Looking to acquire Back to the future 2 jacket, options/opinions?

It is about the belt thickness too long. I don't think that vest is anti slip mat you find in a cheap store. Even though it is not screen accurate, it does look futuristic and works well for this.

I am keen to have another crack at this now that I have got my sewing machine sorted and it is actually able to sew leather, vinyl etc. 1.5m of Vegan leather should make a full jacket with bellow sleeves,. Vegan Leather is a micro-fibre, so it breaths unlike the vinyl I used last time that had me virtually dripping sweat within 15min. The cost of materials is less than a 1/3rd the price of this jacket. I already have the vest portion sorted with screen accurate bubble texture. I also have a heap of office chair parts, have made molds for the greebles and other parts, so well past the PSR I guess.

No, it's not the actual drawer-liner. It's some kind of thick plastic mesh. But it is the same pattern as some liners. Checkered rectangles. I just thought it was funny since some people here have used that exact drawer-liner material to make a DIY Future jacket.

I do like all the greeblies they installed. Like the strap loops, pocket-flap slit, belt light-box, etc. I think only Poon has done that so far.

I think I will likely get it. It's the best of the factories. It's got the greeblies. The sleeves are reasonable, I'm sure the shine could be knocked down somehow. The body is not correct pattern, but it will evoke it well enough. Now it's a waiting game to see when they actually get them in stock.

Oh, btw. Someone is doing new sleeve experiments here on RPF.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263868&

The belt and cuffs seem to be made out of some sort of elastic. The length of the main jacket area and the forearms are a little too long, the sleeves and other grey material areas are a little too light in color, and the control boxes and straps need to be totally replaced, but nothing a little modding cant help. It's a good base jacket for modding.

Last edited:
@MitasTouch
Yeah, I'm really optimistic about this jacket. They say Aug 26th, so that means it's probably more like Sept or something. But I will probably try to get one. It's neat enough even though it should be a more varsity-style cut.

I have not seen any of the HC hats in person.

It's slightly different than the DS hat. I have never seen one outside of HC pictures.

Given every hat released has had some flaw, you would think by now, someone with half a sense of what is needed could take the bits of what has been done and make it near perfect. I have the DS and the two major flaws are the strap at the back (elastic could have worked?) and the brim just has black underneath. It has nice colours and is just a bit flat. I constantly flex my brim and it is starting to take the curved shape.

Wow I missed HC getting a new jacket, seems like a good base. The cuff and belt look like some sort of knit, like the cuffs seen on varsity jackets. The control boxes look like they're velcro'd on to me, the holes on the red parts looks too big, the walamart mats look closer to the real one. Although i'd love it if someone made and sold red sheets though!

The new HC jacket is way better than their old one, but still far from being authentic. If they don't do massive modifications before August 26, they should delete the word "authentic" in the title. The red material is annoying me most. The original jacket doesn't look like a wire mesh fence.

6136059014_98b085777b_o.jpg 6135529755_68af870d97_o.jpg

I'm not sure if its at every location, but some Walmarts sell this by the yards, in like a 64" width. But its this same color stock
mIaDeAzWakMy2kxB8DqYo_Q.jpg

I wanna try to buy some and dye it red. Its super wide so the back section could be made a one piece like the real one. The hidden zipper is an improvement though

Last edited:
I'm not sure if its at every location, but some Walmarts sell this by the yards, in like a 64" width. But its this same color stock
View attachment 646670

I wanna try to buy some and dye it red. Its super wide so the back section could be made a one piece like the real one. The hidden zipper is an improvement though

This new HC jacket already looks like it's covered in a similar pattern to that drawer liner.

authentic-marty-mcfly-jacket6.jpg

The drawer liner has an actual "rubbbery" feel to it, being that it is a non-slip liner. And it also has bumpy feel to it, the HC fabric looks like laundry netting tbh, more of a hole filled texture than a bump filled one

The drawer liner has an actual "rubbbery" feel to it, being that it is a non-slip liner. And it also has bumpy feel to it, the HC fabric looks like laundry netting tbh, more of a hole filled texture than a bump filled one

I'm familiar with the drawer-liner. I was half-way through making a DIY future jacket with it when all the new models starting showing up around OCT '15. And I decided it wasn't worth the time to complete. I'm only saying there is a visual similarity due to the checkered rectangle pattern.

I wish they put more effort into getting an accurate looking red material. This mesh just looks awful.

I wish they put more effort into the research. I bet they don't have any good or even high-res pictures of the real jacket and just used HD screen caps from the movie for their jacket. That's nice but not good enough.

I think I made a breakthrough as to where they sourced the original cuffs. I was riding in my friend's Honda Civic and put my seatbelt on and immediately recognized it. It's too thin to be the belt, so the belt being from a chair spine is still accurate.
13606439_10207213699688863_4596510451978376819_n.jpg

I just saw this jacket on eBay. It is still expensive but looks pretty accurate and is cheaper than the MP jacket.

I do like the overall effect. But I do have some concerns.

The body is foam "printed" to cloth. I don't think it will be durable in the long-term.

The sleeves are twill. The bellows will be a little wrinkly and frumpy, like all cloth bellows.

And of course the price could always be lower....:D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back