DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Bummer you couldn't get any pics, but thank you so much for taking notes, that is a huge help.

Thanks for confirming my theory about the flash hider being aluminum. :)

That spacer being three parts makes sense for why we thought it was rounded.

I'm not sure about the grey gloopy glue stuff. In the pics it always looked kind of yellow to me.

Just went to the exhibition again, cloakroom was enforced so had to leave bag and dslr with them. Pocket camera only but got caught between getting it out and taking the shot. Got out a notebook and started writing in it and another lady asked me to stop using my pencil, then handed me a bizarre disposable plastic pencil that is like an ice cream spoon at the cinema. Why? No answer!. Abeno Harukas Art Museum sucks.

Anyway I wrote with it.

-Flash hider is 100% aluminium. The exposed bits had minor scratches on, its definitely aluminium.
-Behind the flash hider looks darkened black.
-There is a lip illusion, its a 45 degree slope preceding something like a 30 degree slope. I will draw a diagram later, got rough dimensions.

-The mgc barrel was cut approx 1cm shorter than the edge of the flash hider. Its plugged and the plug is black.
-Inside the hood of the flash hider is darkened with the same weathering as on the outside.
-It is a black rattle can overspray weathering job.
-The lines are not pencil, it's like a 2mm marker pen. A little translucent or perhaps ink fading has occured.

-The spacer is made from 2 things. An approx 8mm brass thing, straight edges. Ontop of this is some silvery metal thats about 2mm thick. They are identical diameters and are about 2.5mm wider in diameter than the thorens above.
-Actually, the thinner spacer component looked the same thickness as the thorens but was 2.5mm (ish) wider.

-Thorens staining is a grey gloopy looking filler or glue that is unknown to me. Its about 1cm in diameter but irregular as you'd expect. It's slightly glossy in an irregular way. The closest colour match I can think of is the old lego light grey colour.

-Thorens is screwed on with phillips screws. Maybe 3.5 or 4mm screw heads, domed head. Don't know the official engineer name - panhead?
-The screws don't overhang the thorens at all. Theyre flush with the edge completely.

Thank you! Does the black rattle can mean the FH is painted black? can you clarify the paint over the aluminum?

The flash hider looked like when you spray a black spray can over something from a distance, not solid colour but a mist of overspray.

The spacer was 2 parts, an approx 8mm piece with an approx 2mm piece (hard to see, about same thickness as the thorens) sat flush ontop of eachother. Completely straight edges. This assembly under the bracket looked about 1mm wider than the thorens on each side, so maybe 2ish mm wider in total diameter than the thorens.

Can't recall what the yellowy brown stain is, looks just as it is. The grey was new to me though.

The flash hider looked like when you spray a black spray can over something from a distance, not solid colour but a mist of overspray.

The spacer was 2 parts, an approx 8mm piece with an approx 2mm piece (hard to see, about same thickness as the thorens) sat flush ontop of eachother. Completely straight edges. This assembly under the bracket looked about 1mm wider than the thorens on each side, so maybe 2ish mm wider in total diameter than the thorens.

Can't recall what the yellowy brown stain is, looks just as it is. The grey was new to me though.

cool! Just to be sure, was there silver spray paint over the aluminum? It seems so dull but still silver :)

There was no silver and no bead blasting, it was just black overspray. From afar or in a blurry photo it makes it look grey, up close you can see the spray. It is like pixels on a screen. It was nearly 100% covered in a fine mist of this stuff, so it looks grey quite convincingly.

Here is the pencil they gave me, after telling me not to use my own.

28474970242_da12a97892_c.jpg

Get ready to have your minds blown by a blurry picture that has been through MS paint.

This is an awful pic to work from, but I remember what I saw strongly (seen it twice now) and if you know what to look for, it is in this image. There is some perspective here but I don't believe it effects the detail much.

28315554300_4997e9abca_h.jpg

Inbetween the yellow and orange line, going around the whole flash hider (like a spun item) there is a feint tool impression also.

