DEC ANH Hero Blaster Kit Builds

Vanitas

Sr Member
I've got the sleeve barrel and flash hider mostly fitted but I've had a LOT of difficulty cutting down the MGC barrel, more specifically, the steel rod at the barrel's center. The outer zamak shell my jigsaw cut through with little trouble, but the inner steel is giving me serious ulcers. Any thoughts/ideas please?

Re: Simplified, cheaper DEC ANH Hero Blaster Kit parts (posted with permission fr...

^^ hacksaw blade or dremel with cut off wheel.
Wear eye protection!
file or grind flat.

Measure once..cut twice...
Wait A Minute. ,,,,
Reverse it...
measure twice... Cut once!
; )

make sure you cut the barrel long enough to allow the Flash Hider thumb/set screw will tighten against the cut off barrel!
as Dave said.
Dry fit all first.
Have fun!

Last edited:
Re: Simplified, cheaper DEC ANH Hero Blaster Kit parts (posted with permission fr...

Sort of on topic. Has there been any chatter behind the scenes of another possible run of steel parts? Not the entire kit, but say members just want certain parts in steel instead of the cast items?

Vanitas, that rod is HARD... Hacksaw will cut it though.

KPax, is right, definitely leave more than less. Adam Savage looks to have cut too much and in the video you see them do some rigging to get around it.

Vanitas, that rod is HARD... Hacksaw will cut it though.

KPax, is right, definitely leave more than less. Adam Savage looks to have cut too much and in the video you see them do some rigging to get around it.

Don't worry, I made sure to leave enough barrel for the sleeve barrel to fit:

20140609_230417_by_4ever333-d7lr47g.jpg

This is with the sleeve barrel all the way back, but that steel rod is one tough SOB... And with my dremel out of commission, I'm stick... My jigsaw is a pretty good one, but it stood no chance. So, for now, I'm at an impasse.

Still waiting on mine :( :D I do hope that the customes does not delay the shipping...

Any tip, what would be the correct/a good lenght to shorten the "barrel"?

Looking forward to see more WIP post from you guys, who already received there kits ;)
Anybody who sanded down his Denix to apply "gun blue"?... any experiences to share? (I've search via google but couldn't find very much about it :( )
Thanks in advance :)

...first either grind down or cut off just behind the front sight on the Denix.

Slip the BullBarrel over and fit in place. Some filing of the Denix barrel where the BullBarrel mates may be required.
After you get the fit you want, mark the Denix barrel at the end of the Bull Barrel. That is your CUT line.

I used light sandpaper and 0000 steel wool to remove the finish from the Denix.
Just be careful around the edges so you dont round or soften them too much. Use wooden Popsicle sticks wrapped with steel wool or similar, to get into corners.
Not too hard. Comes off easy.
Gun Blue will color to the Denix. You will need either Aluminum Black or Paint for the Barrel and hardware.
Maybe Pewter Black as well. Not sure if Gun Blue will work, but it may, Pewter is mostly Tin.

Thanks for your tips kpax :thumbsup I will post pics of my "built" as soon as I've received the kit :D

Ah... PS.. any info. on the size of the "screw holes" I have to drill, to attach the scope-mount? so what threader/thread cutter I need?
This will help to organize the tools in front ;) Iam not sure if the diameter has been mentioned already?
(iam assuming I need to get them reflecting "Inches" instead of "milimeters/centimeters" over here in Europe)

Many thanks for helping a "blaster-newbie" :)

...first either grind down or cut off just behind the front sight on the Denix.

Slip the BullBarrel over and fit in place. Some filing of the Denix barrel where the BullBarrel mates may be required.
After you get the fit you want, mark the Denix barrel at the end of the Bull Barrel. That is your CUT line.

