SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Lightsabers

mvanwalks421

I've had a bit of time this weekend to check out all things Episode VII related and perhaps one of the most, not the most, interesting things that kept rattling around in my head about this movie were the lightsabers. What do they look like? Are the hilts machine-like or more streamlined? What do the blades look like? Are we getting more colors than just blue, red, and green? Will the fighting style be more linear or, God forbid, dance-like?
(I mean no offense to PT fans, I just didn't like that fighting style.) Anyways, I felt that all these questions about the Sequel Trilogy (most specifically VII) lightsabers, and more, needed to have their own thread for building references and general nerd discussion.

To start us off, we have seen at least one lightsaber design for this movie, maybe two. The reason the current number is up to debate is because, well, the pictures provided to the general public seem to avoid the question.

15295563013_9da7e6017f_o.jpgvRSGA6g.jpgLUqQxXc.jpg

*both sets of images have been edited to show more detail*

You think it'd be easy to discern one lightsaber design from the other, but the twitter images just barely avoid the discernible features of the crossguard lightsaber we had seen in the first teaser. Assuming it is the same model hilt in both sets of images, the hand in the teaser screenshot covers a portion of the saber (wide-ribbed upper grip) with one side of the saber facing away from the camera (TPM Obi-Wan rigged hand grip) in the twitter images. In addition, the recognizable features, such as the crossguard and elongated vertical rubber grip pommel seen in the teaser, are out of frame in the twitter images. You decide whether they are two different lightsabers or the same model, I suppose we'll find out in good time.

In other lightsaber related news for The Force Awakens, it seems we're finally getting a yellow lightsaber.....that is, based on recently leaked concept art.

wpid-received_m_mid_1411595747093_51d0766334e4eb8497_0.jpeg

I, for one, am excited that this could very well be a featured lightsaber color in the movie. It's different, it's new, and I've always liked the idea of seeing a yellow lightsaber in a Star Wars film.

And just a general comment about the fighting choreography since I shared my opinion about the Prequel Era duels....I would prefer the fights to be a cross between the linear style of The Empire Strikes Back and a lesser version of the use of the force as seen in The Old Republic Cinematic trailers.

Anyways, that's all I have to contribute for now. If you've found anything out, or had any thoughts you'd like to share, please do so. I will be posting more as new information is revealed and as soon as I finish my amateur 2D mockup of the crossguard lightsaber (assuming the twitter images and the teaser screenshot showcase the same lightsaber).

Attachments

• vRSGA6g.jpg
    vRSGA6g.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 295
  • LUqQxXc.jpg
    LUqQxXc.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 326
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the second hilt is really from the movie, it looks identical to the Samurai 3000 Collection-Katana.
Samurai_3000_Collection-Katana_UC1258.jpg

If they really are using this as a lightsaber in the new movies i'll be very disappointed.

I don't think the second hilt is really from the movie, it looks identical to the Samurai 3000 Collection-Katana.
View attachment 410808

If they really are using this as a lightsaber in the new movies i'll be very disappointed.

hurm.....that reference just went over my head. I suppose I'm back to square one with the 2D crossguard lightsaber then; I greatly appreciate your shared insight.

Thanks to jokingking's help, I removed all the features of the "lightsaber" from the twitter picture and stuck with the details seen only in the teaser. For now, my Darth Unknown lightsaber sketch is crude and simple; but hopefully, as more stills and trailers come out, I will expand on the design and add the correct details.

Concept 1.jpg

*this concept has gone through many changes as I attempted to get the proportions almost exact with the teaser screenshot. Forgive my general noobness*

Attachments

• Concept.png
    Concept.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Concept.png
    Concept.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 247
  • Concept.png
    Concept.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Concept.png
    Concept.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Concept 1.jpg
    Concept 1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Didn't see this posted on this thread but thought it might be relevant.

http://clubjade.net/?p=61679

GMA: The Force Awakens teaser voiceover is indeed Andy Serkis, and about that final lightsaber sound…[/h]Good Morning America had their segment on The Force Awakens today, and their “exclusives” are fairly underwhelming: The first is one we’ve heard before and have little reason to disbelieve: The voiceover is Andy Serkis
Slightly more intriguing is that they claim the lightsaber heard at the very end of the teaser is the blue one Luke has in A New Hope… Hmm. Disney company or no, not sure I trust GMA has that officially, but I assume we’ll get more as the day goes on. So that’s our new debate for today. Whoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
That might lend some credence to someone finding Luke's lightsaber. Only it's his old one, not the ROTJ, which I presume he will still be using.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back