Project: Revell AT-AT Walker

All Primed.

012 revell 01.jpg
Side Guards, Butt Shields and The Side Doors.

012 revell 02.jpg012 revell 03.jpg
The Chassis

012 revell 04.jpg012 revell 05.jpg
The Main Body

012 revell 06.jpg
The Belly.

Next, I'll be tackling the Head.

Hello Everyone. It's been a while since my last update. I've been quite busy working on the AT-AT, so let's get started.

THE HEAD Part I

I based my templates of the Head from Baloo blueprints.

013 revell 01.JPG013 revell 02.JPG
I broke the Head into parts and built it up from there.

013 revell 03.JPG
I penciled in where the greeblies and moldings would go.

013 revell 04.JPG
I added moldings as I went along.

013 revell 05.JPG013 revell 06.JPG
I epoxied in threaded mounting posts for the Cheek Guns.

013 revell 07.JPG013 revell 08.JPG013 revell 09.JPG
Filed them down flush.

013 revell 10.JPG013 revell 11.JPG013 revell 12.JPG
The Head is starting to take shape.

013 revell 13.JPG
I created the center block and the side guards from scratch using styrene.

More to come........

THE HEAD Part II

Installing the interior lighting.

I'm using a single red LED, a micro switch and a lithium cell CR2025 battery to light the interior.

013 revell 14.jpg013 revell 15.JPG
The LED is from a dollar store toy and the I've decided to mount the battery in a compartment on the top of the head.

013 revell 16.jpg
I've also installed a switch within the center block and drilled a small hole for the on/off button.

013 revell 17.jpg013 revell 18.jpg013 revell 19.JPG
More moldings and greeblies were added to the underneath.

013 revell 20.JPG013 revell 21.JPG
I primed the Head to weed out any imperfections or blemishes on the surfaces.

013 revell 22.JPG013 revell 23.JPG
A Back Plate was made and primed. It'll be added to the Head Chassis once that is done.

Stay Tuned for more......

THE HEAD CHASSIS

I've decided to use a chassis to help link the Neck Joints to the Main Body and to help support the Head.

014 revell 01.JPG
I drew up a template which I basically made by trail and error.

014 revell 02.JPG014 revell 03.JPG
I cut out the parts from 1mm aluminum and epoxied them together, instead of using brackets as I originally intended.

014 revell 04.JPG014 revell 05.JPG
I mounted the first Neck Joint to the Chassis. Also, I added a Pin to the front for extra support.

014 revell 06.JPG014 revell 07.JPG
Next, I did a test fit. Looks good to me.

Want More?

Last edited:
THE COCKPIT

Originally, I didn't wanted to bother with an actual cockpit, but I thought, 'what the hay, I minus well.'

015 revell 01.jpg
Like everything else, I started with a paper template.

015 revell 02.jpg
I translated the drawings to styrene sheets.

015 revell 03.jpg
Next, I added to moldings and greeblies to the plates.

015 revell 04.JPG
I gave it a base coat using regular acrylic paint.

015 revell 05.JPG015 revell 06.JPG015 revell 07.JPG
Then, I weathered the plates and painted details to the control panels.

015 revell 08.JPG
I got the back door printed up at the photo lab.

015 revell 09.JPG
If I'm making an interior, I have to have a command crew. I sculpted them out of Sculpey.

015 revell 10.JPG015 revell 11.JPG
Got them all in their places. I didn't care too much about getting them in the correct position and distance from the front window.

015 revell 12.JPG015 revell 13.JPG
After a bit of adjusting, I got Cockpit mounted to the Head Chassis.

015 revell 14.JPG
The Head and the Chassis/Cockpit.

Next, will be the Chin Cannons and the Cheek Guns.

THE CHIN CANNONS

I had to be resourceful in making these, as well as the Chin Guns. So bear with me.

016 revell 01.JPG016 revell 02.jpg
I started by lamenting layers of styrene to form blocks for the upper and lower cannons.

016 revell 03.jpg016 revell 04.JPG
I used car model parts for the back ends of the cannons. I basically added styrene bits to get the details I wanted.

016 revell 05.JPG
The main barrels were made from cheap plastic paint brushes. I made the muzzle from several different parts.

