What version of the Michell turntable is used to source the imperial disc's etc.

Marcus you are a star! Is there any chance you could provide a little more detail on the middle ring on the other part. Slowly making progress on my build, but have had a set back on my painting the Pinky balls (sounds odd saying that) I applied a primer and then sprayed on the black. Not sure if was the cold but the whole lot simply peeled off :(

For what it's worth, I've got all three of these greeblies modeled, and the dimensions have been matched to the dimensions given above. If anybody would like me to put up a link to download .STLs, I'll do that (they are ready for 3d printing).

Marcus you are a star! Is there any chance you could provide a little more detail on the middle ring on the other part.

Hi,

Are you talking about the middle ring on the piece I showed? All the dimensions are there in the photos. Width = 18.44mm Width of the middle ring with chamfer = 16.53 the height of the middle ring is 2.8mm. (all three rings = 7.67, bottom 2 rings = 6.29 and bottom ring = 3.49).

Do you need anything more info?

Hi,

Are you talking about the middle ring on the piece I showed? All the dimensions are there in the photos. Width = 18.44mm Width of the middle ring with chamfer = 16.53 the height of the middle ring is 2.8mm. (all three rings = 7.67, bottom 2 rings = 6.29 and bottom ring = 3.49).

Do you need anything more info?
Chris, on the middle ring how wide is it wherever groove is? I will try and get an image up of what I mean.

Chris, on the middle ring how wide is it wherever groove is? I will try and get an image up of what I mean.

OK not to scale whatsoever but here is what is going on with the rings - remembering we are talking about 1/10s of millimetres. The angle of the lower ring cut is 60 degrees and the middle cut is 75 degrees.

If you get these made the inner chamfered part of the ring will work itself out - due to the angle of the cut.

disc.png

Is the diameter and threading on the central holes of these two discs the same (the one over the trigger and flat top), or are they different?

Marv, it's the same. There are closeup pictures of both in the Hydraulic reference thread on TDH however there is a similar but slightly different disc on which the sweep arm brush sits. The threaded hole is smaller but so is the disc itself although it is similar in shape to the disc with the convex bump.

I can supply more pictures if those aren't good enough.

Andy

Marv, it's the same. There are closeup pictures of both in the Hydraulic reference thread on TDH however there is a similar but slightly different disc on which the sweep arm brush sits. The threaded hole is smaller but so is the disc itself although it is similar in shape to the disc with the convex bump.

I can supply more pictures if those aren't good enough.

Andy
So, if I'm reading you correctly the flat one (which I have from a J A Michell Sweep arm) does has a slightly smaller central hole.

The two different styles of discs from the stylus brushes are both more or less the same diameter and the central hole is the same width. The disc from the sweep arm brush is slightly smaller in diameter and so is the threaded hole that goes through it so yes if you have a disc fro. The sweep arm brush it is smaller.

From putting my build together. I've got to categorically say the stylus brush base is not used on the sides above the trigger. It is the conical base from the sweep arm. The threaded rod from this fits the hole perfectly, you can simply screw this part together with the rod and two like discs. When you look at the reference pictures the hole in the middle of the disc is not large either.
DSC01153.JPGDSC01148.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, Marv? From your Michell-y experience, is the "knob" at the left end of the side plate on Boba's prototype Uzi-based blaster from a Michell turntable? Or just vestigially similar to the various swingarm bases?

Boba-Fett-Supertrooper-Automatic-Blaster-26.jpg

--Jonah

I'd say it looks a little similar to the base from the type of stylus brush that the Boba Fett darts can be obtained from, but not convinced. Certainly not one from a Hydraulic Reference turntable.

Here;s a question - what's the difference between the types of Hz pulleys? There's like a 50 and a 60 hz out there, had no clue they were different!

I'm guessing that it has to do with the platter, the Saturn has five plinths for the record to rest on whilst the Hydraulic Reference has six. I'm guessing that this has an effect on the weight the pulley has to work with, no idea which is which or even if it makes any difference from a props perspective?

BTW Marv, the trigger discs are attached with dome head screws so the holes are covered.

From putting my build together. I've got to categorically say the stylus brush base is not used on the sides above the trigger. It is the conical base from the sweep arm. The threaded rod from this fits the hole perfectly, you can simply screw this part together with the rod and two like discs. When you look at the reference pictures the hole in the middle of the disc is not large either.
View attachment 461615View attachment 461614

I not so sure that's the case when you see it from this side? I'm happy with my solution to this using the threaded sweep arm rod. It works from the point of view it fits the hole and obviously the discs.
On this shot you can see the hole is small too :)

bowcaster_anh_007_0.jpg
I would like to know however what size screws you have used though, especially on the plates. The threading on the discs is a very old imperial size indeed, I tried using the screws I took out of an old Michell tuntable board and they did not fit!?

The other side is a little clearer and you can see the slot in the screw head. The same dome head slotted screws are used elsewhere but some also appear to be pan head slotted so it could be one of those.

bowcaster%20screws.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, it's M3 that seems to fit some of the discs, not m3.5.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back