Seeking advice: How to make stuff look like metal without special rubs/compounds?

SaberFreak

Sr Member
I want to make my scratch build shotgun look more metallic, but without having to import stuff like rub n buff because it'd be too expensive, and may even incur customs duty.

So I'm hoping the immensely talented people here know of other ways to achieve a metallic finish using everyday paints and materials.

It depends on your materials. If you're just looking to apply something to the surface, starting with something like silver leaf and then painting over it might work. If you're looking to make smaller, detail area look metallic, aluminum tape is an option. If you're going to be molding and casting it, you could always cold cast the parts with an appropriate metal powder in it.

Then you always have the classic option of just using metallic rattle can paints that you can get at your local DIY/Home Improvement stores.

It all depends on the look you're going for, but with enough effort and creativity, there's no reason to import anything so long as you have access to the basics.

Maybe a few more specifics about your build would help us point you further in the right direction.

-Nick

Thanks for the reply Nick.

I'm looking to apply the finish on the surface, over a primed surface. The base material is PVC and filled with bondo/milliput in some areas. There is some metal in the strycture but only very little.

I tried rattle can paint but they don't look convincing enough. Unless there are steps/processes I need to follow to make it look better.

I like the silver leaf/metallic, aluminum tape idea, but not sure if I can even get those where I am.

Hmm this is a tough one cause you say you don't want to import materials (I can understand). I'd say the best thing in this case is to establish what paints are readily available to you right now and let us know. If you're not wanting to go the cold-cast route or get rub & buff in, then you're going to really be limited to spray paints. I will say that if you're going for a straight metallic look, like say aluminum for example, I'd say first smooth the prop out, then take a really fine steel wool or very high number grit sandpaper, and create striations across the body, typically going in one direction or similar. What this will do is that once you paint over it with your best option for a silver, will/should replicate the textured appearance of aluminum (I've done this myself)

scratched_aluminum_texture_3_by_beckas.jpg

Of course it's just one example, and it depends on what you want exactly

If you have access to ALCLAD lacquer paints, give them a try. They're a bit temperamental to apply, but once you get the hang of it, it should give you a fairly decent metallic look.

By the way, where are you located?

Aluminum tape can be found anywhere they sell ducting for home heating and ventilation.
For silver leaf, either a craft store or your best bet, an automotive paint shop that does custom work. See if there's a supply house for automotive paint supplies. Back in NYC, that's where I would get my silver and gold leaf.

Either way, it looks like you'll have to layer colors to get it where you want.

The first pic can probably be done with a gunmetal base followed by a black wash and some steel wool to get the grain effect.
The second pic looks much easier since it's the "gun blue". Metallic base followed by thin coats of a blackish-blue until you get the blue you want.

Thats how I would do it if I didn't use metal to begin with.

If you have access to ALCLAD lacquer paints, give them a try. They're a bit temperamental to apply, but once you get the hang of it, it should give you a fairly decent metallic look.
Will try to look around but I doubt anyone here stocks that

By the way, where are you located?
A small town in Malaysia. Only the state capital of Kuala Lumpur(almost 3 hours by plane from me) has some of what you guys have in the rest of the developed world.

Aluminum tape can be found anywhere they sell ducting for home heating and ventilation.
Our houses don't have heating and ventilation ducts because we're in the tropics, so I doubt it's something the stores here stocks.

For silver leaf, either a craft store or your best bet, an automotive paint shop that does custom work. See if there's a supply house for automotive paint supplies. Back in NYC, that's where I would get my silver and gold leaf.
Again, doubt any shop here stocks that. But it may be something I'm willing to import since it shouldn't weigh too much.

Just think of me as someone living in the Alakan town of Talkeetna. That's how much access I have to stuff you guys are used to.

WOOOOOW. I now understand your dilemma.

If you can, test out some spray can metallic paint and whatever you can use to do the dark wash with.

Best of luck SF!!

Powdered graphite brushed over black primer or flat black paint gives a great gunmetal effect. If you don't have access to powdered graphite, just grind up pencil lead.

Powdered graphite brushed over black primer or flat black paint gives a great gunmetal effect. If you don't have access to powdered graphite, just grind up pencil lead.
Grinding up pencil lead is something I can definitely do!

Will give that a try as soon as I'm free tomorrow.

Do I seal it with matte clear coat? Or leave it as is?

I forgot the mention that after you brush it on, buff it with a clean soft cloth. You can seal it with clearcoat, but it will lose some of its luster. The graphite sticks surprisingly well to the paint. It's not a super durable finish, but for props its pretty good.

For straight up metal use foil (the stuff you use in the kitchen)
Many scale modelers use it on planes for real bare metal.

For colorings over silver you can use inks or leather dyes.
Blue ink will give that blued effect.
Use brown and orange for a oily look.

You can also transfer metallic paint onto black primer.
Spray your metallic onto some scrap cardboard or something and let it dry, then rub with a soft cloth.
Next with the same cloth rub over the black primer.
The more you do it the brighter it will get.

...You can also transfer metallic paint onto black primer.
Spray your metallic onto some scrap cardboard or something and let it dry, then rub with a soft cloth.

I would go with this as well. For the first pic you posted, I would paint it flat brown, flat to give the silver a texture to cling to. Then do the dry brush/dry rag technique. Go slowly and lightly, and allow the silver to build up to what you want. This could be done with graphite or silver paint.

I thought semi-gloss black with dry brushed silver made a pretty convincing gun finish when I make prop guns. Rattle cans.

to add to Mr N.

"Powdered graphite brushed over black primer or flat black paint gives a great gunmetal effect. If you don't have access to powdered graphite, just grind up pencil lead.?

Then spray a layer of Crystal Clear Matt.....then let dry....and repeat. til you get the look you want.

I forgot the mention that after you brush it on, buff it with a clean soft cloth. You can seal it with clearcoat, but it will lose some of its luster. The graphite sticks surprisingly well to the paint. It's not a super durable finish, but for props its pretty good.

You can also transfer metallic paint onto black primer.

Based on what you're looking to do, these are your best options. Don't bother trying my initial ideas, I was just throwing different options out there without knowing your application, but I don't want you to waste time trying things that aren't going to give you good results. So try these first. They should get oh really close to what you want.

-Nick

Based on what you're looking to do, these are your best options. Don't bother trying my initial ideas, I was just throwing different options out there without knowing your application, but I don't want you to waste time trying things that aren't going to give you good results. So try these first. They should get oh really close to what you want.

-Nick
Thanks Nick, will do.

Just need to get my hands on a can of metallic paint now.

I presume this metallic paint would be silver/chrome colour?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back