016 revell 06.JPG
For the recoiling rail system, I used two small 'C' shaped brass strips with two brass plates with different widths glued on top of each other.

016 revell 07.JPG016 revell 08.JPG
With a bit of fussing, I got them glued in without any major issues.

016 revell 09.JPG
I then, made up these two tracks for the cannons and glued them to the bottom of the Head.

016 revell 10.JPG
I masked off the rails and primed the cannons.

Whew!

Next, the Cheek Guns.

THE CHEEK GUNS

I've noticed thru my research that all three screen-used AT-AT had different Cheek Gun designs. I've decided to base my guns off the 'Notch Knee' model.

017 revell 01.JPG017 revell 02.JPG017 revell 03.JPG
From my trusty drawings, I thought I 'd use 4mm square styrene rods to sculpt the main guns and scopes. (if they are scopes)

017 revell 04.JPG017 revell 05.JPG
After scraping, carving and cutting, I got my basic shapes. I then added bits of plastic and styrene. For the barrels, I used 1mm aluminum tubing. Thin stuff. I had to insert pins in the holes to give them support. It worked out pretty good.

017 revell 06.JPG017 revell 07.JPG
Following my drawings and reference photos, I just kept on adding bits.

017 revell 08.JPG017 revell 09.JPG
I inserted brass tubes for the axles.

017 revell 10.JPG017 revell 11.JPG
I fashioned the Side Guards from laminated styrene.

017 revell 12.JPG
All the parts ready for assembling and priming.

017 revell 13.JPG
All primed.

I still have to scribe the panel lines on the head, add the rest of the grebblies/small panels and add the cannons and guns. I should have that done soon, so I'll post it when I can.

I have my end mills on order, so after they arrive, I can get started on the Legs.

Nice work there !

The chin guns were exactly the same on the 3 screen used stop-mo at-at. For ROTJ they were put upside down on the one they used. What you have recreated is the big pyro chin guns.
The ATAT casting (featured in the MR set of pics) have a modded upper part.

Nice work there !

The chin guns were exactly the same on the 3 screen used stop-mo at-at. For ROTJ they were put upside down on the one they used. What you have recreated is the big pyro chin guns.
The ATAT casting (featured in the MR set of pics) have a modded upper part.

Thanks Julien.

I was referring to the cheek guns, not the chin guns. But yeah, I've also noticed one of the Star Wars exhibit AT-AT's had a bent tube for a chin gun. A quick fix perhaps.

Great job Wayne,

I was thinking about the red LED you have in there. Even though the red is cool and ominous, you should consider putting in a white LED also because a red would just wash out all the colour in there. You could wire a 3 way switch in with center for off and each side could be a different LED. Just a suggestion.

TazMan2000

Great job Wayne,

I was thinking about the red LED you have in there. Even though the red is cool and ominous, you should consider putting in a white LED also because a red would just wash out all the colour in there. You could wire a 3 way switch in with center for off and each side could be a different LED. Just a suggestion.

TazMan2000

Thanks TazMan.

I was really considering putting in a white LED, but I wanted to keep it somewhat authentic. Plus, working out the lighting system was already problematic. I didn't want anything attached to the chassis, which meant it had to be self contained within the head. And it was quite cramped in there.

But thanks for the suggestion, I think it would have been cool to have a multi-color lighting system.

Thanks Julien.

I was referring to the cheek guns, not the chin guns. But yeah, I've also noticed one of the Star Wars exhibit AT-AT's had a bent tube for a chin gun. A quick fix perhaps.

Sorry I made a typo, I was meaning the cheek guns lol

Yeah the ones with a bent tube chin guns is a repair, I dont even think the head is a screen used one, the paintjob is very different than the other. You'll notice that the cheek guns are also different and not original at all. That's why I think the head is not screen used. Actually I saw pics of the AT-AT in the Archives before they were restored by the curators (they were in pretty bad shape),
and one of them had a brand new primed head without any guns. The neck boot was also missing showing the armature. I think this is this head and they quickly built guns to get it touring.
Fortunatly enough you have not represented those ugly guns ! :D

Sorry I made a typo, I was meaning the cheek guns lol

Yeah the ones with a bent tube chin guns is a repair, I dont even think the head is a screen used one, the paintjob is very different than the other. You'll notice that the cheek guns are also different and not original at all. That's why I think the head is not screen used. Actually I saw pics of the AT-AT in the Archives before they were restored by the curators (they were in pretty bad shape),
and one of them had a brand new primed head without any guns. The neck boot was also missing showing the armature. I think this is this head and they quickly built guns to get it touring.
Fortunatly enough you have not represented those ugly guns ! :D

I know the one you're referring to. The one in front. Boy, these guys sure took a beatin' after the show.

