Star Wars Holiday Special Anniversary... would you rather be reminded today, in time

Clerval

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
... or tomorrow, when you can say 'oh darn, if only I had known, I'd have dug up that recently unearthed and infinitely superior quality version and had a wonderful nostalgia trip' (without, alas, the commercials... sigh)

(At LFL, I used to make people watch clips if they'd made an especially dip-shirted, ahem, goof... I was a cruel one, I was.)
You're welcome, and yes, I know, all of you are heading over to youtube right now to watch old Kenner comercials. ;-)

Re: Star Wars Holiday Special Anniversary... would you rather be reminded today, in t

There's a recently unearthed better version?

Re: Star Wars Holiday Special Anniversary... would you rather be reminded today, in t

No commercials? I want the commercials, too. Seriously.

The commercials are almost as terrible as the show. They're meant for each other.

No way I'm subjecting myself to that crap again... :lol

I've still never seen it

You haven't lived (or died) until you've seen the Holiday Special.

- - - Updated - - -

It's like sticking your hand in a garbage disposal... but sort of being ok with it for some reason, so you just leave your hand in there until your hand doesn't really even exist anymore.

Ditto!

I'm still trying to forget that one and I saw it when it first aired!

Effing YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

No way I'm subjecting myself to that crap again... :lol

But think of the like 15 minute scene in shryiiwook without subtitles.

Basically 2 wookies 1 cup.

Will spend years trying to forget.

In truth it can't be unseen.

Last edited:

I just wonder--has anyone ever actually looked up the writers of this and asked them just what they were thinking? I mean someone somewhere has to have 'writer of the Star Wars Holiday special' on their resume'........................or maybe not, but I would sure love to hear their reasoning behind this pile of crap.

It was the 70"s !

Enuff said! :D

I just wonder--has anyone ever actually looked up the writers of this and asked them just what they were thinking? I mean someone somewhere has to have 'writer of the Star Wars Holiday special' on their resume'........................or maybe not, but I would sure love to hear their reasoning behind this pile of crap.

I guess the deal was struck before George realized it was a durable franchise - when he was prepared to sell out early on a concept with a finite lifespan.

I do still like the premise and a lot of the elements, even if execution suffered. They put a lot of effort into those wookiee costumes (even if they had them wearing clothes for some goofy reason); we got to see more of the barely-glimpsed-in-the-background-of-Star-Wars single-breasted Imperial uniforms (what I consider the "class B" uniform), we see that Bast was smart enough to get on that ship with or without Tarkin, we see that the cockpit of the Y-Wing can detach as a repulsorlift lifeboat/speeder -- a concept from the early development of the snowspeeders (detached cockpits from two-seat versions of the Y-Wing), we see one of Boba Fett's backup sets of armor and more of the interior of the Falcon, I like Bea Arthur as the night manager of the Mos Eisley cantina, I like Chewie's son's models, I like the idea that they have a holiday centered around the Force (even if we idiot humans mistranslate the name of it)...

Itchy's VR interspecies erotica, the principles' makeup and hair, Carrie swaying visibly from the drugs she's hopped up on, and setting words to the Star Wars theme are excruciating, but not quite bad enough to make me want to excise the whole thing from my brain.

I'd actually like to see Dave Filoni do a "Special Edition" of it in CG, fix all the bad production values and recycled space-battle effects shots, and have the Boba Fett short be a record of his and Han's adventures that Chewie sent his son (with nuBSG-style "documentary camera" filming effects to reflect the various shipboard or whatever sensor systems were recording it all, which Chewie spliced together into a narrative). Maybe in a couple years for the 40th anniversary :cry of it.

--Jonah

Don't forget Carrie's singing words to the Star Wars main title theme, Hamill's impressive glam makeover, his cobbled together saber hilt never to be seen in the movies, the Wilhelm, deleted Mos Eisley back alley scene, ANH Storm trooper outfits, our first look at Kashyyyk, etc....

I saw it live in 1978.

Whether or not Lucasfilm says this was NOT canon.... you have the original actors, in original film costumes, playing the original film roles, in an officially sanctioned SW story. That's cannon, it happened, get over it. That would be like a couple having a second child that they didn't really like, and years later denying that it ever existed because the family has moved on. It's still real, it was birthed by them, and has a lasting influence (for good or for bad)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back