DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

If you're talking about the flash hider, I totally agree!

One thing that may make the Thorens disc appear thicker, is the raised middle section would be making contact with the scope bracket, I feel like I'm seeing a shadow there, in between the disc and the bracket, in the photo of the real prop.

Yeah, maybe. My instinct is only based on the fact I didn't notice such a gap when comparing the thorens to the spacer below. Coulda missed it.

Exactly right, sir! That's quite apparent with these new photos!

Might be a bit of cross threading going on here.

If you're talking about the flash hider, I totally agree!

One thing that may make the Thorens disc appear thicker, is the raised middle section would be making contact with the scope bracket, I feel like I'm seeing a shadow there, in between the disc and the bracket, in the photo of the real prop.

I think i see the shadow, too. But nonetheless the edge is way thicker than on a real Thorens disc.

Maybe it´s a made piece based on the look of the real. But the more i see about the displayed gun, the more i´m not sure i is the same as used for filming, at least not in a condition i believe anymore. If the same, then altered - what makes everything invalid what is not backed up by screenshots.

I think i see the shadow, too. But nonetheless the edge is way thicker than on a real Thorens disc.

Maybe it´s a made piece based on the look of the real. But the more i see about the displayed gun, the more i´m not sure i is the same as used for filming, at least not in a condition i believe anymore. If the same, then altered - what makes everything invalid what is not backed up by screenshots.

Do any weathering/paint patches match screenshots for that part? Or is the only pic of that side the magazine shoot with the grips already painted black?

Eh, perhaps not all Thorens discs were precisely machined. Maybe this one's a little thicker.

I'm pretty convinced this is the same prop from the probe droid scene. The grips are black, now, sure. I really don't think it's a completely different prop, but who knows. It could've been modified since filming.

Eh, perhaps not all Thorens discs were precisely machined. Maybe this one's a little thicker.

They are not machined, they are just stamped sheet metal (steel). The one on the exebition pic looks machined from Alu

I'm pretty convinced this is the same prop from the probe droid scene. The grips are black, now, sure. I really don't think it's a completely different prop, but who knows. It could've been modified since filming.

Aye, i agree it´s probably the same base gun. But it´s definately modified (black grips are there due to someone working on it), the question is how much it´s altered.

When I said machined I didn't mean necessarily that they were cut on a lathe.

Being stamped pieces, I'd say the tolerances weren't quite as critical.

Certainly would be interesting to see the scope side of the blaster from the time of filming. Anyone know when that original photo of that side was taken?

What reference made people conclude it was a Thoren's disc to begin with? Was it the side on black grip view from the magazine article circa 2007? If so, that is the same gun as is on display, with the same features. Meaning the Thoren's disc could have been identified from this potentially non thoren's disc circle. It becomes a loop

Now I'm confused. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that photo led us to the Thorens disc discovery.

Are you saying that you don't believe that is a Thorens disc on there? The prop folks used so many parts from these fancy turntables, it only makes sense.

In my opinion, this is the exact same prop that was used for the probe droid scene, and I see no reason that the prop folks would've changed it. The black painted grips do raise a question, but I think the overall construction is the same.

Now I'm confused. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that photo led us to the Thorens disc discovery.

Are you saying that you don't believe that is a Thorens disc on there? The prop folks used so many parts from these fancy turntables, it only makes sense.

In my opinion, this is the exact same prop that was used for the probe droid scene, and I see no reason that the prop folks would've changed it. The black painted grips do raise a question, but I think the overall construction is the same.

I don't fully know the part (thorens disc) that well, but from the real examples I see, there is perhaps a minor difference. Thickness of whatever on the gun looks potentially greater, and I don't remember the stamped shape being there whatsoever. The brown/grey goop could have filled the middle, but I don't remember it sitting up off the bracket at all. But I'm not 100% sure as I am not there now as I think this.

When I was there in person I trusted the part was ID'd so didn't scrutinise it that hard, just noted it looked thicker than I thought.

If people care enough (I know this DL-44 isn't exactly the ANH hero haha) I can go back and verify, but I'm sick of this exhibition now so I'm in no rush to return. Probably would be in a month or so.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of mine, with BobaDebt's Thorens disc replica. It's sitting sightly off the bracket, and creates a shadow.
9ccfd300516b00bc6d386bd88ca3cbab.jpg

Although in some light, it looks different...
da2c9dffc925f17e9b1735d1cb979cfb.jpg

Even with the shadow there, it still appears that the replica Thorens disc is a hair too thin, when I compare it with the photo of the real prop.
4045b78e7d380ec8af0de4f2bf639a97.jpg

Last edited:
lol both my real thorens discs are half that thickness. In that angled shot of the blaster (I'm looking at the lower edge, facing us/the right) it looks like this is pretty thick or its held off the bracket by washers but I really am questioning wether this really is a thorens disc.

- - - Updated - - -

it looks comparable to the thickness of the bracket, maybe a bit less

It's hard to tell if there's any seam there, that would indicate two of them stacked, but I reckon it's possible. Though, why use two?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back