Interstellar TARS build

tars_blueprints_final_60dpi.png

I made this quick blueprint showing the dimensions of TARS that I was able to get from the Bluray featurette. I'm seriously thinking of building a full size TARS for DragonCon. :)

Moifert, I've also been working on a Lego TARS ... it's quite similar to yours but I took a different approach with the dimensions. I'll throw it up when it's done! Yours looks AWESOME all put together, makes me optimistic about mine too! I'm gonna use decals for the text and brail and hopefully make some sort of custom sticker for the screens.

Hey MastahBlastah,

Sorry for the late answer! thank you very much! Post photos when it's done!

Thibaut.

Sweet post. I wonder where the faux stainless plastic he is using is from?

he totally needs the black suit. Great build video too

Hello all. I'm a first time replica prob builder. Your TARS builds were an inspiration to me, and I thank you all for your work figuring dimensions, etc.

I used square wooden dowels from the hardware store for the legs/arms, CD cases for the screens, with laser jet printing on paper for the screen text, Nutella foil wrapper for his name and braille, kitchen magnets, and a bunch of chrome spray paint.

It was a fun project.

00.JPG

3.25.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Last edited:
Hello all. I'm a first time replica prob builder. Your TARS builds were an inspiration to me, and I thank you all for your work figuring dimensions, etc.

I used square wooden dowels from the hardware store for the legs/arms, CD cases for the screens, with laser jet printing on paper for the screen text, Nutella foil wrapper for his name and braille, kitchen magnets, and a bunch of chrome spray paint.

It was a fun project.

Say man, awesome build! Very creative use of resources ... that text and braille turned out great!

That's what we thought as well, however a shower curtain flange is threaded inside with no way to screw it to a piece of wood. The one above is completely hollow with 3 screwholes.

I would agree it could be part of a shower curtain setup. I'm have seen unthreaded ones here in Australia, and set up rails that roll freely in the mounts.
I know we have different things available though. Tricky one!

I am new to this forum but have been following and reading a lot about TARS design and build ideas. I'll admit at first I wasn't to sure about his design but I quickly fell in love with it and his character. I have since been building models of him from paper to Lego with my son. I have some thoughts on his mobility which seems to be a question, could TARS in real life actually walk. From looking at his design it appears as if he has the single pin joints which don't slide up or down to allow for him to walk without rocking from side to side. What if he had retractable pads which moved in and out of bottoms of his lowers four sections that touch the ground. So if he wanted to start to move in a forward walk the two center sections of his body would lift up several inches giving him clearance to move his outer sections forward. Prior to touching the ground the pads would extended several inches allowing him traction as well as giving clearance to pull the center sections forward at which time the pads would retract for the forward movement until they were to touch the ground again at which time they would extend again and so forth allowing movement in all directions. I was thinking a spiral type servo, auger style which would of course have to move quickly extending and retracting as he moves. Just my thought.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back