Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

Yeah, time for me to once again break out my trademark "Suck it haters". If that picture doesn't move your needle check your pulse, you might be dead.

I better check my pulse then...very underwhelmed with that costume. Looks like he took the clothes out of Ben's closet and threw them on, then went to the local Burlington for a cloak. I was hoping for something more original, but still with that Jedi look...something like an evolution from his ROTJ outfit.

But it's not like a costume will effect my excitement for, or enjoyment of, the film, so it is what it is.
Sorry, but I've been missing the OT vibe.

Do you want the PT part2?
Only in the sense that I want something new, as the prequels dared to be .

Last edited:
It does have the ROTJ collar and it could have the Calvary shirt flap on the front, it's hard to tell. The lower robes could open up easy, unlike the Ben robes, for use of his pants/legs.

I'm curious to see more.

Regarding Luke's costume... I have less of an issue with it being like "he raided Obi-Wan's closet" and more of a general costume quibble I've seen elsewhere over the years so I know it's not just me. I approve of Jedi dressing simply and monastically -- but not all like Obi-Wan did in ANH. If he'd been wearing his "Jedi uniform" during his couple decades hiding on Tatooine, that'd be kinda stupid. On top of that, Owen and Beru and Luke and Fixer and Camie and Deak and Windy all dress similarly. Makes far more sense that that's "Tatooine garb", for lack of a better term. But then they dressed Yoda similarly. Oh, well, his stuff looks a few sizes too large. Maybe he got some cast-offs and cut them down to get away so he could go hide on Dagobah. When ROTJ came out, I felt what Luke was wearing was probably far closer to a proper Jedi outfit -- albeit incomplete and cobbled-together. Then they showed Anakin's Force ghost in almost the same outfit as Obi-Wan. Which I didn't have a problem with, as he was also from Tatooine. Maybe Obi-Wan dressed in some of Anakin's old clothes, either because it was what was available or out of a conscious or subconscious sense of guilt.

When we got to the Prequels I was hoping to see a refined version of what Luke was wearing in ROTJ... But from Obi-Wan to Mace Windu to Qui-Gon Jinn to Kit Fisto to... You get the idea. I kinda winced when I saw all that in TPM. Apparently the Jedi dress code is "Tatooine farmer". :facepalm

So when we saw this in the second teaser for TFA...

star-wars-the-force-awakens-teaser-2-breakdown-359977.jpg

...and this behind-the-scenes shot of that scene being set up...

artoo.jpg

...I was hoping the promise of ROTJ had been realized. Now I'm curious. The inner stuff might be the same, but that's definitely a different outer cloak. I'm wondering what the timeline and circumstances are. Maybe he's back in the desert when we first see him, or he is wearing stuff scavenged from Obi-Wan's hut when he got the parts to make his new lightsaber. I like it... but hope it's not being further reinforced as the "Jedi uniform". :unsure

--Jonah

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Luke TFA_zpsxakbwzcd.jpg

Apart from the costume ... Mark Hamill looks quite concerned ... even scared for having his pictures taken in front of those many scanning camera's ... is this standard procedure nowadays having actors captured with full costume for creating those action figures . . . or is this somehow movie making related?

Chaim

If they're following ANH rules, he probably dies and becomes a Force ghost and this is how they'll go about rendering him.

Well, I can honestly this is the first thing I've seen about this movie that has me going "Meh.."

I'm okay with the way the Jedi were dressed in the prequels, as they were going for a quasi Samurai look for them. I can honestly say I had higher hopes for TFA. This just looks like he raided Obi-Wan's closet. All he is missing is a sign that says "Will blow up Death Star for Food. Anything Helps. God Bless."

-OWK

I hope that they don't go with that first helmet shown because that looks nothing more than a Medieval/Renaissance sallet, and as much as I like sallets, it's not too terribly creative or original for them to use one essentially unmodified. While they have, in the past, used existing headgear, they always took the time and trouble to modify them so that they no longer look like what they do in stock form, unlike this helmet shown in the concept art.

[url]http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Luke%20TFA_zpsxakbwzcd.jpg[/URL]

Apart from the costume ... Mark Hamill looks quite concerned ... even scared for having his pictures taken in front of those many scanning camera's ... is this standard procedure nowadays having actors captured with full costume for creating those action figures . . . or is this somehow movie making related?

Chaim

"These aren't the robes you're looking for."
Or
"Does my tum look big in this?"

Anyway he doen't look like he's been going quietly mad and rolling around the floor in some remote and dusty cave for years in those clothes, not unless he's living next door to some Gungan laundry.

