Aluminum cast Clone Trooper Helmet

alienbuilder

Hallo,

my name is hinrich, i m from germany and thats my actual project: i always wanted to have an stormtrooper helmet, but never got one, or the ones available were to poor manufactured. so now i decided (after a crab hasbro mod:)) to make me an unique clone helmet, because since episode 3 came out, i really like the clone helmet design most. now, i studied art and i ve connection to a little foundry were i can work in for this little project. i want to cast a phase 2 clone trooper helmet in aluminum and, well this is now in progress.

here s what i ve already done:

First: bought me an clone helmet on ebay, modified it with an neckring and cleaned/ filled/ sanded it to be my model for a silicone form.
IMG_5575.JPG

20140919_170247.jpg

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5613.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

IMG_5685.JPG

IMG_5686.JPG

IMG_5687.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

than, as i said, I've done a silicone form
IMG_9577.JPG

IMG_9580.JPG

IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9586.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9596.JPG

IMG_9597.JPG

IMG_9600.JPG

IMG_9631.JPG

IMG_9632.JPG

IMG_9633.JPG

IMG_9635.JPG

IMG_9636.JPG

IMG_9637.JPG

IMG_9638.JPG

so far so good, i guess some of you already know well about negative forms. so the next steps will lead to the metal cast. but before i had to make models for the helmet interior, because i don't want to just cast its in aluminum, but give it a complete interior to screw in, also with some technical equipment in it. in fact i want to cast 3 helmets. one 501, a shock trooper, and a commander grew… though this is not my favorite, but its really predestinated to be an aluminum helmet. so the shock trooper helmet will get an microphone and little boxes, a sound system to hear the environment sound, and some sort of little monitors. i ve to say that i never really liked the description of the interior. so ill do my own, as i imagine the camino style helmet interior…
IMG_9640.JPG

IMG_9641.JPG

IMG_9643.JPG

IMG_9644.JPG

IMG_9645.JPG

well, for the interior i already made a half wax cast of the helmet, so i could sculpt in the parts. as you can see here, the visor form is already wax too, the mouth part still needs to be formed. next step are the small frames for the little lcd frames….

than i ll have do mace the real wax helmets for the lost wax casting. the aluminum cast might be in 2 weeks…

Last edited:
Re: Aluminium cast Clone Trooper Helmet

Ummmm...am I watching you make a recast of a recast helmet? You might want to recheck the forum rules and rethink your plan. Recasting is quite frowned upon around here. :facepalm

well well, yes the recast discussion. technical, of course: its a recast. but thats how bronze or aluminum art cast is working, you can't doing it without a negative form. and the model: we.., i don't know the definite origins of the helmet, you might be right with the MR, but of course its not what it was before. i modified it and made a new helmet out of it technically. the aluminum cast is just a transformation into another material, what no one did before, i think so. i also don't want to make money with it, its a private thing. i wanted to have an metal helmet, so here i am. and, for the Juge: i m an artist and may make exhibitions with it, so its an artwork.

so well, I'm not here to make a huge discussion about recast or not. if this want to be seen as a recast, and brake the forum rules, they can tell me and ill close this thread. i just want show something new and maybe interesting here. depends on what u see in it:)

well, here some updates… interior molds are finished. tomorrow ill start making the wax originals.
IMG_9661.JPG

IMG_9662.JPG

IMG_9663.JPG

IMG_9664.JPG

IMG_9667.JPG

Last edited:

You're doing a very cool work with this project! It'd be a shame (for me) to not be able to wear it at the end, due the neck ring.
have you checked the MR 1:1,45 scale helmets? They have a detailed interior in case you're looking for some inspiration.

So you can't recast this but a MR fett recast is acceptable as long as enough people want to buy it? last time i was on the dented helmet, recast MR fett helmets were all the rage. nothing was said about it. i even contacted the main "recaster" and he never replied. maybe he didn't know how to.

the company is no longer in business and from memory from this very forum, it was now fair game.

If the company is no longer in operation then you are probably OK.. maybe... But you are only making one of these for yourself right?
Who made the original?

no one produces phase 2 clone helmets with a license i think, the only one who did, was MR. the helmet i bought was from someone on ebay. and, yes, i just do it for my own. there will be just 3 helmets in different versions.

well, i ve seen the scaled versions, and as i said I'm not so happy with the interior. i know they are based on the official stormtrooper interior as you can see in several books, but thats the same problem. imo the contrast between the well shaped design of such helmets and the "just put some stuff into it" look of the interiors is too big. so i want to make a more logical, and comfortable look iside. between the hard parts, there will be also a completed soft padding inside. and of course, w ll be able to wear it:) but you are right, the necking makes it really hard for the most people. i m luck my head is small enough to fit in:)

Very cool project, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with it.

thank you, i hope anything will work out like i plan too. here are some updates: first wax helmet is done. so every thing out of wax will be change to aluminum after burning out the wax of the casting molds.

at first here are the parts for the interior. the stainless screws will hold the nuts (now into the wax balls, so they will be cast into the aluminum) and will be replaced with shorter ones after casting. down left you can see the headphone parts, one already with a speaker inside.
IMG_9697.JPG

next image show the silicone mold with the brushed in wax.
IMG_9700.JPG

and here the glued in nuts
IMG_9704.JPG

and the parts into it, just a test for fitting.
IMG_9702.JPG

IMG_9703.JPG

same procedure with the front part. the little displays are fitting pretty well now.
IMG_9709.JPG

IMG_9710.JPG

IMG_9714.JPG

and finally, after putting the two molds together the completed helmet. looks not bad at all. now i ll have to clean everything up and fill any little bubble in the wax. than cut out the mictips for the speakers and drill 2 little holes in the "ears" for the microphones. than its finished and ready for the casting system and to form it in.

Last edited:

Amazing idea ! Have had thoughts of something like this but no skills ! Can't wait to see more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is no a recast. It is a new creation. ;)
There are not so many prop builder who attach a ring. I know only EVO3.
Very impressive work.
I am looking forward to the end result.

This is amazing work, really well done. I can't wait to see how you finish this off.

recast. not sure why this thread hasn't been deleted or the OP banned?

what at a lame comment, this is a totally custom creation and a work of art. It's absurd how some people can't tell the difference between a recast some slimeball does to make a quick buck and a true artisan who creates a whole new and custom one-off helmet for their own collection. It seems like some people just can't wait to cry recast...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back