Halo Fan Film Props

What's the purpose of the acid bath? I haven't heard of using that on 3D prints before.

The Printer I use which is a Dimension sst 1200es prints two kinds of filaments: Model filament and Support filament. The support material is built up to any undercuts your model may have. Then when you take the model off the tray, it'll be caked with support material. So you just toss it in the acid bath and the support will be dissolved. The model material, on the other hand, won't dissolve.

I thought you were using two different types of plastic; I saw the two different colors but I'd never heard of that before...

I thought you were using two different types of plastic; I saw the two different colors but I'd never heard of that before...

Now the Tacpad I just printed out was in a different color. I used some gray filament we had lying around. But you can definitely see the support, which is a dark brown color, when you look at the picture of the Spoofer when it was still on the tray.

Yeah it's super useful if you want to make working parts. You can print models out in literally any orientation without worrying about the material warping or being printed improperly.I can show you the process here.

I modeled a candy cane, because 1, they're delicious and 2. it works well for this example. lol.
Model.jpg

So there it is. A very bland looking candy cane modeled in SolidWorks. Next I save it out as an STL and open it up in the printer software, Catalyst.

Catalyst.jpg

Now printing in this orientation would be ludicrous and impractical but there are similar applications that are a bit more useful. Below, you can see the software writing the toolpath for both the model and support material. The model is red while the support is gray. And that's how it will print.

Support.jpg

Now this model, you could probably just break off of the support as it's not completely encapsulated, so you wouldn't necessarily need to run it through the acid bath. The support material method is really good for making working, moving components as the support can separate model material where it would normally bond to itself. You can also print multiple parts stacked on top of each other. Here's a working ABS adjustable wrench that I printed last week.

20150427_113537.jpg

Hey RPF! Got some updates for ya! The Spoofer is sooooo close to being done. I've just got to wire the electronics together and we'll be in business. I got the keypad working today. I got some EL panel from Adafruit.

20150430_195324.jpg

Then I chopped it down to size so it would fit in the keypad slots. As you can see, I had to open the holes at the bottom of the keypad slots so it would fit. The original plan was to have two separate EL Panels for each slot, but I figured it would be easier to wire and power if it were just one cut up into the proper shape.

20150430_195259.jpg

Next, I fed the Panel through the gaps in the bottom and turned the sucker on.

20150430_195242.jpg

I painted some clear acrylic black, then I etched it and cut it in the laser cutter. After that, I fitted them into the slots.

20150430_194650.jpg

Oh and as you can see I painted the Spoofer. Here's a better picture of the paint job.

20150430_194756.jpg

Once everything gets wired up, I'll adhere the keypad into the slots. Then everything will work... hopefully. Let me know what you guys think. Any questions, comments, and critiques are welcome.

Very clever way to do the buttons. And the paint job looks great.

...For someone who's never played anything higher than Halo 2, what's the spoofer do?

...And did I say I liked your postcard? I like those kind of 'big letter' postcards; I've created a few myself: http://bullfrog-1066.deviantart.com/prints/

...And, in case you had to draw that Fronk's font by hand (God forbid), that's one of the "Mickey Mouse" fonts...

-MJ

Very clever way to do the buttons. And the paint job looks great.

...For someone who's never played anything higher than Halo 2, what's the spoofer do?

...And did I say I liked your postcard? I like those kind of 'big letter' postcards; I've created a few myself: http://bullfrog-1066.deviantart.com/prints/

...And, in case you had to draw that Fronk's font by hand (God forbid), that's one of the "Mickey Mouse" fonts...

-MJ

Those postcards are awesome! Love the Arkham one. As for the Spoofer, it can actually be seen in Halo 1. It's in one cutscene of one level. In the level, 343 Guilty Spark, it is seen being attached to a door to unlock it. Much like when Hudson runs a bypass in Aliens.

The Spoofer's just about done, I just have to shrink the power supply so it'll all fit in the case. While I've been working on that, however, I've been mucking around in SolidWorks. I had originally sculpted one of these, but the cast came out larger and bulkier than I wanted. Not sure if I'll print these, as they're extremely small, but they're good for coming up with a design that works in 2.5D. I made a Space Warfare Badge, which is a take on the Navy's Surface Warfare Badge, as well as a Frigate Combat Patrol Warfare Badge, which riffs off of the Submarine Combat Patrol Warfare Badge.

Space Warfare.png

Frigate Combat Patrol.png

Lemme know what you guys think. As always, questions, comments, critiques are always welcome.

Hey there RPF. Got something a little bit different today. This is a short film that my friend and I put together. We're trying to win the MyRodeReel competition, and every vote helps. Plus we did some pretty cool practical effects for it. This also sort of serves as a preview to the production quality we'll be striving for with the Halo fan film. Check it out Here.

Breathe.jpg

Last edited:
We're getting there, everyone. Had a meeting with our DP last week and we're going through the script and coming up with a shot list. We've just about scouted all the locations and the short is nearly completely cast. There's still a little bit of prop work to finish up on. The spoofer for example: I have everything painted and wired, but I've done a few tests of running video from my ipod to the screen and it just kills the battery. Now keep in mind, this is an old 5th Generation iPod Video, so it's got some miles on it. It is for that very reason that I'm replacing the battery. I ordered a replacement the other day, so once it comes in and I get it replaced, I'll make a test video of the working spoofer.

Holy cow, do I have an update for you guys. I just got a package from Shapeways with 3 models in it. They're the warfare badges I modeled and they turned out great. Check 'em out.

DSC04363.JPG

DSC04364.JPG

DSC04365.JPG

DSC04366.JPG

DSC04367.JPG

Let me know what you guys think. Also, since principal photography is going to start this month, I'll be going dark until filming is done. So I'll see you all on the other side.

Wow, those do look great. It looks like they polished the hell out of those. They're not precious metal, are they? What materials and finishing options did you select?

-MJ

Wow, those do look great. It looks like they polished the hell out of those. They're not precious metal, are they? What materials and finishing options did you select?

-MJ

Indeed they are precious metal. One is polished silver while the other two are polished brass.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back