Scratch-built Batman Utility Belt – FINISHED!

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been considering a proper Utility Belt for a while. I decided to begin a scratch build of a non-functional belt today. I tend to like the more mechanical belts vs. the pouch look. I gathered a ton of reference of the belts from Arkham City, The Dark Knight, and Batman v Superman. In the end I decided to build a custom belt that takes a bit from all of these. Something a bit original, but familiar.

Here's the start. I built the first compartment today from styrene. The finished belt with have several of these. This one will be molded and cast to create the multiples I'll need. It will be solid resin and non-functional. For the design I really just started building and let the design emerge. I'm pretty pleased with what I arrived at.

I also built a cylinder. The finished belt with have a couple of these as well. This is just modified PVC parts.

I thought a lot about whether to have a linked belt (with little pins and spacers) like the dark knight belt. In the end I arrived at a solution that I think will give the look of a linked belt without dealing with all the pins needed to link everything. For my belt I created a small spacer piece that will go in between all the belt compartments. All pieces will attach to a web underbelt. From the front it will look like a linked belt.

I photoshopped these components into a series to see how the finished belt might look.

Now, on to the buckle.

IMG_2879.jpgIMG_2880.jpgbelt_mock-up.jpgbeltcompartments1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Scratch-built Batman Utility Belt

Thanks! So I drew up the design so far in Adobe Illustrator to figure out a buckle design. This is a bit inspired by the Arkham City. Might try a few more things before I build it.

belt_buckle.jpg

I'm glad I'm kicking around the buckle digitally. Here's a couple more ideas. Tried one that has more of a Bat silhouette.

Attachments

• buckles.jpg
    buckles.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 246

I really like the buckle in the top one in post #4. I love the compartment and cylinder. I think this is going to be an awesome belt!!

Yup, pretty set on that buckle. I'll try to knock it out tomorrow. For now, let's obsess about something else. I printed out a full belt mockup to gauge how many of the compartments I'll need. I noticed that with the spacers in between each compartment, you really only get 4 compartments on the belt and really only see a coupe from a front view. If I remove the spacers and butt the compartments up next to each other you get a more FULL looking belt. Honestly, that's something that bugged me about the Dark Knight/Begins belt. There were only a few compartments on the belt. I gotta decide which way I want to go with this.

arrangement.jpgwithdivider.jpgwithoutdivider.jpg

Some of the sketches that precipitated this build. Been doodling for weeks :)

sketches.jpg

What about the first design, but with one space every two pouch/pod ? So you have buckle-space-pouch-pod-space-pouch-pouch and so on ? This way it breathes a bit, but it doesn't feel too empty ? Awesome design by the way, but when you're done, you have to design the rest of the suit now ;)

Spent today building out buckle I designed out of sheet styrene and Sintra. The scale feels about right.
IMG_2894.jpgIMG_2898.JPG
I also found a solution for the "too much space in between the compartments" issue: Thinner spacers :) ... I'll still use the wider one on each side of the buckle to give it some variety.

So here's the base components that will comprise the majority of my belt. I'll be casting multiples of several of these pieces.
IMG_2896.jpgIMG_2899.jpgIMG_2900.JPG

I still need to think about how the belt will close. I'm aware people tend to use a velcro closure in the back, but seeing as my belt will be more of a display piece, I think I want a solution that looks more intentional. The buckle I made is non-functional so something at the back makes the most sense.

For the closing mechanism, maybe you can look into the TDK design, it did close at the back with some kind of interlocking mechanism. I can't find a decent picture of it though.

Molding the three main components using Smooth-on Oomoo :)

IMG_2901.JPGIMG_2902.jpg

Scratch-built Batman Utility Belt

Casting Day!

I pulled casts of all the parts necessary for my finished belt using Smoothcast 300. The molds did well.

The bright white parts don't photograph very well, but this gives an idea of the finished belt. I also created a new component, a thinner capsule. A gas canister perhaps.

More soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    486.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2918.JPG
    IMG_2918.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2921.JPG
    IMG_2921.JPG
    637.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2923.JPG
    IMG_2923.JPG
    539.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2915.jpg
    IMG_2915.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2920.jpg
    IMG_2920.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Black primer makes everything better :)

Attachments

• IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2926.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 213

Paint test. I tried a number of gold metallics. I wanted something dark and not too glossy. And something I can apply light enough to not obscure details. The answer was this great Rustoleum Satin Metallic Classic Bronze. I also hit the screws with an aluminum silver for a little interest.

I also found a great tool belt at Menards. It's heavy duty webbing and a buckle that looks like it was designed to go with my belt. This will be the underbelt everything will attach to.

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2927.jpg
    950.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2929.jpg
    IMG_2929.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2930.jpg
    IMG_2930.jpg
    975.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Beautiful work! really enjoyed seeing your process. The printing out the 'drawing' of the belt was very clever to get a good visual of it. So you said you cut it out of styrene and 'layered up' the pieces? or was any of that 3d printed? it just looks so clean and nice :)
Awesome work

Finished! I used JB Kwik Weld to attach the belt parts to the underbelt. Everything seems to be holding strong. I may use some small screws in the back if pieces start loosening up. But she's really SOLID.

I was worried about weight. Turns out it's not that heavy. It's actually quite comfortable to wear. I forget I have it on sometimes:).

Fantasy. Fulfilled.

Attachments

• belt9.jpg
    belt9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 206
  • belt8.jpg
    belt8.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 228
  • belt7.jpg
    belt7.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 208
  • belt6.jpg
    belt6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 203
  • belt3.jpg
    belt3.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 263
  • belt2.jpg
    belt2.jpg
    929.2 KB · Views: 252
  • belt1.jpg
    belt1.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 239
  • belton.jpg
    belton.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back