Warrior Hawkgirl - Articulating Wings + Armor

Not yet, I can't! I'm trying to be mostly done by March, which is starting to look a bit daunting, what with traveling over the holidays O_O

Last edited:
Maybe another way to go here regarding the retractable wings but there is always a kid's size Dark knight Batman retractable wings set on Ebay. I have a set of these but never used it. it is sturdy, pretty light weight and works on a pulley string system. You could attach some poles or parts to lengthen the wing section and go from there. Just a thought. Progress is awesome! Hawkgirl has always been a favorite of mine and this version is great.

I wouldn't wire a string of LEDs. You can solder in higher powered LEDs but then you will need to double check your voltage and resistors.

Actually, what acesh007 suggests is pretty easy and doesn't demand a high amount of skill.

Here's the simplest circuit diagram possible for a high power LED with switch:

If you follow the digram exectly and go for a 3.7v lithium battery, the 2w resistor value is 1.8 ohm.

The switch in the diagram can be swopped for any other type like a slide switch or rocker switch (both of which are fairly low profile).

If you really don't feel up to tackling it, drop me a PM after the holidays, I'd be happy to help out, that mace looks awesome, can't wait to see the costume when its done :thumbsup

I've been looking for an explanation like this - thank you for clarifying.
I'd like to make repulsors for the Iron Man gloves using this LED:
View attachment 418404
May I ask what resistor and battery holder you need to make this 12V LED work?

I've been looking for an explanation like this - thank you for clarifying.
I'd like to make repulsors for the Iron Man gloves using this LED:
View attachment 418404
May I ask what resistor and battery holder you need to make this 12V LED work?

Could you send me a link to the product via PM? I don't want to hijack this awesome thread but I need to know a few more details before I can get back to you.

Maybe another way to go here regarding the retractable wings but there is always a kid's size Dark knight Batman retractable wings set on Ebay.

That's an excellent thought! (And why didn't these wings exist when I was a kid???) At the moment, I have aluminum tent poles and PVC already cut to length, plus all the nuts/bolts/washers required - all of this I had on hand, which adds no cost to the project. Those wings are awesome, but I'd like to try my freebies first. If that fails, I know where to go!

Actually, what acesh007 suggests is pretty easy and doesn't demand a high amount of skill.

Here's the simplest circuit diagram possible for a high power LED with switch:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee395/Can-obi/IMG_20141109_182646.jpg

If you follow the digram exectly and go for a 3.7v lithium battery, the 2w resistor value is 1.8 ohm.

The switch in the diagram can be swopped for any other type like a slide switch or rocker switch (both of which are fairly low profile).

If you really don't feel up to tackling it, drop me a PM after the holidays, I'd be happy to help out, that mace looks awesome, can't wait to see the costume when its done :thumbsup

This is great! So, do you think this can be incorporated into something like this fading LED kit? It's the pulse/fade I'm really interested in with regard to wiring my own circuitry. Thank you!

It can do, but not right out of the box as it were. They'll be made for standard LEDs (approx 25mA ea), whereas the star LEDs need around 700mA.

Best thing to do is ask them if they make the modules in house. If they do then it will be possible for them to replace the resistors for you with ones appropriate for the star LED, you can then try and nagotiate for them to do so on your behalf. If they don't, ask if they can provide a data sheet for it as I should be able to identify which ones need replacing and at what value.

I'll have a look about to see if I can find one similar that will work with the star LED without having to mod it.

Had a look around. Came across lots of them, but most aren't suitable. I did however find this neet gadget which could be incorporated into the handle of the mace if it's hollow: ebay item: 360764019853

It's cheap too which is always a bonus. A small amount of modding will be required, though nothing as awkward a swapping resistors.

Had a look around. Came across lots of them, but most aren't suitable. I did however find this neet gadget which could be incorporated into the handle of the mace if it's hollow: ebay item: 360764019853

It's cheap too which is always a bonus. A small amount of modding will be required, though nothing as awkward a swapping resistors.

What a neat little gadget! With an awesome range of lighting options, too. Unfortunately the shaft is not hollow (wooden rake handle), but there's absolutely no reason I couldn't cut a fitted, rectangular hole in the bottom of the mace and seat the control in there - add in a blocky, transitional attachment to the handle to make it look intentional.

What's even better is that they offer completed options in blue! Do you think the output of this finished kit would be bright enough to notice in a well-lit room? Heck, for under 10 bucks, I'm going to try it. Thank you so much for digging that up!

No problem Spring, glad I was able to help :)

That little gadget packs quite a punch for its size I must say, might have to get myself one to play with.

It kimda looks suspiciously like they used a standard 25mA LED on the end section in the site pic, but could be wrong. If it does turnsout not to be bright enough just drop me a PM and I can knock up a ster LED end you can plug in directly instead.

Here's a couple pics just to give an idea as to how bright the star LEDs are:

The LED colour for this one is Royal Blue (my eldest posing for the shots there).

There is a lighter blue available as well, but I iked that one better.

No problem Spring, glad I was able to help :)

That little gadget packs quite a punch for its size I must say, might have to get myself one to play with.

It kimda looks suspiciously like they used a standard 25mA LED on the end section in the site pic, but could be wrong. If it does turnsout not to be bright enough just drop me a PM and I can knock up a ster LED end you can plug in directly instead.

Here's a couple pics just to give an idea as to how bright the star LEDs are:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee395/Can-obi/IMG_20140211_172355.jpg
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums...8A-B6D5-89F7ACCA4CAB-256-000000380CB4481D.jpg

The LED colour for this one is Royal Blue (my eldest posing for the shots there).
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee395/Can-obi/IMG_20140211_173818.jpg

There is a lighter blue available as well, but I iked that one better.

I'm just going to say, that's parenting done right. And the lighting is fantastic! I'll shoot you a message if the LED I got is lackluster (in comparison, it will be), because the star LED you rigged looks amazing.

How is your project progressing,Spring?

The holidays rolled in and slowed everything down :p I was able to do some trimming and detailing on the armor last night, but I'm heading out of town again this evening for New Years. I'm hoping to really put a dent in things this weekend!

So the holidays really shut me down on progress, but I was able to get a few hours of armor detailing. Details are strips of Worbla, straightened and tooled with a pair of scissors while hot. One of my favorite things about Worbla is the fact that scraps can be heated and smushed into a "clay" of sorts. All of the spikes are made this way.

IMG_5819.JPG

The details are taking me years, but will hopefully pay off after the paint job.

Last edited:
It might have taken you some time, but the details looks simply amazing :O Awesome job spring :thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back