What is your favorite weird sculpting tool?

ZachWinks

I've just started sculpting and whenever I do research I find that people have there favorite tool that isn't originally made for sculpting. What is your favorite, and what do you use it for.

Mine is actually a sculpting tool that I hold above all else, but if I were to have to say one that wasn't originally meant for sculpting that I have since used for sculpting, it would have to be a piece of wire hanger where the bottom straight piece meets one of the elbows. I've folded it out to look more like an "L" and very frequently use the bend to smooth and the tips to scrape small areas.

I've actually used x-acto knives with #11 blades and tooth picks before, usually because i'm too lazy to get the other tools out at the time lol.

Mine is a folding metal finger nail file, the type that comes in a nail clipper kit.
It has a small hooked end that I use for wrinkles and scraping small areas.

Swingline makes these orange rubber fingertips for flipping through papers. They have little bumps on them that make them a great tool for refining.

I love using a manicure tool that is rounded and concave on one side; like this:
nailtool.jpg

Nearly all of my tools are customized or heavily modified. Next to nothing worthwhile exists for folks who are sculpting that can be used as they're bought. You can find some great ready to go bits at anatomytools.com.

Some of my favorite tools are those cheap wooden tools you can buy just about anywhere, taken to a grinding wheel and carving to my needs and liking. I also make most of my metal tools, and some of them can get a little freaky.. all in the name of efficiency

The weirdest? I get a lot of looks when I use my 2x4 for quick smoothing and shaping. :lol

Love making my own tools from different size brass tubing. Insert different gauge wires to form loops pinch the ends closed, a little crazy glue and you're done. Different sized guitar stings used as rakes inserted in the tubes are by far my favorite sculpting tools though.

What a fantastic question!

Wax paper. You can roll out most media between two sheets super thin and it'll still peel right up. It's also great for lining paint trays for easy clean up.

An old manicure kit ($1 at Michaels) is invaluable.

A metal paper clip in exacto handles. The small and large curves on a small paper clip work great! Collapsing the loop with pliers makes a nice tight loop. Works great for sculpy. I also use an old chop stick that had a little decorative spoon on the end. I shaped it down and I use it a lot.

wood popsicle sticks, there cheap and you can cut/sand angles or grooves into them. I use them for mixing and smoothing out bondo in tight spaces.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back