Breaking Bad trip to ABQ Feb 19-22 - Free Giveaways!

Re: Breaking Bad trip to ABQ in mid Feb 2015

With that in mind, I think we are going to drive out Thursday, Feb 19th, try to hit the sites Friday and head back home on Sat. How does that sound?

Hey Art,

To be honest, one day should be max for the major locations. The sites are pretty lose to each other, relatively, due to it being a small city.

We can start by determining what you want to see. Below is a preliminary list. Please add anything I missed. I can then map it out and let you know.

-Walter's house

-Jesse's House

-The Dog House restaurant (where Jesse goes to get gun)

-The "Crystal Palace"

-Location where Combo dies. (Pretty much anybody is likely to die in this area of town.)

-Hank's House

-Super Lab

-Los Pollos Hermanos

-Tuco's "office" location

-Jesse and Jane's duplex.

-Nazi Complex

-Walt's gravestone

Here is a website to help you. Just peruse it and let me know. If you wanted to see every location on that website, then yes, we may need more than a day. ;)

http://www.breakingbad-locations.com/locations/

Howdy, I live in Albuquerque, my Daughter was Baby Holly for most of the Ozimandias episode (I know right?). Also, I know all of the graphic designers from the show and I have had many fun discussions with Mark Hanson (prop master) about how crazy it is that the props and art from the show have become so popular and collectable.

i work in the industry so hit me up when you get here and I can let you know how to check out any current sets around town (maybe Better Call Saul even).

Hey "Very Exciting"...do you work or know the folks at Q Studios?

On my last trip to Abq we got a tour of the studios (Jessa showed us around) and we saw where they filmed the interiors of BB and also saw the Night Shift sets. It was pretty cool. I worked in the industry in NM back in the 80's in 90's...probably before your time. :)

- - - Updated - - -

With that in mind, I think we are going to drive out Thursday, Feb 19th, try to hit the sites Friday and head back home on Sat. How does that sound?

That sounds good, Art. The driving does not sound fun, however. ;)

I just found out that Uncle Jack's "NazI" compound was raised back in July. :(
(Word is that condos will be placed there...but that seems weird since the area in Los Ranchos it is located is not very nice from what I recall. It was an old saw mill prior...which probably should have been torn down years ago!)

So...that location is out. Kind of a bummer. The time I was last there was after they filmed and you could see "Jesse's Pit" (which most was done in the studio but it was based on the pit that was on location.)

Jessie Pit...
uncle jack 1.jpg

Lab...
uncle jack 2.jpg

Google image...
uncle jack 3.jpg

OK, so now that we have looked at things, we are driving out Wednesday night, planning to hit some of the far out places on Thurs and the close in places on Friday, chill Sat (I don't roll on shabbos ;)) and then drive home Sunday.

I work as a Travel Coordinator pretty often and I really like the Sheraton. It's central to pretty much everything in town and by good places to eat. It's pretty close to the White House if I remember correctly from taking Elanor there. The staff is good and it houses a ton of film workers, we had it full of stunt people on The Lone Ranger and everyone from Night Shift stayed there for the pilot. I'm personally and professionally not a big fan of the airport hotels. They never need business and they never give us a break in rate when booking.

What VeryExciting said. The hotel is centrally located and close to all the sites in the NE heights area of Abq.

In fact, the street the hotel is on (Menaul) is where the car wash is. You just have to head east a bit.

A lot of shopping in the area as well. Down Louisiana street is a great outdoor mall.

- - - Updated - - -

I work as a Travel Coordinator pretty often and I really like the Sheraton. It's central to pretty much everything in town and by good places to eat. It's pretty close to the White House if I remember correctly from taking Elanor there. The staff is good and it houses a ton of film workers, we had it full of stunt people on The Lone Ranger and everyone from Night Shift stayed there for the pilot. I'm personally and professionally not a big fan of the airport hotels. They never need business and they never give us a break in rate when booking.

Travel Coordinator, VeryExciting? Do you happen to know Cory Bol? She worked on Lone Ranger. Or is this Cory? LOL!

OK, so now that we have looked at things, we are driving out Wednesday night, planning to hit some of the far out places on Thurs and the close in places on Friday, chill Sat (I don't roll on shabbos ;)) and then drive home Sunday.

Tha's a good idea on leaving Thursday. Then on your way in....west of ABQ and near Grants NM is the To’hajiilee Reservation.
There are a lot of cow houses there. You know...houses...for cows.