What's most impressively coming to light is the degree and depth of thought that has gone into next trilogy is becoming pretty apparent now. I guess JJ and friends have had nearly three decades thinking about what happens after the end of ROTJ and come up with some interesting stuff .He is a damn clever and creative writer , ( I always rather enjoyed the twists and turns in "ALIAS") and it looks like the script reflects this. Everything I've read about it so far seems a return to a more interesting and sophisticated SW universe and I fully support that.
BUT I'll issue a mild note of warning here. Not everyone is going to like some of the changes in design asthetic particularly to space and ground craft. Personally I think some of the alterations to pre existing SW concepts look a little clumsy done or over complex .Just sticking more and bigger guns and oddly angled bits on it seem to be the rule in many cases. Some of the First Order craft particularly lack the elegant but clean beauty of the old Empire ships for me and I think the progression in the evolution of the designs looks a bit rushed.Given the speed at which this has been done I doubt they could change anything once the initial artwork had been passed and it had all gone off to the toy manufacturers but there are obvious small changes that would have made things alot better. Its mostly the craft I have a beef with, some of it works well for me others not so much. Its better than the prequels but no way as consistently strong as the OT.

Wow that suuuucks. Like the lander ship it's boring. I have hopes the rest of the designs are better, but so far I don't want to hear a peep about people thinking the Prequel designs sucked. At least they put some thought into their designs! This thing looks like something that Hasbro would put out as part of a cheap mini-vehicle assortment!

As for the Knights of Ren, based on those concepts, I wonder if that's what some of those black clad troops are in formation in that newer trailer?

How many of the Prequel craft are remembered with the same reverence and fondness as the OT?Very few really. I liked the Radient, the ROTS SDs ,the V wing and the ATOC gunships and thats it. It looks like more than a few of the TFA craft have been made out of Lego or, rather more specifically, with LEGO toy contracts in mind.
It just looks like they have just made some disappointing decisions in TFA , by either not being innovative or couragious enough to move away from traditional OT material and therefore not improving on memorable blue prints or not being subtle enough to improve on the designs with whats been changed when they have had to.
For instance the triangular beauty of the SDs are now lost under a really squarish, blocky and over extended upper hull superstructure with a very oddly extended mandible at the front that looks like an over bite. It looks rather clumsy and a bit uncool . Same with that experimental TIE it looked as if a school kid had tried to upgrade it, ie more guns all over it and cut out a window at the back. Hell they didn't even understand what and where the proper engines really went on a TIE. That FO snowspeeder looks just the same. Snowspeeder???? That doesn't look like any snowspeeder I've ever seen!! Did anybody watch the TESB.Its just such a horribly disappointing juvernile effort that will please school kids but nobody else over the age of ten.
I can understand why they went with the FO landers design because they look like somebody has deliberately grafted starship engines onto an amphibious WWII Landing assault craft. Given that the openning sequence will probably be a brilliantly thrilling but terrifyingly brutal SW version of the beach assault in "Saving Private Ryan" ,all from a stormtroopers point of view. Which is why I imagine they choose that design, as that will help illustrate just why Finns trauma is so extreme and he defects. .But they look do look like they have all the aerodynamic stability and landing capabilities of a brick, not an atmospheric dropship . It'll work well enough within the film even if the ships design doesn't thrill me,at least I can understand the choice .
But what is the point of having assault ground craft designed with open cockpits? Surely having stormtroopers so exposed to fire (and their armour was never that good at stopping a lazerblast or even Ewok arrows if memory serves ) from air attack as well as ground looks daft in the extreme. What happened to armour plated hulls, I mean its always been a bit of a historical military advantage to have protected your fire crews from the enemy with a bit of a hard shell. Open top is a nice feature for sunny day driving in a flash sports car but in a military vehicle across a battlefield? Not so much.
And most of the guns I've seen mounted on them look "toyish" rather than like actually adapted military hardware unlike the OT and I don't like them. If it were one or two things I wouldn't worry, because the Stormtroopers look great, the updated changes to the X wings make sense and they've kept the TIEs pretty unchanged. But as more of this is rolled out the less I see to admire in the SW craft arena. And thats disappointing because nearly everything I've seen up to now has been terrific.

Can someone please help me? I need some body else to help me rationalise the helmet on the Resistance Trooper before I go a little mad:

http://rebelscum.com/gallery/tfa-cards/image33.asp

I'm hoping that it's actually It's a bit more complex than it looks and is actually something like this:
RThelmet.png
I'm assuming there's more significance to the things that the extra bits with the figures combine to make but at the moment they feel like something out of a Kinder Surprise. I didn't really like the commtech chips of the first Phantom Menace figures but at least they did feel like added value...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back