The yellow section was pretty close to about 1.5mm - 2.5mm. Hard to tell by eye though.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying. Thanks again for all your help, sorry you got into trouble!

Neat free pen, though! I guess?

I see what you're saying. Thanks again for all your help, sorry you got into trouble!

Neat free pen, though! I guess?

I didn't think you could get any cheaper than those tiny disposable wooden pencils. Now, somebody has designed an even cheaper and more disposable option :lol. It has about 5mm of graphite. I wonder why normal stationary isn't allowed in an exhibition. I didn't ask because I was trying to fly under the radar (this was before the picture attempt)

I SEE IT - your colored profile on the left and the pic on the left did it for me. Wow, I could have lathed a nicer transition and I don't have a lathe lol

This is all pretty cool but I don't know if I would implement this change because it doesn't seem to be a consistent detail.

I personally don't know how I would replicate this detail.

Ha! Yeah, quite a few of us thought that was the case!

BobaDebt, what detail are you referring to? The angles of the transition of the flash hider?

That particular detail may need to be cut manually, but I don't see any reason it should be difficult, once the proper look is achieved...

I have some questions about thoren discs. What does the real part look like? What are the replicas based on? I have seen some replica discs that look too thin. I also didn't notice an indentation in the one I saw on the exhibition blaster. I was looking hard at the grey goop in the middle (smaller than the indentation diameter I see on pics online) but don't remember there being an indentation. Maybe it has been filled in completely by the grey/orange stain substance or maybe I missed it completely.

I'm not so familiar with the part,

Have a look at the best pic out of this exhibition, the thickness too.

28434118786_ffa59fd590_b.jpg

Looking at BobaDebt's thorens disc replica, it does look a tiny bit too thin, when comparing it to this photo.

Also, I've just noticed that the front hole for the scope on the bracket is drilled in the wrong spot on BobaDebt's bracket. Needs to be a bit closer to the Mauser, so the scope angles slightly inward. That's an easy fix, though.

I've gotta say, for the photos we had to work with when David made his blueprints and set up this run of parts, he did one hell of a job!

Also, the forward bolt head on the scope looks the same size as the rear, on this particular blaster...

Last edited:
Looking at BobaDebt's thorens disc replica, it does look a tiny bit too thin, when comparing it to this photo.

Also, I've just noticed that the front hole for the scope on the bracket is drilled in the wrong spot on BobaDebt's bracket. Needs to be a bit closer to the Mauser, so the scope angles slightly inward. That's an easy fix, though.

I've gotta say, for the photos we had to work with when David made his blueprints and set up this run of parts, he did one hell of a job!

Also, the forward bolt head on the scope looks the same size as the rear, on this particular blaster...

Yeah, the front bolt wasn't fully screwed in. It was slightly bent looking too, almost like it was jammed in the wrong thread hole. The different bolt head sizes were for Luke's bespin blaster IIRC. You could clearly see it in a pic.

I think some thorens pics I've seen show the real ones as being a bit thinner than what is seen here. The disc here also sits tight to the bracket, I didn't think a real thoren's disc could do that. Basically is there any chance at all it might not be a thoren's disc?

I have some questions about thoren discs. What does the real part look like? What are the replicas based on? I have seen some replica discs that look too thin. I also didn't notice an indentation in the one I saw on the exhibition blaster. I was looking hard at the grey goop in the middle (smaller than the indentation diameter I see on pics online) but don't remember there being an indentation. Maybe it has been filled in completely by the grey/orange stain substance or maybe I missed it completely.

I'm not so familiar with the part,

Have a look at the best pic out of this exhibition, the thickness too.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8759/28434118786_ffa59fd590_b.jpg

IMG_20150829_152103_zps45sgi3zo.png

IMG_20150829_151134_zpsro4cx8ov.png

If you're talking about the flash hider, I totally agree!

One thing that may make the Thorens disc appear thicker, is the raised middle section would be making contact with the scope bracket, I feel like I'm seeing a shadow there, in between the disc and the bracket, in the photo of the real prop.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back