TheDude this is Brian Wenrich, Cory trained me in Travel and I have been her assistant on Due Date, Cowboys and Aliens, and The Lone Ranger. The assistant travel coordinator does pretty much what the Travel coordinator does but gets paid like a PA. Cory is my mentor for sure, it would be funny for Her to be on a replica props forum, she is rarely interested in this sort of thing.

who is The Dude?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey "Very Exciting"...do you work or know the folks at Q Studios?

On my last trip to Abq we got a tour of the studios (Jessa showed us around) and we saw where they filmed the interiors of BB and also saw the Night Shift sets. It was pretty cool. I worked in the industry in NM back in the 80's in 90's...probably before your time. :)

Sorry I missed this. I have worked at Albuquerque Studios, last time was the Night Shift pilot. Jessa is pretty great.

@thedude this is Brian Wenrich, Cory trained me in Travel and I have been her assistant on Due Date, Cowboys and Aliens, and The Lone Ranger. The assistant travel coordinator does pretty much what the Travel coordinator does but gets paid like a PA. Cory is my mentor for sure, it would be funny for Her to be on a replica props forum, she is rarely interested in this sort of thing.

who is The Dude?

Hey Brian..

Yeah...I figured you were not Cory. Like you said, not her sort of thing. She and I grew up together during high school. (We are actually FB friends but both of us are not big FB people.)

My name is Chad Chavez. I was involved in the NM film community back in the late 80's through the mid 90's. Back during Earth 2, Silveraldo, etc. (In fact I went with a team from the film community to pitch the "Earth 2 Bill" to bring film incentive discounts to NM. It did not pass then.) Did camera work (AC) then worked for a company called Duke City Studio which is now gone. First real studio in Abq back in the day. I decided I wanted more money so I went into television broadcasting and then moved to Dallas and I am now in Corporate entertainment. Tell Cory I said hi!

Gang, I just can't tell you how excited I am to do this trip! We definitely will also have some fun surprises in store! The Dude- we have GOT to go to the first cook location for sure!! I'll be taking a look at the map this week. Have been listening to the pod casts and am gonna break out the blu rays this week while Art is traveling and have me a BB love fest all week!! I gotta tell you, I've not been this crazy over a TV show ever and haven't been this crazy over anything since The Matrix!! Art had asked me if I wanted to do a snow board trip or if I wanted to hit the ABQ and do a Breaking Bad tour. My eyes just lit up and a big smile came across my face. I love snowboarding but I love Breaking Bad more!!! I mean, who else would make 3 Breaking Bad outfits for their pug for Halloween???

Last edited:

We are officially booked at the Sheraton Uptown coming in on Wed night and leaving Sunday morning! WOOT!! Bring on the crystal blue!!!

When you get to the last season you'll see my daughter Elanor in the episodes to'hajali (2 seconds at the car wash)

1380035_625252214193086_1041926492_n.jpg

and Ozymandias (famously in all but one scene).

1381260_625252244193083_217374771_n.jpg

That one scene being the Firetruck, (i'll tell you all the story if you seem the slightest bit interested).

My favorite result of Elanor being in Breaking Bad is this...

1392099_625253460859628_1017449262_n.jpg

That is super cool!!!!

When you get to the last season you'll see my daughter Elanor in the episodes to'hajali (2 seconds at the car wash)

View attachment 424839

and Ozymandias (famously in all but one scene).

View attachment 424840

That one scene being the Firetruck, (i'll tell you all the story if you seem the slightest bit interested).

My favorite result of Elanor being in Breaking Bad is this...

View attachment 424841

The earliest I can be in ABQ is Friday AM (if I drive out Thursday afternoon/evening and spend the night there, as I can't miss more than one day of work that time of year).
Any chance of working up and posting an itinerary of what sites will be visited on each day? If all the primary/popular in-town sites will be visited Friday, it would probably still be worth it for me and my friend to drive in and hook up with the group for Friday touring and head home Saturday afternoon.

Oh that is awesome VeryExciting!

Corylex- I'm trying to work on an itinerary of places that I want to go for sure and then a list of secondary places. I think some of it will be dictated by what things are close together. I honestly have no idea what we will see on Thursday and what we will see on Friday but honestly, I think it would be worth it to come for a day and you could always head off on your own to hit places we may have already gone to. We'd love to have you come along!

Cool. Yeah, when I was in ABQ last, we saw... the car wash, Walt 's house, Jesse' s apartment, Pollos, Saul's office, Jesse 's aunt's house, the Crossroads motel, and a couple other places in town in about 3 hours...and we ate at Pollos (Twisters). :)
I'd love to come again and do it as a group, though. I think knowing what we will do as a group on Friday will help us decide if we should come out. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back