Horizon Battletech Mad Cat

GUARD1AN

So I happen to have the rare 1992 battletech 1/30th scale vinyl mad cat and without breaking out the pitch forks and torches, i was going to originally finish all the subassemblies and mold and cast it for myself, but as seeing as to the rarity of the kit and the going price for the very few that are out there, what issues would there be as to me doing a small run of kits to a intrested few ?( When did Horizon go out of business anyway ?) I don't want to be black listed, labeled a recaster, flamed and banned from everywhere by everyone. All i would be doing would be fixing the imperfections and making molds, and offering a short run of kits in resin.If there would be issues with that, then I will make this for only me.

Thanks guys,
-Mike

5C2CDBFA-67A4-4BA2-BC07-C29045417A4D_zpsejhtkzwd.jpg

22BD8DA7-C645-4A3F-9BB5-D00E45A02B6F_zps7g3sf0ir.jpg

Hi, I've seen what the kit goes for these days and while it's definitely a collectors item. I think as long as you clearly label it as a recast rather than the original. I doubt many people would object. Then again I know there is a big stigma among battletech players about re-casted figures etc. though that is mostly for the actual tabletop miniatures.

Since this figure has been out of production for so long I don't think people will object. though don't quote me on that cause I don't know for sure

but you can also think about the ethics of casting something that was made by someone else with the intent to sell copies for profit.

I hope it helps.

Full disclosure, I do freelance work for Ironwind metals sculpting battletech miniatures. And I have also made some fan battletech miniatures that got shot down by the powers that be. (though that was before I worked for ironwind)

well like i said, it would be a limited run, not stupid expensive, I just wanted to clean up the kits lines a bit, no way would i take credit for someone elses hard work, I had crazy thoughts of making it fully possible, but that in and of itself would be a lot of work, I also wanted to make accessories, different weapons maybe some crew figures as well, its a VERY big for the bookshelf kind of model, and I figure hell if i am going to go through all the effort of making a really cool mech for myself, might see if anyone would have an interest in one for them selves

There has been a lot of discussion about recasting on here so I won't get into it too much. You're never going to please everyone with your offer. (Especially people who have the original kit and are planning on selling it and making a tidy sum). But I do think there should be "some" leeway on kits of defunct companies where nobody else has picked up the license. I think there are a lot of people who would be interested...some of which, slam recasters. Ethics is a sliding scale and not hard rules for right and wrong. I think a lot of people would have the feeling of "I want it because I want it...I don't care who made it or where it was from". Oops... I guess I did get into it too much. :lol

TazMan2000

If it were me, I would build the original for myself and then use it as a reference to scratch-build a slightly larger/smaller version for sharing. That way everyone will know it is your work. Even if you give credit to the original maker, it is still re-casting to mold the original pieces, even by the loosest definition. That's my two cents, anyway. But my ethics scale doesn't slide... TazMan is very correct about the world at large. Most collectors wouldn't care, as long as it was sitting on their shelf. If you are worried your work might get you banned, PM the staff and get clarification before you get started. They control the big red button, after-all. :)

Which staff member in particular ? or is one as good as the next ? And thank you Taz, and I agree with what you said. Cadeus I may end up scratch building one in the long run, but we are about to move, and it would be a bit before we get settled in at the new place, so no rush on the project, if i do the scratch build, i would bring it down to TRUE 1/35th scale, but the difference is marginal, and god know the support for 1/35th scale is other worldly lol, i remember when this hobby of building anything was fun, nowadays to many ***** heads are making it hard for everyone, and don't even get me started on 3D printing............

I agree with Cadeus, that way people can get a madcat and you won't get in trouble. The staff'll help you like he said so you can avoid any issues. I remember my Horizon madcat having a lot of issues so a scratchbuild kit with corrections would be nice, plus you could make it more accurate than you could the vinyl kit.

Lol
I have three of these unmade, and I thought they were 1/35
i was thinking about just doing the head again with interior cockpit
as for casting......... It's funny do you really think that most of the people on here selling Starwars kits have permission to make and sell them
you cant complain about recasting but let others sell star wars kits that aren't licensed my view it's the same thing

I will buy a recast if the others arent for sale anymore by the company . But if the company still make them I will buy it from the right place
also will buy it from somewhere if no one from the big companies has bothered to make it

I could never find these to buy when theu were out originally and that was like 15 years ago... I kinda don't see the problem if you are up front about it... I think things go bad are when the company is still around and or it isn't labeled as a recast... but that's just my opinion.... I do wish I could've picked on up or find one now.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back