Copyright/trademarks

Laura28

Hi there, I'm super confused by this.

I enquired about selling sculptures that are copied after film/tv characters (just curiosity once I get good at sculpting)
And people say most have these laws attached where you are not allowed to sell or advertise replicas etc.
I've seen so many replicas of the same movie characters I was enquiring about, so wonder how it works?

a lot of people on here show their work mostly from movies, is it different if you're showing to sell them?

Thanks for your help

i'd just go ahead and do it until some big wig told me i can't.
mostly we're so small they don't wanna waist the time and money.
and even if they did by that time you already banked a ton of cash so you can say "ok i'll stop" and move on to the next one lol

What he said, unfortunately. If you have a product you wish to sell, and you want to do it legally, the best thing you can do is put your walking shoes on and start calling around. But most companies hire artists. They don't buy as much, because the product departments have a very specific design in mind. You might get lucky, but you would do well to build your portfolio and document it well. Then compile a list of companies you would like to work for and submit your "resume" to them. If you get lucky, you will get a call from one of them to commission your work for them. If you do your research you can find interviews of popular sculptor's networks like Sideshow and McFarlane... they will tell you how hard it is to be a giant in this industry. and that is why you see so many "Han Solos". If your work is clean and sharp, and you don't sell a hundred of what-ever-it-is, a large company won't waste $10,000 on court fees. like ultraman said, you might get a Cease and Desist order. If you're smart, you'll comply, and 9 times out of 10 that will be the end of it. But it is still a gamble, and even Han's luck ran out a few times. I am still working on a portfolio, and nowhere near the selling mark, yet. Good luck. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back