03 Displaying of AT-AT 005.jpg

Haha yeah, that was another pic but the same guys in the same poor state :(
The AT-AT far in the back is not a screen used, it is the proto with a raw primed casting, I dont one where was the third screen used one, it is not in my other pics either :(

Haha yeah, that was another pic but the same guys in the same poor state :(
The AT-AT far in the back is not a screen used, it is the proto with a raw primed casting, I dont one where was the third screen used one, it is not in my other pics either :(

From my understanding, there are only two screen-used models on display at the exhibits, the third is in GL private collection.

Hello Everyone, it's been way too long since my last update. And I do apologize for that. Okay, let's get started.

THE NECK COLLARS

I thought I should get the Neck Collars out of the way.

018 revell 01.jpg
To make it easier, I sliced off 6mm from the base of a plastic LED candle to make each of the Collar's rings. Fortunately, the candles had the correct inside diameter to fit over the Neck Tube.

018 revell 02.jpg
For the facets, I cut out styrene pieces based off a template.

018 revell 03.jpg
I layered styrene pieces to obtain the correct thickness.

018 revell 04.jpg
I next added the raised panels and.......

018 revell 05.jpg
.......then the greeblies, which I made from scratch.

018 revell 06.jpg

And lastly, I gave them both a priming.

More to come......

THE NECK TUBE

But first, with help from TazMan2000, I successfully made a mold of a tube that could work. But I do not have a proper casting material to make the tube. So, I'm going to put it aside and hopefully someday use it when have the correct material. So, many thanks TazMan for your help. Most appreciated.

019 revell 00.JPG
I made a mold of a plastic slinky toy using regular casting plaster.

Before I start on the Neck Tube, I had to correct the Neck Joints, which were a bit too loose.

019 revell 01.jpg
I refined the Neck Joints by milling the gaps straighter and more even.

019 revell 02.jpg
I then added thin washers between the Allen Bolts/Joints to help build up the tension.

019 revell 03.jpg
Next, I permanently mounted the first and last Joints to their bases.

Now, for the NECK TUBE.

I've been struggling on how or what I can use to make the Neck Tube. After a few trials and errors, I came up with this.

019 revell 05.jpg
I found these plastic slinky toys at the dollar store. They had an outside diameter of 1-5/16", very close to what I wanted.

019 revell 06.JPG
After cutting one to the proper length, I did a test fitting with the Collars and the Head Chassis/Neck Joints.

019 revell 07.JPG
Looks good to me.

019 revell 08.JPG
After gluing on the Collars, I gave the Neck Tube a quick priming.

019 revell 09.JPG
To avoid the paint sticking, I hung it up so the ribs would spread out.

019 revell 10.JPG
All done.

019 revell 04.JPG
When I bent the neck, the tube hardly showed any gap between the ribs, so I decided to bypass a flexible wall and use a piece of grey felt instead.

BTW, the Neck does have a good turn radius even with the plastic slinky.

NEXT, off with its Head.

Last edited:
THE HEAD Part III

I finally got to the Head.

020 revell 01.jpg
I started by making the Battery Lid, which will eventually be attached via a couple of magnets.

020 revell 02.jpg 020 revell 03.jpg
I spent a good week and a half adding panels/greeblies and fine tuning the panel lines.

020 revell 04.jpg 020 revell 05.jpg 020 revell 06.jpg
After all that, I gave it a good priming.

020 revell 07.jpg
A showcase of all the Head parts.

Next I prepared the Chin Cannons for mounting.

021 revell 01.JPG
I added posts to the upper Chin Cannons so they can be mounted to the Head.

021 revell 02.JPG
Mounting holes for the Chin Cannons.

021 revell 04.JPG
Here's an inventory of what has been done so far.

Next will be the Leg Base Block and Panel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back