Two Hobbit costumes

saluksic

Here is a generic hobbit costume I wore for Halloween this year. It involved one productive trip to the thrift store, an unmodified sheet opf cloth from the fabric store, and a tiny bit of wool roving from the crafts store. I put it together the night before Halloween, and I think it came out real nice. The pipe I borrowed from a friend, and the wool is super glued onto my feet.

photo_zpsdc7af56c.jpg

For the premier of the Hobbit III: Bilbo's Revenge we are hosting a "dwarf feast" before a midnight showing next week. I decided that I needed a dwarf costume, and narrowed in on Gloin. I bough loads more wool roving and a child's snow cap, and hot-glued small patches of the wool on the head and chin-strap. I just need to add some jewelry, and a bit more bulk to the beard.

photo_zpsf138301b.jpg

The next hardest part are the gloves, which I wanted to get out of the way. I used a cheap pair of hardware store gloves as a frame, and cut out pieces of craft foam to go on top. These will get painted after the obligtory 50 coats of PVA.

I only have a few more days, so hopefully the next few night are as productive as the last two!

(Does anyone know if modpodge or sanding out brush-stokes can quicken the time on PVA sealing? I'd like to avoid adding a bunch of thin coats in favor of a smaller amount of thicker layers.)

Dude, I am LOVING what you have done on Gloin so far. Those gloves look super good! And your hobbit costume is really cute! I hope to see lots of updates in the future. (-:

The gloves look great!

I don't know about sanding thicker coats, but I've sealed with PVA/water only using 3-5 coats before painting and not had much problem with it, so you might be able to get away with fewer coats if you're in a rush. Though I've never done anything that will take as much abuse as gloves, so your mileage may vary!

I need to make a big bulky beard soon and have been looking at crepe wool hair but haven't been able to find the colour I'm looking for, so I might look into wool roving too. How much did you use for your beard (approximately)?

I'm not sure why I've taken so long to update this. I finished the costume with the help from some seamstresses the night that we hosted a big party for the midnight opening.

I finished the gauntlets:

I bought some clothes at the thrift store and some fabric from Joanns, which was good material, but too light:

...so I dyed it darker. Perfect match! This took a long time, tons of rinsing, and was a learning experience as I've never dyed things before. I boiled a pack of cloth dye then soaked this huge length of material in it.

We cut and started sewing the taberd. My friends Kyla and Alexxa do this as a hobby and for local theater, so they were lifesavers, making this piece in every free minute they had:

Here is the final version, at our Dwarf Feast '14, after seeing the movie:

And a group shot of some of the other guests:

I look much taller in person.

I love this costume and it was a thrill to pull it together in a little over a week. It is such a cool looking outfit, and I like seeing it hanging in my closet and having the wig hung up behind my TV. Thanks for looking!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back