Ascension (SyFy Series)

Vivek

Master Member
Ascension Official Trailer #1 (2014) - Syfy TV Series HD - YouTube

The SyFy mini series Ascension premieres on Monday, December 15. There are total 6 episodes and they will air two episodes each night for three consecutive nights.

I am digging the premise.

From wiki:

"Ascension is inspired by the real-life Project Orion that existed under the administration of President John F. Kennedy. The show sets up an alternate version of reality in which, in 1963, President Kennedy and the U.S. government, fearing the Cold War will become hot and lead to the destruction of the Earth, decided to launch a covert space mission. They sent 600 men, women and children into space on a century-long voyage aboard the USS Ascension, a massive, self-sustaining generation ship. Their mission is to colonize Proxima Centauri, assuring the survival of the human race. Nearly 50 years into the journey (i.e. in the present), as they approach the point of no return, the mysterious murder of a young woman — the first homicide since their departure— causes the ship's crew to question the true nature of their mission."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds kind of like The 100. Kind of. Ok so maybe not a lot, but it reminds me of The 100 for some reason.

Think i'll wait til I know it'll survive. Been burned by skiffy too many times where they kill stuff too early/just as it's getting good.

Think i'll wait til I know it'll survive. Been burned by skiffy too many times where they kill stuff too early/just as it's getting good.
As mentioned above, it's a mini series of 6 episodes airing for 3 nights. That's it.

Of course they might expand it as a full time series if this does well.

Well, that was an unexpected twist at the end. In a way, a bit disappointing, but from a story telling perspective, I suppose it makes more sense for how to handle this series. Thoughts? Theories?

My guess? Multifold experiment. First, a societal experiment to see how long duration space flight works out with multigenerational crew. Second, genetic or chemical experimentation on live subjects. The whole 'sedation in antiradiation' rooms seemed odd to me right away. Maybe they use the "occasional radiation storm" when they want to dose the crew with mutagenic substances with the hopes of breeding a new level of humanity? That seems to be where the little psychic/crazy girl fits in on things. Quite honestly, I was getting a bad vibe from her character, a little too much like the Cousin Oliver from "Battlestar Galactica 1980" series.

I'll probably watch the rest of the episodes and see where it goes.

I have no interest in this. I was possibly going to give the next part a chance, but the ending totally killed any interest I had in it. Even Tricia Helfer's butt can't save it for me. :lol

i found it interesting. but some of the tech they have is interesting. especially the portable device they have.
ascension portable pc found.png

Keep watching. It gets better. A little awkward with my son...Oops.
It is like Mad Men meets Truman Show in Space, sort of, with some real housewives...

Yeah, going exactly where I thought. 4 hours down, I'll finish up. I'm kind of disappointed it isn't a real generational starship, but then again, what could they do with a miniseries about that when it's only half way there. The logistics of one from the 1960s is pretty unbelievable anyway. I also haven't heard anything about how they explain why they have gravity on the ship if it's in space.

There was some bad editing in the first episode. Things back on Earth jumped a bit like they edited out some important info. In for a penny in for a pound....Ill finish it.

Ascension mini series was some good entertainment with quite a few surprises. With that neat ending, there are lot of possibilities now. I hope the series gets picked up.

I say pass. The first episode was interesting. It just got worse further it went. All the time spent on the drama in the last episode of the oxygen levels was pointless. The fact the ship is just sitting in a underground vault made it silly. The last bit with the 'star child', really they called her that, teleporting the guy away to Alpha Proxima or wherever was mildly interesting but seemed again like the Dr Zee from BSG1980 or the superkid from the V miniseries. Little too much.

It was like a 6 hour long pilot and effectively wrapped up nothing. Everything was left as an open question. If you do a mini series you wrap up a lot of stuff, but leave some things open for a followup on a series. I won't even go back to it if it gets a longer series.

Totally want this to continue. It is a fantastic premise and would make a good series. The end, with the XO appearing on the alien planet opens up the whole stargate premise. This is a excellent idea.

I want it to go one season and be a good one. Not fizzle out into cancellation.

My SyFy writing debut:

The director guy frees the crew and dumps them off in a Walmart to get a crash course in '2014'. They revolt, get the ship running for real and GTFO. The Kardashians are killed in the ensuing launch. Star child zapps the company executives to Alpha Uranus. Captain Square Jaw sets up a lotto system for all decks to get in on the 'stewardess' action ........ E tickets for everyone!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back