I used light sandpaper and 0000 steel wool to remove the finish from the Denix.
Just be careful around the edges so you dont round or soften them too much. Use wooden Popsicle sticks wrapped with steel wool or similar, to get into corners.
Not too hard. Comes off easy.
Gun Blue will color to the Denix. You will need either Aluminum Black or Paint for the Barrel and hardware.
Maybe Pewter Black as well. Not sure if Gun Blue will work, but it may, Pewter is mostly Tin.

great tips! Thanks

..and again... MANY THANKS. Perfect :)

orders #283 - #292 going out tomorrow

orders #293 - #315 will have to wait a couple of more days, (sorry, please don't hate me)
the last of the flash hiders were not good so the caster is re-doing them and he is a couple days late
I don't want to send out bad parts

the threads on the kit are as follows:
- crossbar studs we already said were 1/4-20 inch
- screws to attach mount to crossbar are M4 x .7
- middle mount hole for thumbscrew is M6 x 1
- mount cap screws are M3 x .5
- scope knob screws are 4-40 inch
- barrel screw for flash hider is M5 x .75
Also make sure to check out the original thread that started it all http://www.therpf.com/f79/anh-hero-dl-44-discussion-three-anh-greeblies-found-118186-new/
And the Adam Savage build https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4sCReGjfZ_A

Got my kits in yesterday- they are amazing! I cannot wait to start work on mine. :) My Denix will come in tomorrow, and then this weekend I will be assembling.

Thanks so much Dave, this run sure made a lot of people happy. :)

Ummm..... yeah I just remembered..... I mean forgot LOL the scope lens reticle PDF
working on it but have to change web hosting provider next week,
Network Solutions is really lacking since they became a Web.com company

Got my kits in yesterday- they are amazing! I cannot wait to start work on mine. :) My Denix will come in tomorrow, and then this weekend I will be assembling.

Thanks so much Dave, this run sure made a lot of people happy. :)

...and thanks to you Master V for starting this thread!
Glad everyone is happy

let the building commence!

Anyone have a link or list of everything I'll need for weathering? Types of paint, bluing, etc. Also best type of glue for metal. Thanks.

Anyone have a link or list of everything I'll need for weathering? Types of paint, bluing, etc. Also best type of glue for metal. Thanks.

Denix touch up areas, knobs for scope, flash hider: Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black (use OOOO steel wool after application to flash hider)
Scope, crossbar, grill, track & antennas: Satin Black Enamel spray paint
Bull barrel, scope mount: Birchwood Casey PSP Gun Blue
Some sort of brass spray paint that will match the color of the brass scope rings: scope knob
5 minute Epoxy for securing the bull barrel

My advice is to search the RPF for builds and start grabbing pics for reference. I must have 40+ pics of different builds

Denix touch up areas, knobs for scope, flash hider: Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black (use OOOO steel wool after application to flash hider)
Scope, crossbar, grill, track & antennas: Satin Black Enamel spray paint
Bull barrel, scope mount: Birchwood Casey PSP Gun Blue
Some sort of brass spray paint that will match the color of the brass scope rings: scope knob
5 minute Epoxy for securing the bull barrel

My advice is to search the RPF for builds and start grabbing pics for reference. I must have 40+ pics of different builds

FWIW, everything but the bull barrel (aluminum) is pewter, so I don't believe the PSP Gun Blue would be the best option. Pat linked a few pages back to a "Pewter Black" compound, here:

https://www.jaxchemical.com/jaxshop/shopexd.asp?id=61

I'm planning on using that^ on the FH to get the appropriate steel color, and probably satin enamel for the rest of the parts.

FWIW, everything but the bull barrel (aluminum) is pewter, so I don't believe the PSP Gun Blue would be the best option. Pat linked a few pages back to a "Pewter Black" compound, here:

https://www.jaxchemical.com/jaxshop/shopexd.asp?id=61

I'm planning on using that^ on the FH to get the appropriate steel color, and probably satin enamel for the rest of the parts.

Are you going to use a sealer at all?

- - - Updated - - -

I think you can find it here - http://darkenergycreations.com/FlashHideraluminumACCURATE.aspx

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back