Aliens "Hero"(ish) Pulse rifle build: w/APS CAM870 shotgun 'guts' (DONE!!!)

Re: Another Aliens "Hero"(ish) Pulse rifle build: w/APS CAM870 shotgun 'guts' (DONE

Looks freaking gorgeous! i'm in love ....:$

Re: Another Aliens "Hero"(ish) Pulse rifle build: w/APS CAM870 shotgun 'guts' (DONE

Thanks guys. Def need to rearrange my setup to better feature it.

16.3lbs, btw. In case anyone was wondering. I am a bit surprised it didn't weigh more, but all the airsoft guns were aluminum.

That's true...it will be lighter...if all steel parts are used , its actually twice the weight.....very unpleasant to hold for long periods of time !!!...after an hour...OMG...LOL...it lets you know the weights there for sure !!!

Tiny update regarding the 'display' Overall it needs a bit of tweaking and cleaning up, but, but the new weapons wall is coming together. Also, of course the smartgun up top is not anywhere near finished but I just wanted to be sure it had its place marked out.

20150405_122119.jpg
20150405_123006.jpg

It's official.....I hate you:lol

Every single part that you have in all your photos is illegal in my country.

I would love to build what you have created, you have done an excellent job...well done!

Tiny update regarding the 'display' Overall it needs a bit of tweaking and cleaning up, but, but the new weapons wall is coming together. Also, of course the smartgun up top is not anywhere near finished but I just wanted to be sure it had its place marked out.

View attachment 462069
View attachment 462070
After seeing this sir, I hold you in the highest regards....that is absolutely stunning....I know you are one proud collector ......any parts left over from the PR build , if so PM me bigbisont....got an IDEA ....if you still do....hehe

Hello and thinks for the guide. I am basically building the same thing with all the metal bits including real spas heat cage and just got my Cam 870 in. I have a few questions regarding how you connected the shotgun to the grenade launcher block and specifically what type and size of machine screws did you use to attach the 870 receiver to the Thompson. also could you give some detailed pics of where you drilled through the 970 receiver, I think I see where you might have but am not for sure lol. The cam 870 is too expensive to mess up on :) again thanks for this amazingly helpful guide good sir!

Hello and thinks for the guide. I am basically building the same thing with all the metal bits including real spas heat cage and just got my Cam 870 in. I have a few questions regarding how you connected the shotgun to the grenade launcher block and specifically what type and size of machine screws did you use to attach the 870 receiver to the Thompson. also could you give some detailed pics of where you drilled through the 970 receiver, I think I see where you might have but am not for sure lol. The cam 870 is too expensive to mess up on :) again thanks for this amazingly helpful guide good sir!

-For the grenade launcher block: It was made by SD Studios and came with the screws needed to secure it. Basically after you cut the magazine tube and barrel, you just slide them into and through the block. The screws on the side of the block are then tightened until the head of the screws pass through the block and dig into the barrel, grabbing everything tightly. It is kind of hard to describe, but very intuitive when you have the block. Which GL block did you plan to use?

-For the drill point in the receiver: I only drilled the one hole in the receiver which was diagrammed on post #10 on page one. On the CAM870 there is a stop that prevents the extraction bolt from going forward. That little block is removed by taking it out the 2 small screws. The gap that is left is the perfect place to drill as it lined up with primary screw for the foregrip on the thompson. Plus that indentation from the block allows the bolt head to be recessed enough that it doesnt empede the racking action. The bolt head essentially replaces the factor 'stop'.

20141209_185052.jpg

I don't recall for sure what thread the bolt was that I used, but it really doesnt matter. I had to drill out the thompson hole wider to get a heftier bolt anyways. Just get one meaty enough to make you feel secure, but is also has a flat enough head to not impede racking action.

The 2nd hole which holds the GL to the thompson was drilled in only the SPAS portion and continued through the cage into the existing hole that attached the barrel. (see post #6 on page 1, 3rd picture down). I don't recall the thread on that one either, but I just matched it up to the regular bolt that held the barrel on.

ThAnks for the response good sir I appreciate your help more than you know. I have the sdstudios block too. Unfortunately the AOW cam 870 is about 3/4 of an inch to short on the mag tube so I will have to have a custom extension piece made to fit the end while at the same time allowing the shotgun to be screwed in via machine screw on the front nade block piece. I will also have to cut off the AIW's verticals folding grip form the rack slides to that I can attach the spas grip.

Last edited:
This past summer I picked up a Kings Arms metal electric Thompson airsoft. I was thinking of buying the m41A kit from Evike for it. Is this a good kit? You guys builds are awesome, but I won't have the time or money anytime soon to attempt this level of awesomeness!

