. I wish there was more out there, like there is for the shoes. I do admit, I am far more interested in the shoes, but I need a jacket too.

Heres how the B@MJ jacket can be converted, the user is a member here
Project Alvin McFly 2015 The Jacket PT1: http://youtu.be/HpvPi_vrtmI

The same method might be able to be used on the halloweencostumes version, i hope to order one and give it a try this upcoming year

The same method might be able to be used on the halloweencostumes version, i hope to order one and give it a try this upcoming year

Yeah that is the idea I had except I will make a more accurate vest portion using a custom vest made from molding off a light diffuser.

The problem with pretty much every jacket replica including Mark's is that the vest portion is too long. If you make your own remember to shorten the botton to be around the belt line on your jeans. Here is my jacket before and after I shortened it.
1836900_10203200170673146_4037026654142235924_o.jpg

10474488_10203203560037878_1006117346538696242_o.jpg

As of right now I only need to glue the belt on and my jacket will be finished.

Last edited:

HC jacket will probably be the way I go, but I'm still looking hard at that B@MJ jacket.

The problem with pretty much every jacket replica including Mark's is that the vest portion is too long. If you make your own remember to shorten the botton to be around the belt line on your jeans. Here is my jacket before and after I shortened it.
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net...46_4037026654142235924_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd....78_1006117346538696242_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9
As of right now I only need to glue the belt on and my jacket will be finished.

This is my concern with the HC jacket. Every single size is 28 inches from bottom of collar to bottom of jacket. I will definitely have to shorten it about 6 inches and it's got a zipper so I don't even know how to handle that.

HC jacket will probably be the way I go, but I'm still looking hard at that B@MJ jacket.

This is my concern with the HC jacket. Every single size is 28 inches from bottom of collar to bottom of jacket. I will definitely have to shorten it about 6 inches and it's got a zipper so I don't even know how to handle that.

Zippers are actually very easy to remove with ordinary scissors.

Zippers are actually very easy to remove with ordinary scissors.

I was thinking about shortening, not removing. But that's right, the real jacket has no zipper. Do I want the zipper gone or not? Hmm....

Either way, I'm lost where needle&thread skills come into play. If I get this thing rolling, then I might have to just take some pics of the thing and get a recommended course of action.

This is why I'm still looking at the B@MJ. Since it's custom they can just size it, and I could probably even talk them into a small discount if they don't have to deal with zipper installation or sewing in their ugly version of the belt/cuffs. But $140 is a big difference, and especially when I have to buy upgrades on top of it.

I kind of wish someone around here bought the HC jacket and showed it off already. That would help immensely.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back