DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

One looks like a tripod mount. Looks like you can see threads inside the hole. No idea what the other is.

I appreciate you going back in there to bring us this info, but I just can't take it as gospel without some sort of photographic evidence.

Look at the press pic from a few weeks back. It is there to see. The thorens was only identified from a 2007 photo from a magazine article. The blaster looks unchanged from then to now. There is no reason for it to be a thorens or thorens related specifically.

I know it is a paradigm shift but it is hardly earth shattering in the scheme of things.

The tripod mount thing looks similar, if you imagine the middle hole not there but a bit of grey putty roughly smoothed over. Just for the record, there may not be a hole in it. Its just a guess that the grey goop is a filler job. It might be glue residue or a weird sort of paint.

I'm totally open to the idea that it could be another part. There are plenty of camera parts with three holes arranged in that way.

Here is the image we used to compare the Disk to the prop

Hoth%20013a_zpsi5kau14m.jpg

In this image I superimposed the 1:1 scale disk outline over a 1:1 scale version of the blaster, then I reduced it to fit the post

ESBScopeBracketHoth008_zpsacc6ffa9.jpg

I just find it hard to believe that there are 2 items that are this similar.

When you also consider that other parts of the turntable have been used for props it just makes more sense that this is a Thorens Disk and not some other random item that looks identical to a Thornens Disk.

It may be possible that the prop department made a hero prop with a real disk and then stunt props with thicker replicated disks

Original Image from the archives

Hoth%20013_zpscrr85qko.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the image we used to compare the Disk to the prop

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Star Wars/ESBBB/Hoth 013a_zpsi5kau14m.jpg

In this image I superimposed the 1:1 scale disk outline over a 1:1 scale version of the blaster, then I reduced it to fit the post

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/.../ESBBB/ESBScopeBracketHoth008_zpsacc6ffa9.jpg

I just find it hard to believe that there are 2 items that are this similar.

When you also consider that other parts of the turntable have been used for props it just makes more sense that this is a Thorens Disk and not some other random item that looks identical to a Thornens Disk.

It may be possible that the prop department made a hero prop with a real disk and then stunt props with thicker replicated disks

Original Image from the archives

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Star Wars/ESBBB/Hoth 013_zpscrr85qko.jpg

The gun on display is the same as in that picture. Weathering matches up, no alterations. Not a thorens disc. There is no mistake. The inner circle in that diagram wasnt even there, there was no inner dent. Its just a circle with 3 screw holes. I don't want to debate it anymore, I've seen it in the flesh, my last visit was specifically for checking this point.

I'm not building this gun, and wasn't interested before so I'm gonna back off. Hopefully this exhibition goes to the US.

I've very recently seen very up close photos of this prop from the archives in a private collection. There's no indention, and it's one piece part.. so not a thorens on a spacer or anything. Believe me, I wanted it to be.

How are we "confirming" that it's not a Thorens disk?

Because if it's not It would be extremely coincidental that there are 2 items that have almost identical dimensions.

The lip width, bolt spacing indentation in the center, it all seems to line up with Thorens disk.

I've very recently seen very up close photos of this prop from the archives in a private collection. There's no indention, and it's one piece part.. so not a thorens on a spacer or anything. Believe me, I wanted it to be.

Am I imagining things or is the disk thin in the areas indicated by the white dots. The bottom area between the dots looks thicker as if it is on top of something.

Hoth%20015a_zpszyw4to02.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at all of my pictures and I noticed that in the picture of the original Thorens Parts the disk looks really thick -

ThorensTD124_zps3ed1505a.jpg

Now I am starting to think that the replacement disk was not exactly like the original.

It's a bearing cap so if they made the replacement part from thin stamped metal all they would have to do is provided shorter bolts to make it work

Originally we thought the thin disk was installed with the depression touching the blaster and the rim was elevated up off of the bracket but now I am thinking it could have been a thick original disk installed just like the original disk it the above picture.

Bummer. As the dude who found the Thorens disk, I feel like I lost my claim to fame. I'm down with coming up with something else if it's a better fit. I still can't quite shake how perfect the diameter of the Thorens disc is to the real thing.

The Disk in the lower part of the image Boba just posted, seems to me to be the correct thickness to match the "Original". I do think I see a dropped shadow which makes it look thicker. I will be putting a 0.5mm washer under the disc to replicate that raised effect, as I am going for a heavily weathered but idealized version.

