Adventure Time - I'm making BMO!

JoshOTI

So a few days ago I had the brilliant idea (slightly sarcastic tone there) of building my Girlfriend her own personal BMO as a birthday/Christmas present (she has a December birthday)
It's a brilliant idea and I absolutely love it, after having this idea I can't not do it. The only problem is that this is time sensitive. I've got about a week and a half to actually build this thing.
It is possible, but it may be that this becomes a present she will receive in the new year as I want it to be the best it can be.
Unfortunately this build will not be a working screen/face build with actual electrical features. Though I am hoping that is something I can do at a later stage or do on another build.

So!
I plan on making BMO out of Styrene or MDF. Most likely Styrene as I've found a real nice colour online and this will make the build a lot quicker/easier. That and I've not done any woodwork since I was in school many years ago.

First off I've made myself flats of each side of BMO, as this is essentially making a box it really shouldn't be too difficult, the main thing will be the details when it comes to that.
I've made the flats on illustrator loosely basing it off of a paper craft file for BMO that you can find here over here - http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/sit...o.uk/files/adventure-time-beemo-paper-toy.pdf

My flats -
Screen Shot 2014-11-30 at 18.10.08.png

I plan on making his face changeable with different emotions/screen and also plan on making his whole faceplate removable via magnets so he can also be used for storage or be upgraded with electrics in the future.

I will be updating this more in the coming days as the build progresses.
It may well be a few days till I get the materials though. So much for time sensitive...

I can't wait to see the progress on this. I'm building my own BMO as well, but I'm using acrylic sheets for the body and an lcd screen for the face from a digital picture frame.

Thanks! I loved your Adventure Time sword build, and that's something I hope to tackle in the future.
A lcd screen from a digital picture frame is a great idea! I'd love to see your BMO when you've got some progress too.

As someone who's responsible for building one of the earliest versions of a playable BMO video game system and has also done work with a digital picture frame, new BMOs always intrigue me.

some of my previous builds
F2DORNAGLWQZUVP.MEDIUM.jpg

Word of advice- the papercraft model is based on an older design of the guy, one that currently features the sharp edged corners rather than the rounded edges found in more recent entries of the character. Additionally, the width of the papercraft is at least 30% thinner than how he appears on the show.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mattonymy - I think I have seen your builds whilst I was doing some research for this, there isn't a lot out there but they builds I have seen are great, yours included! I will hopefully be rounding off the corners once he is put together, this is something that I had noticed and taken into account. Though if it proves too difficult I will have to make do with square corners for this first build.
The Schlitzie - I'd seen Bob Hs build too and hope to have something similar by the end (though without the electronics)

Last edited by a moderator:
My materials were supposed to arrive yesterday, I paid extra to get a courier and wish I hadn't now. Still no sign of them today, but I really hope they arrive before the weekend and I can then crack on with this project!
These are the Styrene sheets I'm waiting on, luckily I managed to find exactly the right coloured sheets in a bundle. I've also got a clear blue sheet on the way too which I will be using for the screen/face.
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 11.06.35.png

The only thing I need to figure out in the meantime is what to make the arms and legs out of.
I would love if he could stand on his own with legs but am not sure what material would hold well.
I would also love if he could be moved to a sitting position, but I think at this stage it may have to be one and not the other.

Been meaning to build one of these once my other projects are out of the way. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Did this ever pan out, would love to see your version?

I finished mine. Now working on making one with screen accurate innards from a certain episode.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back