Aluminum cast Clone Trooper Helmet

Re: Aluminium cast Clone Trooper Helmet

Hallo mugatu,

I don't really know if there is any other name for it, because normally I just handle with the german terms. I just used to find a correct name by searching for the technique at wikipedia and than switched to the english side, which is this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost-wax_casting I didn't read it on english yet, but maybe you can find something there. As far as I know, the wax is just called wax and thats what it is of course. Do you want to cast something? In fact, there are many types of wax you can get. the most important thing is, that it can be burned out very well, but for a foundry its also important to have special physical characteristics, such as you can connect it well, it shrinks less or its harder. candle wax is also possible, but its not so good to work with, cause there is a lot of paraphine in it and its hard to sculpt and difficult to connect parts to each other. In the foundry I ve been working, we use one layer to brush it into the negative form, meaning the wax you can see from the outside ( the green or purple one) and one layer which is cast into the negative form and than out, so you get a regular layer thickness. this is the brown/ red one which is also much harder to give the sculpt more stability. the green one is softer so you can retouch it well and it also shrinks less. I hope that helps a little bit, and its what you were asking for.

alienbuilder, thank you. That is pretty much what I had figured. I have no idea why it has been so difficult to find the wax. Maybe since there are so many types I have looked deep enough into specific types of the wax.
I am not close to casting anything yet, but your build here has really inspired me and has gotten my brain working overtime thinking of possible projects. Your work is amazing and as difficult as I know it truly is to do these things, you have made it look easy and your results are obviously outstanding.

Thank you too, mugatu,

well, I could figure out the company that produce our wax, but its a german company so it may be easier to find a similar product in the USA. It depends on what your project will be like. If you want do sculpt something, you can also use beeswax or normally you can find a pretty soft sculpting wax in an artist store. When the time has come, you want to cast something and you ve got any questions, I ll try to help.
Maybe I ll start another tread here too depending my alien sculpture I did some years ago to see the process in a more classic way.

alienbuilder,
Thank you for offering your expertise. I will definitely contact you once I begin. Don't worry about digging up any other info on the wax. I will find it. But I will definitely have many questions for you in the near future!

here s just a little update, I ve finished the 501st paint job today. this is also not 100% screen accurate but its just like I wanted it. Im still busy with the PUR helmet so it might needs some time until I ll start the interior but an end is near now…

IMG_0175 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0178 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0181 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0182 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0183 Kopie.JPG

Last edited:

Phenomenal. The 501st is equally impressive to Gree and the Shocktrooper.

thanks again!

Today I ve got stands for the helmets. not expansive but they are looking good. maybe I ll just sand them a little and than repaint them. For the shock trooper I ll build a stand by my own later. I got a nice acrylic glass display from the museum I m working for at the moment and the stand will have to fit for this.
As you can see I ve started weathering a little bit the free helmet. Just a few rusty scratches at the back, but I m satisfied. I ll add some flecks of rust too later but the weathering on this helmet will be not too heavy.

IMG_0187 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0189 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0190 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0191 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0194 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0196 Kopie.JPG

Last edited:

Beautiful paint job and beautiful helmets. A must for any serious collector:cool

Hello,

heres a little update, even if i had not so much time tough, the 501st helmet is almost done now. just the interior ears will be added tomorrow maybe. here are some not so good pictures:
IMG_0282 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0283 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0285 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0287 Kopie.JPG

and some pictures of the other 2 with the visors just clipped in to see how it looks like.

IMG_0288 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0289 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0290 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0291 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0292 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0293 Kopie.JPG

Last edited:

Einfach nur großartig die Helme.
Man sitzt vor dem Rechner und hat eine Maulsperre. Großartig.
Sogar noch eine Innenposterung. Warst Du beim Polsterer?

Outstanding work.

Einfach nur großartig die Helme.
Man sitzt vor dem Rechner und hat eine Maulsperre. Großartig.
Sogar noch eine Innenposterung. Warst Du beim Polsterer?

Outstanding work.

thank you,

danke Euch. beim Polsterer war ich nicht, nähe immer mal wieder ein paar Sachen, daher hab ich das allein hinbekommen. habe allerdings anfangs eine wesentlich dickere Schicht vorgesehen gehabe, mit schaumstofflagen. jetzt ist es eigentlich nur dieses airmesh geworden, sonst würde da niemand mehr reinpassen. gefällt mir aber eigentlich ganz gut. mal sehen wie die anderen polster werden.

here some better pictures. for me its fine, but i have to commit, its a little bit overkill. everything is reflecting, you can't really see the sculptural quality of the helmet.
IMG_0296 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0298 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0299 Kopie.JPG

IMG_0301 Kopie.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back