I think to go for "screen" accuracy you could find a washer of the correct thickness with an appropriate sized hole. Drill 3 screw holes and fill the center hole with "roughly smoothed" bondo to replicate what Mortifactor saw. ??maybe ?

Just my opinion.

E

I was looking at all of my pictures and I noticed that in the picture of the original Thorens Parts the disk looks really thick -

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Star Wars/ESBBB/ThorensTD124_zps3ed1505a.jpg

Now I am starting to think that the replacement disk was not exactly like the original.

It's a bearing cap so if they made the replacement part from thin stamped metal all they would have to do is provided shorter bolts to make it work

Originally we thought the thin disk was installed with the depression touching the blaster and the rim was elevated up off of the bracket but now I am thinking it could have been a thick original disk installed just like the original disk it the above picture.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Star Wars/ESBBB/ThorensTD124_zps3ed1505a.jpg

It could be that the thicker disk was used and installed with the raised area face down to the bracket.

I'm bummed out, this feels like a step backward if this part goes back to the unknown group. And I just bought a vintage one. :unsure

Also on a different note, Master Replicas, who probably had really good reference material, also chose to put one distributor ring on Luke's ESB blaster. Though they also put the motor could plate on, and that's not in our photos

I helped on these blasters, and can say that MR didn't have access to any of the reference material that has come to light in the past 8 years, unfortunately.

Hmm, I'm guessing the things on the sides of the pistons are still unknown too, since he said it doesn't line up.

before I take my blaster apart (I've already screwed/puttied/drilled and glued my mount into place) I want to say I agree the Thorens plate is too thin compared to that photo.

This is being said, I have standoffs from a hardware store under my bracket among other things

Big THANKS!!! to mortifactor for all the time and effort he's done in bringing this to our attention.

What I see in these publicity photos is a large, black cylinder on the side of the scope mount.
That this part is missing from the blaster today points to a weak glue used to hold it on.

I also see that the spacer between the scope mount and the pistol is large, which leads me to conclude that the blaster on display in Japan is unaltered.
Except for the grip, which may have been damaged when the black cylinder on the scope was knocked off.
Maybe replaced w/ a grip from one of the ROTJ holster stuffers?

Could the not-Thornes disk have been from another turntable that had similar dimensions, or did they manufacture a disk of similar dimensions so the screws they used didn't have to be cut down? Just a thought, since they had a piece of aluminum cylinder chucked up in the lathe.

blaster DL-44 ESB MGC 28a.pngblaster DL-44 ESB MGC 29a.png

Last edited:
The Disk in the lower part of the image Boba just posted, seems to me to be the correct thickness to match the "Original". I do think I see a dropped shadow which makes it look thicker. I will be putting a 0.5mm washer under the disc to replicate that raised effect, as I am going for a heavily weathered but idealized version.

E

I think you are the only person to mention that the disk in this picture is the right thickness for the prop.

ThorensTD124_zps3ed1505a.jpg

The drop shadow could be that it was installed with the depression against the blaster, spacing it off a little bit.

I thick the depression could have been filled with goop from when they had the other greeblie MGoob posted about in post number 696

..........Could the not-Thornes disk have been from another turntable that had similar dimensions, or did they manufacture a disk of similar dimensions so the screws they used didn't have to be cut down? Just a thought, since they had a piece of aluminum cylinder chucked up in the lathe.

Considering that there have been other parts from the Thorens turntable used for other props it is more likely that this came from the same item.

It is a way easier to cut a couple screws then to machine a part on a lathe and then mill the 3 perfectly spaced holes in the rim on an indexing head mounted in a milling machine.

The gun on display is the same as in that picture. Weathering matches up, no alterations. Not a thorens disc. There is no mistake. The inner circle in that diagram wasnt even there, there was no inner dent. Its just a circle with 3 screw holes. I don't want to debate it anymore, I've seen it in the flesh, my last visit was specifically for checking this point.

I'm not building this gun, and wasn't interested before so I'm gonna back off. Hopefully this exhibition goes to the US.

That's that as far as I am concerned. Why did they do 3 holes like the Thoren's disc? Who knows . . .

Boba I would be in for a flat disc of the proper size if you want to do one.

That's that as far as I am concerned. Why did they do 3 holes like the Thoren's disc? Who knows . . .

Boba I would be in for a flat disc of the proper size if you want to do one.

My bet on the three hole disk is to keep the scope mount bracket from spinning, which can be a problem on the Bespin Blasters because they have a single hole.

Are the other parts that were taken from Thorens turntables definitely from a TD 124? It could be out of a different model.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back