Subscribe
    From
    Canada
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 12:28 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #551

Kylo1 said: View Post
    I have read that Roys clamp cover does fit well with Romans clamp and now reading that it doesn't! I have just ordered a clamp from Roman so am wondering which comment is true
    I think that depends on which clamp you have. "Roman's clamp" isn't a single clamp. I know of at least 3, not including logo-less and chrome, but have no idea how they differ in fitment WRT the covers.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 12:40 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #552

It can be tricky. Roman had clamps in the past, he's had pre ordered clamps (shiny ones) and now clamps that come with the graflex

I have a collected almost every version. I only need to test it on one more but this is what I came up with

Roys cover fits a vintage flawless

Romans pre order clamp, the square holes line up perfect. The long oval needs some filing. Here's a picture for example

Again this isn't the end of the world to me, unlike many other people flipping out over stuff. A simple rat tail file on romans clamp and you would never know the difference

What I need to figure out is how to make it tighter. It seems the pre order clamp is a little smaller in diameter

I filed the section on the fold of the clamp cover where the lever screws through to try and make it fight tighter but no luck... next weekend I'm going to cut the fold Tabs off and try some kind of bonding material (e6000, epoxy something) to glue the cover to the clamp

Again this isn't me knocking anyone's product, to me it's not a big deal. And I think many members forget that there's some elbow grease you have to put into replica making. It's not all "plug and play"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 12:41 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #553

Pixelpiper said: View Post
    I think that depends on which clamp you have. "Roman's clamp" isn't a single clamp. I know of at least 3, not including logo-less and chrome, but have no idea how they differ in fitment WRT the covers.
    I ordered a logo standard clamp I believe. I'll check on the fit when the clamp arrives and update here
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 12:53 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #554

halliwax said: View Post
    It can be tricky. Roman had clamps in the past, he's had pre ordered clamps (shiny ones) and now clamps that come with the graflex

I have a collected almost every version. I only need to test it on one more but this is what I came up with

Roys cover fits a vintage flawless

Romans pre order clamp, the square holes line up perfect. The long oval needs some filing. Here's a picture for example

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...f90c86248a.jpg

Again this isn't the end of the world to me, unlike many other people flipping out over stuff. A simple rat tail file on romans clamp and you would never know the difference

What I need to figure out is how to make it tighter. It seems the pre order clamp is a little smaller in diameter
    http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...5f96b21b1c.jpg

I filed the section on the fold of the clamp cover where the lever screws through to try and make it fight tighter but no luck... next weekend I'm going to cut the fold Tabs off and try some kind of bonding material (e6000, epoxy something) to glue the cover to the clamp

Again this isn't me knocking anyone's product, to me it's not a big deal. And I think many members forget that there's some elbow grease you have to put into replica making. It's not all "plug and play"

Thanks for the info Halliwax. I will check when it arrives and try to adjust the cover if necessary
  5. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 1:12 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #555

@halliwax thanks for your help on this info. I will verify myself as well. I also have Roman's older clamp from his OB1 saber. I'll check that one too.
  6. RPF Premium Member Foe Hammer's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 1:37 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #556

I put my clamp cover from Roy on my new Roman Graflex the other day. All of the holes lined up perfectly for me including the slot with rounded ends. There was very slight bulging on the sides, similar to Halliwax's picture above, but not quite as pronounced as his. Not enough to notice when assembled.
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 2:26 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #557

Not that anyone cares, but on a custom saber I put one of Roy's covers over a shapeways-printed acrylic clamp repro and it worked fine.
    From
    Madison, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 2:44 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #558

Still cant decide if I like the stamped or cut lines better on the cover. I like the look of the cutouts, but even when tight, you can kind of pull and bend the lines around when on the clamp because theyre so thin. I would think the screen used one would have a few of those bent from so much use, unless it was glued down really good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9774.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	696992

But then how do you get those thin lines glued down without excess coming out from the cut grooves. Even double sided tape would eventually get gunked up in the exposed grooves.
    Last edited by Kylash; 1 Week Ago at 3:06 PM.
  9. RPF Premium Member Foe Hammer's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 2:47 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #559

I have Roy's debossed clamp cover from his first run and I thought I would prefer the cut style, but now that I have the debossed one on my RE flash I REALLY like it.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 5:05 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #560

I also wanted to say I tested Roys cover on a larbel graflex and it fits pretty good

Also I think it roys color matches perfectly

i think the color of the clamp matches perfectly
  11. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 5:32 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #561

In that screen pic the fasteners are rivets WITHOUT A DOUBT!
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 6:10 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #562

roygilsing said: View Post
    In that screen pic the fasteners are rivets WITHOUT A DOUBT!
    Pfft. Whatever. Those are thumbtacks.
    From
    Orlando
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 12:20 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #563

I tried to cover all the bases.
    Picked up both versions of Roys covers.
    If worse comes to worse ive got a roman clamp without the graflex logo.
    From
    Orlando
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 12:25 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #564

Could the problem be that some people are bending the tab at slightly the wrong spot?

Im guessing if the tab is bent slightly too high it will not fit tightly.

I would suggest using something flat to brace the tab while bending it.
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 2:23 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #565

DARTH SABER said: View Post
    Could the problem be that some people are bending the tab at slightly the wrong spot?

That's exactly what I was thinking Darth Saber
  16. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 9:48 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #566

From Roman's Graflex thread:

In case my new steel shroud turns out nicely maybe my 3D model can be used. Like you said, it's slightly modified to match the real prop. