Looking to acquire Back to the future 2 jacket, options/opinions?

I talked to HC today over the phone, they knew nothing about the new jacket in customer service. I was told they have a new jacket shipment coming in soon, but they didn't know if it was the current jacket or this "more authentic" jacket wildseven posted about.

Interested to see if HC makes an updated jacket!

I'm just gonna get whatever comes in the next shipment, no matter what. It's already FEB, and I still need to get the jacket done, upgrade one of those new HC hoverboards, and do some mods to the Mags.

If they come out with a better jacket later, then I'll just buy that too and transfer the upgrades.

@MrSouthpaw will you be documenting your upgrades? would love to see what can be done with the HC Jacket.

I'm not sure yet, if I do it won't be till Summer since they won't have mediums in stock until then. There is actually a lot of documentation of the method I'll be using here at RPF. I just can't remember the topic. The only difference is that I will be using this HC jacket, whereas other users built them with a close enough normal jacket.

They'll glue or sew on drawer liner bought at Walmart to get that red textured body. Add some "coils" and straps to the sleeves to simulate the tightened up sleeve. Then small-parts like the belt, cuffs, greebles, and voice module for the noises. Member's only jackets just happens to have enough extra straps built onto it to accomplish the build IIRC.

Maybe someone will chime in with that topic.

I just ordered the B@MJ jacket last night so it should be here in a couple weeks. In the meantime I was going to start making the red buttons for the sleeve and the bottom buckle piece with led and sound out of styrene. does any one know what size they need to be. Also, I've never made a sound board before so any suggestions will be appreciated. I am not new to making costumes so don't worry. Last year I got to wear my completed Boba Fett costume that took me a year and a half to make. I'm hoping this jacket won't cause me any problems.

So I've been on contact with HC about their jacket and I have a detailed rundown on how it's built and some measurements. I'll probably end up ordering a small and medium and sending back whatever doesn't work.

From HC:

The shell (or vestibular portion) is made of polyvinyl chloride shell while the rest of the jacket is composed of polyester. The front chest pockets are screen printed with a cloth overlay which you can more than likely make out in the picture. The black ridges around the waist are screen printed as well. To extend and retract the sleeves there are 2 straps with Velcro on each sleeve. One strap is sewn towards the shoulder and is made of polyester and attaches to a Velcro circle located just above the elbow. The other strap is sewn just above the wrist and extends up to a Velcro circle located just below the elbow. The extended measurement for sleeve length given below was taken with both of the straps unattached. In regards to the measurements? Here goes,

The Small jacket has a chest measurement of 44", a waist of 37", it measures 27" from the shoulder to the waist, the opening sleeve at the wrist measures 10" around. The shoulder width of the small size is 23", the overarm of the sleeve is 25" and extended is 44".

The Medium jacket has a chest measurement of 45", a waist of 37", it measures 28.5" from the shoulder to the waist, the opening sleeve at the wrist measures 11" around. The shoulder width of the medium size is 25", the overarm of the sleeve is 27" and extended is 45.5".

The Large jacket has a chest measurement of 48", a waist of 41", it measures 29" from the shoulder to the waist, the opening sleeve at the wrist measures 11" around. The shoulder width of the large size is 25", the overarm of the sleeve is 30" and extended is 48."

I ordered the medium from hc last week. It should be at my house by the 30th. Ill update on how it fits. I didnt know if i needed small or medium either. Im 5-7, 170 lbs and wear a 40 in a blazer. So we shall see if a medium fits

I ordered the medium from hc last week. It should be at my house by the 30th. Ill update on how it fits. I didnt know if i needed small or medium either. Im 5-7, 170 lbs and wear a 40 in a blazer. So we shall see if a medium fits

I ended up ordering a small and a medium. But my delivery date is out to the Aug 3rd for some reason.

Until then I got shoes to upgrade, and a sound board to prepare for the jacket.

I want to get one of the HC jackets and possibly modify it at a later date. I've heard the sizing is quite generous though. I'd usually take a large in such things as I'm quite broad (and a little round right now, not gonna lie) but someone on facebook said they were bigger than you think.

Anyone got one to compare notes?

When I get back from deployment I might be open to upgrading anyone's HC jacket. Here is a jacket I made from just a normal dark grey base jacket. It had working pockets and sound effects. The hoverboard was handmade as well.
chell_and_her_gun_by_theblackangel07-d61r5ll.jpg

I did get the jackets. I am extremely busy this week, I have to prepare for Worldcon. So pics will have to wait.

