DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Why..is there a reason they're there? Obviously the piston halves are held on with screws at their center...guide holes?

you're welcome internet for the upres'd pic and noticing the letters. :) Kudo's to guabe who went the step further to point out what I was thinking that it is in fact the M/C greeblie letters.

I'm pretty convinced anyway.

As for the Pistons, Phillips heads in the middle... and painted over rivets on the side possibly???

Page 1 pretty much has all my high res photos on it.

Yeah, folks have used different parts over the years to replicate whatever is on either side of the piston halves. I used some small pan head hex screws on mine, but I don't think that's what they are. They look like little round plastic parts of some sort. Maybe another tiny part from the V8 kit?

Did some work on my old Denix Hoth gun today. I realize the full M/C part is backwards on mine, that's just the way I put it on years ago.

Today I just swapped out the old detail parts I had and replaced with the cut-up M/C parts. Already had some 6-32 holes there, but swapped out hex screws for some little Philips ones I found.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420766312387.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420766312387.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 355
Was just thinking, could the screws in the MC parts be the same ones either side of the piston halves?

So, I'm in the process of making a scope mount for a bespin version, and the measurements posted don't add up. I've got the correct mounting hole location, and my scope is at the right height (let's call it to within 1/32" either up or down the gun) and the 1.75" tall scope mount does not come low enough on the gun. It's really off by about .25". Even if the measurements posted are really to the inside edges rather than the outside, it still isn't enough length since the scope mount is ~3/16" material.

I'll be happy to post some pictures in a bit when I'm done. To my eye, the actual height of the scope mount needs to be 2", maybe a hair longer. And I cut one side of a piece of angle stock to 1.125" and it's way short. Again, I'll post some pics in a couple of hours when I get the mount cut the way I believe it should be. I have enough aluminum to make 2 mounts that are longer than 1.75" on one side and 1 that is 1.75" on the long side (the second piece of that stock has the other edge of 1.125", which is too short).

Okay, some assumptions.. and no facts.

The piston halves are cast copies right? I am assuming so and they they were cast in some white/light material due to the weathering. I am assuming the light color is paint wear because I can't really think of other instances when they faux weathered metal on a plastic part.

Ok, so if those assumptions are correc (at least the casting aspect)t, what do you think about the possibility that the detailing on the sides of the piston were something from the casting. Maybe they were an attempt to make some sort of mounts but decide to just use the large screws.

The reason I toss that thought out there is because the detailing of those side elements look very soft, even if you consider coats of paint. I also don't understand why you would put screws there. I look at that picture and i assume... screws. But as I stare at it, I just can't see it. They look more like little loops than screws.

I suppose that's possible, but I always thought the weathering was the bare plastic of the model kit part showing through the worn paint. My real piston halves are a light gray color, I don't know if the older V-8 kit parts were that same color, but in the Hoth photo it looks like that could be gray on the pistons.

And I'm not sure those are screws, either. The detail IS very soft. I only put the Phillips screws in the cut M/C parts because I already had threaded holes in the Mauser there. It could just be glue that seeped up through the holes. I almost thought the round parts on either side of the pistons could be little bits from the sprue tree from the V-8 kit, it just seems a little silly that they'd go to that much trouble to add such tiny detail. Stranger things have happened, I reckon.

Last edited:
Sorry, I am not familiar with the real model parts. I was also going on the assumption that the parts were originally black. I guess I had the tomtit parts on my mind. :unsure

So, I'm in the process of making a scope mount for a bespin version, and the measurements posted don't add up. I've got the correct mounting hole location, and my scope is at the right height (let's call it to within 1/32" either up or down the gun) and the 1.75" tall scope mount does not come low enough on the gun. It's really off by about .25". Even if the measurements posted are really to the inside edges rather than the outside, it still isn't enough length since the scope mount is ~3/16" material.

I'll be happy to post some pictures in a bit when I'm done. To my eye, the actual height of the scope mount needs to be 2", maybe a hair longer. And I cut one side of a piece of angle stock to 1.125" and it's way short. Again, I'll post some pics in a couple of hours when I get the mount cut the way I believe it should be. I have enough aluminum to make 2 mounts that are longer than 1.75" on one side and 1 that is 1.75" on the long side (the second piece of that stock has the other edge of 1.125", which is too short).

Remember though, the measurements for the accurate parts SHOULD be based on a REAL Mauser... which is smaller than a Denix and MGC... so on a real Mauser it SHOULD be correct. I;ll do measurements tonight on my real Mausers.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I am not familiar with the real model parts. I was also going on the assumption that the parts were originally black. I guess I had the tomtit parts on my mind. :unsure

The real V8 parts are silver/grey plastic.

it may be smaller, but I'd really find it hard to believe that it would be 1/4" "shorter" from top to bottom than a denix or MGC.

2" tall on the dot for the scope mount. Lines up exactly with the corner of the lip on the edge of the gun just like it does in the picture. It's hard to replicate a shot like that because you really need to take a long distance shot at exactly the same angle and zoom in. I did my best to show it though.

Looks like I'm a few degrees out of rotation too (which is about all of the adjustment I can make). See below. I found this is far superior to trying to friction fit it with the knurled knob.

Your new one looks too long above the knob... sitting too high near the upper receiver.

Check out the size difference:

REal MGC and Denix

L20140129-155505.JPG

L20140129-160014.JPG

L20140129-160027.JPG

L20140129-160038.JPG

L20140129-160100.JPG

L20140129-160116.JPG

L20140129-160132.JPG

L20140129-160137.JPG

L20140129-160240.JPG

L20140129-160319.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back