AMT 1967 Shelby GT-350

Sean3z

Hey all, long time RPF stalker - first attempt at modeling.

I've always loved this car - and since I'll probably never own a real one, I figured this would be as close as I could get.

I've only painted it thusfar. pics below :)

Also, any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Disclaimer: I used my phone to take the unpackaging shots then my DSLR for the painted portions. The DSLR made it appear to sparkle a bit more than in actuality.

IMAG0081.jpgIMAG0083.jpgIMAG0082.jpgIMAG0091.jpgIMAG0088.jpgIMAG0087.jpgIMAG0084.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 211
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 229
Last edited:
So I've accidentally over-spray painted the grill and nuked the Shelby logo :(
Here's hoping I can xacto knife it back

So I've accidentally over-spray painted the grill and nuked the Shelby logo :(
Here's hoping I can xacto knife it back

If need be, you could get the 10-minute Easy Off oven cleaner and use that. I've used it many times to clean off spray paint that didn't come out great, but will require some scrubbing off with a toothbrush for those hard to reach spots. I'm sure others will give better suggestions on how to clean off such parts.

But so far, it looks really promising and can't wait to see the end results. :)

Thanks for the tip! I tried some nail-polish remover - no avail. So the grill logo is just gone for the time being :(
Also learned to glue (plastic cement) parts before painting, while putting the engine together :p
Now I'm "unpainting" the engine...

Last edited:
A few progress shots.

I'm kind of at a standstill due to not having super glue on hand. Apparently the chrome pieces don't care how much liquid cement I use on them lol

In this shot, you can kind of see where the Shelby grill logo used to be.

IMAG0105.jpg
IMAG0110.jpg
IMAG0111.jpg

I also screwed up the front windshield a bit :(

IMG_1213.JPG

It's apparent in this shot that I should have glued on those intake parts before painting the body - now they're a bit inconsistently colored.

IMG_1219.JPG

Just to let you know, the Easy-Off is primarily best for large parts, but a small piece like that shouldn't be a problem, but it's best to get off as much paint as you can in between rounds and then repaint it all over again (that's why I recommend the 10 minute Easy-Off, because its a shorter timeframe to work with. Using a toothbrush, or maybe a scrub brush to scrub the piece as good as you can so to try to get as much of the paint off of it. It may take a few times to do the trick though).

No super glue required. The chrome must be gently scraped off with a blade exposing the plastic in order to adhere. If you use super glue, eventually the bond between the chrome and plastic will break down and the part will fall off anyway.

That paint looks really good. Good work. Keep it up!

CB2001: I'll certainly have to pick up some Easy-Off and try repainting the grill. I've noticed that the glitter from the paint doesn't really help the cause. I may need to consider re-painting over that part in a solid color :)
C17ldmstr: Thanks! I'll give scraping the chrome a shot - seems like it an appropriately meticulous task.

I thought I would need superglue particularly for the headlights but, I'll try scraping first

IMAG0118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you luck on it, Sean. I've had good results on removing paint off of stuff recently painted that I made gross errors on. Like I said, the 10-minute Easy-Off is best. It allows for the removal of the paint easier and in a much shorter time than the two-hour kind. I don't know if the 10 minute kind still available (the last time I used any was years ago, around 2002/2003, but they also have a Heavy Duty Easy-Off that has a five minute timeframe. Give me some time and I'll check around to see if the 10-minute kind is the regular kind or if it was the Heavy Duty stuff.

But one of the most important things I recommend is experimenting with another piece of painted plastic. I don't know if the formula is different from the time I used it or not, so, I recommend if you do go that route and decide to try it, try it on a piece of plastic that is not a part of the kit (maybe try the sprue trees for the model). And, I don't know if AMT/ERTL still does it, but they had a customer service option where you can request the part of a model kit for a small price (all you'd need is to provide the model kit ID number and the part number).

Last edited:
it's looking good despite some problems, but those are mistakes you hopefully won't make next time :cool

@CB2001: I'll certainly have to pick up some Easy-Off and try repainting the grill.
if oven cleaner isn't strong enough (it seems to struggle with fresh paint) try DOT-3 brake fluid. it's a bit stronger, but not enough to melt plastic.

if oven cleaner isn't strong enough (it seems to struggle with fresh paint) try DOT-3 brake fluid. it's a bit stronger, but not enough to melt plastic.

Well, I've used Easy-Off Heavy Duty on items that I have overpainted in the past. But still good to know of alternatives. I may have to try that myself.

Last edited:
I feel like stripping all the paint will only damage the unit further; and is probably a bit more involved than I'm currently capable of. So I've abandoned all hope but, I'm okay with it as a first project. It was an absolute blast to work on. I'm sure I'll buy a new kit after I've racked up some more experience and (hopefully) make a true beauty :)

Posting a few images of the final (really crappy) product.