This past summer I picked up a Kings Arms metal electric Thompson airsoft. I was thinking of buying the m41A kit from Evike for it. Is this a good kit? You guys builds are awesome, but I won't have the time or money anytime soon to attempt this level of awesomeness!
Ok well that is a loaded question....it is a plastic kit, yes, Is it accurate to the pulse rifle, No
Is it something , most enjoy , to be as close as they can get for the little amount of money , Yes
Are the shrouds on the M41A kit from Evike , right along with all the other parts on that kit , No....all parts are wrong in size on the kit
Is this kit Nice to own , Yes
Are you looking to build a Prop of the M41A pulse rifle ???
Are you looking for accuracy or something to tinker with and play airsoft games ???
What is it , that you are really wanting to accomplish , its hard to answer your question entirely , without more specifics on what your intentions are exactly !!!
That is a big question for anyone wanting props , or just wanting to be making something from scratch for fun ??? With details , so many wonderful people can give you more information , when they know all these things...

I will 2nd what Guy just said. Its a great quick and 'ready to go' item that can be fun if you do actual air-softing.

It is not particularly accurate, however. If you are looking for movie-accurate details, you will end up replacing a lot of parts and modifying the shrouds.
I used an evike shroud for my 'light weight' build. First thing I did was chop up the shrouds pretty heavily. I couldn't use many of the parts beyond that, unfortunately.

20150608_191041.jpg

Here is a fun compilation I slapped together so you can see some of the other options in how they differ from each other.
Pulse Compilation.jpg

*If citations/credits are not sufficient and/or use of member's images are otherwise not authorized, then my apologies. Let me know and I will take it down.

Attachments

• 20150618_202534.jpg
    20150618_202534.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
ThAnks for the response good sir I appreciate your help more than you know. I have the sdstudios block too. Unfortunately the AOW cam 870 is about 3/4 of an inch to short on the mag tube so I will have to have a custom extension piece made to fit the end while at the same time allowing the shotgun to be screwed in via machine screw on the front nade block piece. I will also have to cut off the AIW's verticals folding grip form the rack slides to that I can attach the spas grip.

Ah, so you got the shorty version. Yes, unfortunately you will need to get creative. I believe standard 1" aluminium 'tube' (not 'pipe') will be a good "extension" as it fits snugly into the SD block and is the same diameter as the magazine tube. How you connect the extension is up to you though! You got me there...

Thanks for the info guys. I think for right now I really am more in the neighborhood of simply fun/tinkering with something rather than hard core prop replicating right now, so I will probably go with the Evike kit with the advance info I got from you guys. I had some fun doing up a nerf stampede and a smaller spring airsoft thompson m41A conversions for Dragon Con though I didn't finish either so now I'll have 3 to work on, which just means 3 times the fun, eh?!?!

To the OP thanks again for sharing your building steps, such an amazing thread and wealth of knowledge here! I took what I could from your process and tried to apply it where applicable. So I finally got the AOW cam 870 installed just waiting shipment of an adapter and stock detent from Matsucorp. Everything is solid as a rock. To make the AOW cam work I just used a dremel to take away from the SDStudio grenade block. Had to round it out just enough so the end cap of the 870 shell tube would fit. I was able to cut the trigger guard just enough so that it sets on top of the grenade/shroud trigger guard. I'll post up some pics so I can add to this kick ass thread. So much information available here for those wanting to build there own replica. Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to add sites to the carry handle. Thinking of going with some kind of rail system so I can use my magpul mbus2 flip sights. Alao the paint job on this thing is beat to hell from skirmishing lol, very worn but i like it.

Ideas for placement of rail with mbus2 flip sights
IMG_2878.JPGIMG_2880.JPGIMG_2881.JPGIMG_2882.JPG
Yes I realize the rear sight is backwards but hear are some more pics with them the right way and with my mobius action camera.
IMG_2889.JPGIMG_2892.JPG

Some footage of me using this glorious weapon in the heat of battle!
https://youtu.be/jMW_r_-GC68

Attachments

• IMG_2885.JPG
    IMG_2885.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2887.JPG
    IMG_2887.JPG
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
To the OP thanks again for sharing your building steps, such an amazing thread and wealth of knowledge here! I took what I could from your process and tried to apply it where applicable. So I finally got the AOW cam 870 installed just waiting shipment of an adapter and stock detent from Matsucorp.

Hey, glad you found it useful! That is exactly why I try to document even the tedious stuff. I always hope others can use the info and maybe learn from my mistakes!

Looking good, btw!

I was wondering where you put the airsoft battery now the cam 870 is taking up the space in the spas cage?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back