Theoretical plastic Chinese mountain scale armor

I've been (very slowly) trying to get an Abhorsen (if you don't know the Abhorsen trilogy, it's about fighting the undead with magic bells) costume together - not a particular Abhorsen, and based vaguely on the descriptions from the books rather than the cover art. Because I'm at college right now and not able to make stuff, I have instead been thinking way to hard about making stuff. Specifically, I was thinking about the armor, which (if I remember correctly) is described as a coat of interlocking (I could be wrong, they might have just been overlapping) scales, and somehow that led to me discovering Chinese mountain scale. There isn't much historical information about it; evidence only survives in statues and paintings, but it supposedly looked something like this:
mountain scale statue 2.jpgstatuescales close.jpg

The reigning theory of how it was made is, I think, this guy's, in which it goes together something like this:
fig3.jpgfig4.jpg

And people have tried this, and it looks really cool:
tumblr_inline_nf7jf2z7UY1rizid9.jpgtumblr_inline_nf7jfwy74U1rizid9.jpg

That guy's in the SCA, so he had to make it in steel, but I'm not - and the Abhorsen's armor is supposed to be ceramic anyway, not metal.

So, theoretically, would it be possible - and, importantly, feasible - to make scales for this out of some sort of thin plastic? What kind? Would it be worth it to get the scales laser-cut? Most importantly, how would one shape them? Could I make a thing out of wood or something in the right shape, put a scale on it, and then hit it with a heat gun? Am I making any sense? I've never made armor out of anything other than craft foam, so I'm interested in any and all theories, and I think someone​ really ought to try this. Because it just looks so cool.

I have seen and worn alot of armor but I have never seen that type of scale armor. Very cool! I learn something new every day but this is quite unique! Love it!

You should be able to vacform it or do some type of press mold after heating it.
If you do a large enough buck you could pull several at a time.

ABS or PETG would be good for the final material.
ABS will give some flex without cracking like HIPS would.
PETG would be pretty solid.

You should be able to vacform it or do some type of press mold after heating it.
If you do a large enough buck you could pull several at a time.

ABS or PETG would be good for the final material.
ABS will give some flex without cracking like HIPS would.
PETG would be pretty solid.

Thanks! I would guess those are...not things I can cut with scissors. Any advice on cutting such a weird shape, or getting it cut somewhere?

Once you made a mold and pulled it in plastic it cuts best with a dremel. I like the slotted wood cutting discs best.

Scissors might be just fine depending on the thickness. I cut 500 scalemail scales from 0.75mm styrene with Ginghers. It's worth a try... much faster and cleaner than resorting to power tools. I swap left and right handed scissors as one hand gets tired.

Scissors might be just fine depending on the thickness. I cut 500 scalemail scales from 0.75mm styrene with Ginghers. It's worth a try... much faster and cleaner than resorting to power tools. I swap left and right handed scissors as one hand gets tired.

How bendy is 0.75mm? I'm worried it might be too flimsy, but then again, more flexible might be better...

How bendy is 0.75mm? I'm worried it might be too flimsy, but then again, more flexible might be better...

If you're going to thermoform the scales into that 3d shape, most of the strength is coming from the bent shape, not the thickness of the plastic. (in engineering speak: the area moment of intertia due to the shape will far exceed the moment of the flat sheet) Once they're formed i think you'll have a hard time bending them by hand, even with a thinner plastic like 0.5mm. This is probably why the original armor has that shape to begin with. For costume-grade armor, personally i would try 0.5mm first... thicker plastic will cost more and be harder to work with, so no point in using it unless you find it's necessary.

If you're going to thermoform the scales into that 3d shape, most of the strength is coming from the bent shape, not the thickness of the plastic. (in engineering speak: the area moment of intertia due to the shape will far exceed the moment of the flat sheet) Once they're formed i think you'll have a hard time bending them by hand, even with a thinner plastic like 0.5mm. This is probably why the original armor has that shape to begin with. For costume-grade armor, personally i would try 0.5mm first... thicker plastic will cost more and be harder to work with, so no point in using it unless you find it's necessary.

Awesome! Thanks for the science.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back