air dry clay, question for you sculptors

streetjudge79

Master Member
I’m trying out acmi brand air dry clay for diorama making. After it dried, it was all cracked. How do I avoid it cracking?
Thanks
Steve

Air drying clay will pretty much always crack to some degree as it shrink when the moist is dried out. Only tip I have is to build thin layers and try to keep it moist by covering it with saran wrap or something...

Keep it moist with a misting bottle. Cover with a damp cloth or towel when not sculpting. Air dry clay will almost always crack somewhere when you dry it. Why don't you make a mold of the diorama base and then cast it out in polyurethane resin.

My advice is stop using air dry clay; it doesn't take long before that stuff crumbles into dust. Your skills will transfer if you use Super Sculpey, instead.

Last edited:
I suppose if you must use air dry clay, you can wait until your finished piece cracks, and then fill the new cracks with more air dry clay until it can no longer contract. It tends to be quite a brittle medium though.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back