Scratchbuilt T-68 X-Wing Heavy Gunner

Archive&Future

Sr Member
On Saturday morning my friend Erik sent me a little concept sketch he had done, with the premise of Incom making a competitor to the Y-Wing, like a heavy fighter bomber or something. He just sent me the sketch so I fleshed out the idea and did a 1/72 scale drawing of the side plan so that I could work from it. This was the same day by the way....I was so taken by his idea that I just had to give it a shot!

15691471469_d2f233b4dc_b.jpg

My good friend Sam also did some sketches after I showed him my model progress

15851684346_cfa07fd922_b.jpg

(My friends are very talented and I'm a lucky kiddo)

Here's my scaled side plan

15690169150_ed49ab59ee_b.jpg

I started with 1mm styrene and just fiddled around making the angles. I dunno...it's pretty straightforward stuff

15876834992_ef681b1688_b.jpg

I spent like......30 minutes sawing this aluminium torch by hand (from poundland no less) to get the turret socket

15689969878_ac56e455de_b.jpg

I picked up a bag of 1/72 spitfires that were half built and missing parts, the pilots are great......once I've painted them in rebel uniform colours they should be perfect

15690174590_719f366c12_b.jpg

Started working out the cockpit. A damn fiddly piece to make but once the seams had been filled and sanded it became a very neat piece I think

15691725177_59995db656_b.jpg

15689975848_eb0b60c72a_b.jpg

Here you can see the wing mechanism, it's lego and styrene

15875505091_a7297f18c4_b.jpg

What's in a (user)name??

15255229304_3514764175_b.jpg

Tamiya paint pot lids sawn in half....nice Saturn V style ribbing, even nicer Ralph McQuarrie essence

15876839032_ab3506e38d_b.jpg

Interestingly every single wing is different to each other and almost nothing lines up properly!! SUPER DUPER

15876838782_cff08dac29_b.jpg

15689974018_94af4c852f_b.jpg

15876838182_eff8b98251_b.jpg

15691474289_c4a0727905_b.jpg

I'm thinking about adding Flak 38 cannons for the wingtip guns.....any thoughts? I'll be using the Revell Pocket X-Wing guns for the turret....keeping in theme and all that. I'll start the bottom hull soon

Last edited:
I like it, it's nice to see something recognizable but different and since you see these one off prototypes in the real world it makes sense. I wish we had poundlands here in the US, i haven't seen a store with a cheap model kit in years and i wish i'd bought them for 1.00 each when they did.

I like it, it's nice to see something recognizable but different and since you see these one off prototypes in the real world it makes sense. I wish we had poundlands here in the US, i haven't seen a store with a cheap model kit in years and i wish i'd bought them for 1.00 each when they did.

Ohhh no I wasn't very clear, the spitfires were Airfix ones which I got half built in a big bag from my local model shop. I only bought the torch in poundland. Don't you have Dollar Tree or something very like that???

Looks very cool HH! I am also working on my concept R.M. X-wing. I love the sharp angles on the fuselage. If you don't mind me asking, how did you cut your styrene so straight and clean? Thanks.

jake

Ohhh no I wasn't very clear, the spitfires were Airfix ones which I got half built in a big bag from my local model shop. I only bought the torch in poundland. Don't you have Dollar Tree or something very like that???

We used to but very few places carry model kits anymore. There was one i should have loaded up on them but they only had 2 models to choose from. Best place over here for models is Amazon as airfix is dirt cheap.

Looks very cool HH! I am also working on my concept R.M. X-wing. I love the sharp angles on the fuselage. If you don't mind me asking, how did you cut your styrene so straight and clean? Thanks.

jake

I just make sure I always have a sharp blade (I go through masses) and I use an aluminium ruler.....pencil first, then repeated cuts until it's either free, or scored enough to make a clean break

And always sand the piece flat against a piece of fine abrasive paper and also against the edges so that you rid any trenching or burring and get a nice clean edge

Last edited:

At first I was trying to figure out if "Poundland" was somewhere that makes super strong metal, or if it's a local reference. :lol I get you now, yeah we have Dollar stores.

That looks pretty cool so far!

I forgot to ask, what did you make the ball turret itself out of? I've never found clear orbs so small.

It's a combination of a plastic ring and two turret hemispheres I THINK a Lancaster bomber.....I just had them in my kitbash box so I dunno for certain, it was fortunate that I had two the same diameter

Excellent work and great use of leftover model parts! Now that you started it you HAVE to finish it so we can see the final product:thumbsup

Did some sketches of my own today

15860467296_a28442e6ed_b.jpg

15886278595_876a6669a4_b.jpg

I just love this idea of the rebels swapping out the turret socket with newer turrets or even different pods.....my collection of Rebel fighters is growing rather fast (Red 3, with 2 and 5 in the works....Red Jammer, Gold Leader with 3 and 5 in the works....Falcon hovering in the distance of my projects....)

How many open-ended projects ya got going on at this very moment!?

Um like ......hmm......9 on the go currently with 4 on the backburner and quuuitte a few that are sitting there ready to be started beyond basic instruction notes and sprue cutting......
So a few?? I guess??? Those are just my modelling projects...................................I have about 65 million other things on the go as well.

OH the life of an art student

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back