EP VII Millennium Falcon

Hey, good to hear from you. Thanks! Though if it's fast, it's because it's a mess behind the scenes (at least by my standards). I'm envious of the cleanliness of your work!

Brilliant! I am also working on one of these using an MPC ROTJ kit as a base. That antenna array is a pain in my backside! I'm trying to design it in blender to make a 3D print. With the talent I've seen between you and Maruska my mind has been completely blown! Fantastic job guys.

Excellent Steve, great to have Andre and Maruska finally getting the "stance" of the MF right! Your work completes all of that!:cool

got all the plating in place

the forward starboard quarter still worries me. I used images from the new fullscale falcon built at Greenham Common, but I suspect the layout here is going to be different between the two version.

I would really really like Bob Iger to get out of the damn way on that Fortune magazine cover. If anyone knows if that image exists somewhere without him... man I want to get my hands on that.

next up:

side wall details
remaining details on the engine deck
rear starboard quarter access pit
details on the cockpit tube
plating on the docking rings
details in the docking rings
finish the texture mapping
a few lingering little greebles here and there

and then... I'm done with the top of the new Falcon? ... that can't be right.

attachment.php

attachment.php

(NOT ORTHOGRAPHIC)

Attachments

• plates 1.png
    plates 1.png
    590.1 KB · Views: 1,691
  • plates 2.png
    plates 2.png
    674.6 KB · Views: 11,259
Is it just me or does it seem like the extra 2 landing gear boxes are now gone? Or was that covered already?

no, they're there, trust me (I've watched the trailer way waaaay too many times now)

but you don't gotta take my word for it. Behold.

attachment.php

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    265.3 KB · Views: 1,679
Last edited:
more and more and junk!

turned off the texturing for a moment to take a look at the details. Just a few more bits to go, and the engine deck and rear quarters are done. Can't hardly believe it...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• junk1.jpg
    junk1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 10,371
  • junk2.jpg
    junk2.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 10,649
  • junk3.jpg
    junk3.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,357
ok, so I'm totally going to have to redo the forward starboard quarter.

I just realized that the pattern I used, based on the new fullscale prop they've made at Greenham Common, is in turn based on the 32" falcon, which is very interesting. So that means that the new CG filming model they have is based on the 5' falcon, and the fullscale prop they've built is an amalgam of the 32" falcon on top, and the fullscale ESB falcon underneath. So basically all the classic Falcons are represented. Kind of cool in a super dorky way...

Last edited:

I just realized that the pattern I used, based on the new fullscale prop they've made at Greenham Common, is in turn based on the 32" falcon, which is very interesting. So that means that the new CG filming model they have is based on the 5' falcon, and the fullscale prop they've built is an amalgam of the 32" falcon on top, and the fullscale ESB falcon underneath. So basically all the classic Falcons are represented. Kind of cool in a super dorky way...

Argh! That kind makes me sad in a dorky way. It perpetuates the schizophrenic aspect of the Falcon. I was hoping that there would be a "definitive" Falcon come out of the new movie - I guess not.

That being said - I think your CG model is way better than the one they've cobbled together in the trailer. I have the IMAX shot as my desktop image, so I get to stare at the awful texture mapping, odd proportions and sparkly finish all day. Why do I torture myself...

This simple yet concise post explains why I will be subscribed to this thread forever. SS has been doing this stuff for a long time, and in his spare time. He is very well uncovering continuity spoilers that most will never notice in the film, but we hear about well before the movie release. Absolutely love it. :) Thanks for all your work, as always.

I have the IMAX shot as my desktop image, so I get to stare at the awful texture mapping, odd proportions and sparkly finish all day. Why do I torture myself...

Maybe they will improve the textures or even the details. ILM and other vfx studios are used to make shots that are near finished. We have to wait and see :)

-Angel

That being said - I think your CG model is way better than the one they've cobbled together in the trailer. I have the IMAX shot as my desktop image, so I get to stare at the awful texture mapping, odd proportions and sparkly finish all day. Why do I torture myself...

I honestly don't see it, maybe my eyes are not as trained as yours?

star-wars-the-force-awakens-millennium-falcon-imax.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back