IMAG0244.jpgIMAG0245.jpgIMAG0246.jpgIMAG0249.jpgIMAG0251.jpgIMAG0250.jpg

i always had trouble getting cars to look the way i wanted, i think it has something to do with the fact that we as people know what the car should look like, unlike a spaceship which we can use some artistic license with.

Car models are so brutal because of what full size cars are like - very glossy surfaces, detailed exterior pieces fitting together with tight tolerances, and people are very familiar with them. Any kind of object like that will be a nightmare to try to scale down accurately. A model 1/25th the size must have all the panel fitment & surface finishes 25 times as perfect as the real thing.

Keep working at it and check out some tips from YouTube videos. Making model cars with a realistic "showroom" finish is not easy but with some practice, you will get there. Who knows, after you become an expert at it, you might want to revisit this build and make some changes. The most important part is that you had a blast building this. I can't wait to see the next one you build.

Not bad for your first attempt.

When painting, it is always best to lay down the paint in many light even coats instead of one heavy coat. As you get further along in your model building experience, an air brush is so much easier and gives a much more controlled paint job. I always used a light laquer primer coat before applying color paint. I can't remember the name of it, but it had a train on the front of the label. This stuff laid down beautifully and didn't have a lot of grain to it. Always paint in a well ventilated area. When gluing clear parts, I always used white Elmer's glue as it dries clear. And it doesn't take a lot of glue to make parts stick together. Don't use Krazy Glue on clear parts as it will fog the clear plastic. As someone else said, gently scrape or sand off the chrome plating where you want to glue it. For added realism, I used Bare Metal Foil for working on the molded in chrome trim pieces. It is a thin, self-adhesive backed chrome metal foil that simulates chrome extremely well. Using a new X-acto blade, you can cut a piece of foil just larger than what you want to cover, apply the foil and lightly burnish it down. Use the X-acto blade to gently trim the foil to size and remove the excess. This part is done after painting the car. What I did for the name badges or emblems, is to apply the metal foil before painting the car. That is right before. it can be a bit oversized, but try to trim close to the part being chromed. After painting the car and it has dried, I used a corner of a paper towel that was folded to provide some stiffness to it. The final strip of the piece I was working with was around 1/8" x 2-3". I would dip the end of the strip into some paint thinner so it was wet, but not dripping, and then gently wipe the top of the chromed part to remove the layer of paint. You will end up with scale looking script or emblems. And as you get better with your building and painting skills, you can also get into wet sanding your paint job just like they do with real cars. You have to be so very careful that you don't sand all the way through the paint to the plastic. I used sanding pads that went from around 400 grit all the way to 12,000 grit. Start with the lowest grit and gently sand all of the painted areas. Do this until you get an overall dull finish on your model. Move to the next grit, say 600 grit, and sand until you remove all the scratches caused by the 400 grit pad. Continue moving all the way up to the 12,000 grit where you should end up with a very smooth and glossy paint finish. Then, to top off the paint, I would lightly spray Future floor polish directly through my airbrush to apply a long lasting clear finish on the model. Don't use Future on any water based paints as it will craze the paint. Works great on enamel and laquer paints. I have models that are 20 years old and with a light dusting, look like they were built yesterday. Can't say enough good things about Future. I've heard of people using Future on clear parts to give the part a scale glass look to it. I was never able to do this successfully and have it work. Also, this stuff would be done before assembling your model. Let the paint dry thoroughly as well. When masking, you can use low tack painters tape. Apply a strip of it to a piece of glass and then use a sharp X-acto knife and with a straight edge, trim off one side of the tape. This will get red of the fuzzys normally found along the edge of masking tape as well as removing a bit more of the tackiness of the adhesive.

I know this is a lot of info and it is more for when you become an advanced modeler and painter. Be patient when building and painting models. If you start getting frustrated with something, take a break from it and tackle it at another time. Keep a clean work area, have lots of good light and a set of very good paint brushes for doing the detail work. I used to build car models and compete with them at model shows. I've taken a few first awards along with a best historic vehicle in show which was kind of cool. I got to be a bit fanatical about it by adding plug wires, brake lines, hose clamps, custom interiors and paint jobs, etc. It was also a great bonding experience with my young son at the time.

If I may offer a few suggestions for your next attempt:

That metal-flake paint doesn't scale well at all.
Next time try painting the whole body plain old silver - just silver, not metal-flake or anything.
Then, after the silver has cured, spray on a few coats of transparent blue - Testors makes one in a spray can, it's a lacquer, I believe.
Build the blue up slowly in thin coats.
Once that's cured, mask off and spray your stripes. Use electrical tape - it will give you really crisp lines and won't harm the paint underneath.
Spray quick, light coats. Don't try to do it all at once.
Once everything has cured, give the whole body a coat of Future.
Also coat your "glass" with Future, before you do anything with it. It makes it easier to work with, keeps it cleaner, and looks more like real glass.

Don't give up! Looking forward to your next one!

Or, you can kick it old school and use fingernail polish.
That's what I did as a kid before Testors started making the cool automotive lacquers.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back