Koolshade sources

Ok so in further talks with koolshade, the engineer there is saying if there is enough demand, he will build a small machine to compress the louvres from 17 to 23 just like the original. It would be uncoated so would need painting. It would be more than the £70/m2 due to the work but considerably less than the £215. Does anyone think they have a market?

btw for those that have asked, I'm waiting for them to check how much you need for a tie.

Thanks Darthgarth for all the work you are doing with this.I am sure there are people that have built this that can tell us how many m2 are required.it would be great if someone could send him templates so he could cut it for us too.

Thanks Darthgarth for all the work you are doing with this.I am sure there are people that have built this that can tell us how many m2 are required.it would be great if someone could send him templates so he could cut it for us too.

Sorry guys, I haven't the time to be cutting stuff for anyone, I also couldn't take it if I mucked it up with someone else's fabric. It gets worse, because to get the best price, we also need to make sure the cutting is optimised their end (least wastage) for them. Of course silly me, I haven't asked the roll size yet. If I have the wing shapes, they must have an optimisation program.

Me and a buddy would buy some uncut!! Do you know how much we need and the price? I would like a little extra for some other kits I have to use it on?

Last edited:
Garreth if you can wait a few days I'm re-patterning the TIE wing templates. Between the eFx, the Nice'N variants and potentially Julien's new offering there is no one-size-fits-all template that will work for each TIE kit. Until the differences are documented, I wouldn't be comfortable providing a standard set of drawings for an estimation of the exact square footage required for the wings of a single TIE Fighter. In the past, I always encouraged people to order a little more than they think they'd need to provide some breathing room between the template drawings before cutting the Koolshade. Always better to be safe than sorry..

With new kits and new movies in tow, I wouldn't be surprised if there was enough of a spike in demand to make this a worthwhile venture for the company to pursue. The thought of having this stuff produced again is pretty exciting!

carter at koolshade has given this size as a kit.

The 1off piece of mesh for a TIE Fighter would measure 610mm(w) x 1830mm(h) or 1.12m². i dont know if that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so in further talks with koolshade, the engineer there is saying if there is enough demand, he will build a small machine to compress the louvres from 17 to 23 just like the original. It would be uncoated so would need painting. It would be more than the £70/m2 due to the work but considerably less than the £215. Does anyone think they have a market?

btw for those that have asked, I'm waiting for them to check how much you need for a tie.

At around/over £70/m2 I'm in if this goes ahead.

Rob

I'm in for a HUGE roll! 2 foot tall x 6 foot Wide is enough with material for mistakes. Can you see what that would cost. I'm about to re release the last version of our TIE kit and if this works out I can add the Shade to the kit and forget about the damn resin Koolshade!!! Please let me know.
I might be interested in enough for at least 50 kits. 100 ' x 300'

Steve

Last edited:
With less resin does that mean the kit will be cheaper or more expensive with REAL Koolshade? What about a kit without Koolshade?

I'm in for a HUGE roll! 2 foot tall x 6 foot Wide is enough with material for mistakes. Can you see what that would cost. I'm about to re release the last version of our TIE kit and if this works out I can add the Shade to the kit and forget about the damn resin Koolshade!!! Please let me know.
I might be interested in enough for at least 50 kits. 100 ' x 300'

Steve

Hey Garreth, I cooked up a drawing in Rhino to help visualize the placement of the templates.

Carter's size isn't quite ideal. Two feet wide with the loop wires running vertically is great for keeping the size of the shipping tube short (reducing shipping costs), but it is inefficient when the wing templates are laid out on it. 2 1/2 feet wide is much better, allowing two rows of the 4 larger (top/bottom) pie sections with the other wing sections below them all sharing a horizontal cutting line which can be sliced through in one go.

The illustration should hopefully do a bit better job at explaining things, with Carter's sheet on the left and mine on the right.

12 square feet turns out to be much more than needed for a TIE. I came out to about 8.08 square feet as a bare minimum, but with the slight variations in sizing of the kits out there I'd say adding an extra 8 inches below the bottom row of pie sections on my sheet would be the way to go, making the ideal dimensions for a TIE kit 1189mm vertically x 762mm horizontally. (9.75 sq. ft.)

On the sheet I came up with, you even get some "free" shade to the right for other projects requiring smaller pieces.

Hope it helps

IGbG7t3.jpg

carter at koolshade has given this size as a kit.

The 1off piece of mesh for a TIE Fighter would measure 610mm(w) x 1830mm(h) or 1.12m². i dont know if that helps

IGbG7t3.jpg

That's really cool, I'll send it to carter in the morning. I know carter is concerned that the fabric is not guaranteed to be perfect, it may have some dents and dings in it, this doesn't affect performance when used to cool buildings but does when used in a tie fighter wing. He's a smart guy, I'll post up his reply

Yea, the stuff is quite fragile. And it's only safe to cut it (with shears) in the direction the top of the louvers are facing. Going against the "grain" can cause warpage to the surrounding areas depending on which angle you start the cut from.

If I understood correctly, it's the shade without the black finish which will be pressed into 23 louvers that may have some damage, or was that the vintage roll at the higher price that has the dents?

If I can be of any more help, let me know!

That's really cool, I'll send it to carter in the morning. I know carter is concerned that the fabric is not guaranteed to be perfect, it may have some dents and dings in it, this doesn't affect performance when used to cool buildings but does when used in a tie fighter wing. He's a smart guy, I'll post up his reply

Last edited:
The TIE's had scuffs and dents from handling... Draglink when i said 2 x 6 its was two feet tall with louvers running north and south and 6 feet wide.. but they cut the pieces in half and shipped 2 sections of 2' x 3' material and I had extra 4 or 5 panels... roughly...

Got this back, hope it makes sense to some people.

Hi Garreth,

That’s the first nesting I have seen. Pretty interesting!

FYI the orientation of the fabric as we write it would make these pieces 6’ wide x 2’ drop (which we cut in half for shipping) and 4.8’ wide x 2.5’ drop.

As far as pricing goes they are identical in square meters so the price is the same for both as far as material cost. However, the 4.8’ panel would be cut from a 60” piece so we would have to charge for an extra cut. It makes that option not look as good. It seems an odd width to ask for when 48” is a standard. We can cut a 4’ x 2.5’ panel that would do the job at a lower cost with less wastage.

This unfortunately is not an option with the LSA. The only roll we have is 72” so we can only offer it in 2off 36” x 24” pieces.

1off 1220mm x 762mm (48” x 30”) standard mesh would be £79.00 + carriage + VAT.
2off 914mm x 610mm (36” x 24”) standard mesh would be £94.60 + carriage + VAT.
2off 914mm x 610mm (36” x 24”) LSA(original) mesh would be £239.30 + carriage + VAT.

i think thats it as far as kits are concerned, as always, dont forget vat is 20% in the uk.

shipping is £35 plus vat anywhere in the u.s. too

At the cheapest option you're talking 95 quid plus probably another 10-15 on top for postage. I think I'm going to pass on this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back