Full-size Lego Space Helmet

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a project I couldn't get out of my head. I want a full-size wearable version of the helmet worn by the Classic Lego Space minifigs.

My plan is to build it proportionally correct for a human (well, mine anyway) head. I'll also address the interior in someway with a liner or padding.

Attachments

• spaceman3.jpg
    spaceman3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 188
  • helms1.jpg
    helms1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 168
  • spaceman1.jpg
    spaceman1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 184
Here's a look at my rough cast. I created a quick "mold" from a bowl hot glued to a cardboard cylinder. I slush-cast resin into that to create this resin positive. Unconventional perhaps, but it quickly gave me a perfectly cylindrical positive to start modifying. Less sanding and forming than a pep version. I've starting some bondoing of the rough seams.

Attachments

• legohelm.jpg
    legohelm.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 136
For the Lego nerds: The Classic Space Helmet has actually gone though a few modifications over the years. The character Benny from The Lego Movie has a cracked chin strap because the original late 70s helmet design was notorious for breaking. They thickened the strap on subsequent designs. Mine is going to be the original design – sans crack.

helmdates.jpg

And some additional progress. Smoothed out much of the surface defects and inserted the recessed dimples.

Attachments

• helm1.jpg
    helm1.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 129
  • helm2.jpg
    helm2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
  • helm3.jpg
    helm3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
  • helm4.jpg
    helm4.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 139
Brilliant idea Valor. And a clever execution. I like what you did to make the basic shape.

Will you open up the face area? Or simply add some sort of screen to create the illusion of the flat face while allowing the user to see?

Looking forward to more pictures.

Ted.

The face shield will be open like the real helmets. I might add a removable yellow lego face shield that can clip on the inside for display. Maybe even see-through to wear.

I'm wrapping up primer before I seal it for molding. I did a quick photoshop of some color and a face to verify that I nailed the proportions. I'm pretty happy! If I have to nitpick, the "thickness" of my helmet could be proportionally thicker. Meaning I would need to cut out the opening and build the depth in. Not sure I'm concerned enough to do that.

legotest.jpg

Last edited:
I decided (for now) not to worry about molding this and use this build as MY helmet. So, I cut out the face shield. I created a thick trim area around the opening with Bondo to add some depth. The rest of the interior will be a liner made from EVA foam. I shot the inside a nice bold Rustoleum red. After that dries I'll paint the outside. Totally resisting the urge to stuff my head inside :)

IMG_2796.JPGIMG_2794.jpg

Last edited:
And some paint on the outside. Side note, the Rustoleum 2x is pretty gloppy. I'll have some wet sanding to do.

helmred.jpg

I think I finished the color coat tonight. I say "think" because this paint has been kicking my butt. I had several air bubbles pop up after I laid down the red. Off-gassing from the Bondo underneath I think. I need to work on my patience and let stuff cure before I move on to the next step. After a couple days I'll hit it with some clear then wet-sand and polish.

I love the red. I have some simple plans for a liner. Stay tuned.

IMG_2823.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work!!! Way better than what I put together for my sons Emett costume. I've contemplated making a Lord Business or bad cop suit for myself for Comicon. Thank for posting the pics.
20141031_180828.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back