But briefly, my in person evaluation. And I was able to wear it for an entire day at a con.
---------------------------------------------------
The jackets are all long. They are pleated on the bottom. If you are short, you will have to hem it up. I'm 5'4" and it's below my waist. It should be at or above it. I couldn't get the zipper tab into the zipper pull up unless I pulled the jacket up to my waist. Not that it matters that much since it's getting removed anyways.

The sleeve fabric...it's polyester, fuzzy like suede on the outside, the backing is square-woven cloth. I have concerns about long-term durability, due to it being a little on the thin side. Everything is single-stitched....I think. In fact everything gray on the jacket is this cloth. But it's doubled up on the neck, cuffs, and waist.

The bellows, on the inside of the arm opposite the strap, is tacked with a stitch. otherwise it would just blow out. But I believe the bellow could be un-tacked and your own solution attempted. This is both straps BTW, shoulder and elbow, both arms. The sleeves still stretches out to a considerable length and generally looks good. Con-goers loved it.

There is no adjustment, the strap is just a length of cloth with a velcro tab on the end. I think the velcro could be moved further down the strip and the strip shortened to tighten up the closed bellows a little more.

There is no lining.

The pocket is just a screen-printed square with the pocket flap sewn on. Would provide a good alignment/sizing mark for a pocket after the draw liner is attached. I have concerns about how to attach the draw liner. I don't know how glues and such will react with vinyl.

Overall the jacket is, I think acceptable for the price. I wish the sleeves were a tad thicker for durability. Everyone that commented on the jacket liked it.
-----------------------------------------------
I hope I can have it prepped for Worldcon. I need to prep the jacket, and I had a sort of emergency so I had to hold-off modding the shoe. So I gotta do that too. I probably won't be able to get an EL strap going. And will probably just glue a logo onto an HC strap or something.

And I got a Star-Lord costume to work on. Need to fake the rocket boots somehow. And do something about pants. And try and fake a belt.

Need to finish off about two-three more costumes.

I want to have something new each day of the Worldcon. It'll only be near me once in my life, so why not try and go all out, right.

SinceSince the color of the grey is too light you could get some charcoal grey fabric spray paint. And working pockets are easy to make. Hemming the bottom is also easy to do. I will probably order one for myself just to test out all my mods. And if it turns out good I will sell it. It will be sized to me so I will order an XS. I'm 5'5 and a normal small is too big for me based on the measurements given by their website. For the drawer matting super glue works great. Or Loctite fabric and plastic glue. It works on vinyl. This will be about 7 months down the road unfortunately because I'm deployed to Spain right now.
sp412.jpg

cntct_vnylpl.png

Last edited:
Looks like HC has a new jacket coming out soon.

authentic-marty-mcfly-jacket.jpg

Lists at $189, available Aug 26th.

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/authentic-marty-mcfly-jacket.html

Certainly has the some interesting details. Pockets-flaps look like they can be adjusted for length. And is definitely a step above the other jacket. But the body looks like drawer-liner material, which is a strange choice.

I might have to seriously consider this thing.

@cavx
Hey, what do you think about these sleeves?

Edit: Forgot the link.

Last edited:
Looks like HC has a new jacket coming out soon.

attachment.php

Lists at $189, available Aug 26th.

Certainly has the some interesting details. Pockets-flaps look like they can be adjusted for length. And is definitely a step above the other jacket. But the body looks like drawer-liner material, which is a strange choice.

I might have to seriously consider this thing.

@cavx
Hey, what do you think about these sleeves?

Edit: Forgot the link.

Sleeves are good, a bit shiny but good. The jacket is not screen accuarate, but is pretty cool none the less.

Sleeves are good, a bit shiny but good. The jacket is not screen accuarate, but is pretty cool none the less.

None of the factories get the body right. It's always something or another. The body on this one still isn't quite a varsity-style cut like it should be. The waist is a few inches too long.

But this jacket is several steps ahead of many other factory jackets I've seen.

None of the factories get the body right. It's always something or another. The body on this one still isn't quite a varsity-style cut like it should be. The waist is a few inches too long.

But this jacket is several steps ahead of many other factory jackets I've seen.

It is about the belt thickness too long. I don't think that vest is anti slip mat you find in a cheap store. Even though it is not screen accurate, it does look futuristic and works well for this.

I am keen to have another crack at this now that I have got my sewing machine sorted and it is actually able to sew leather, vinyl etc. 1.5m of Vegan leather should make a full jacket with bellow sleeves,. Vegan Leather is a micro-fibre, so it breaths unlike the vinyl I used last time that had me virtually dripping sweat within 15min. The cost of materials is less than a 1/3rd the price of this jacket. I already have the vest portion sorted with screen accurate bubble texture. I also have a heap of office chair parts, have made molds for the greebles and other parts, so well past the PSR I guess.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back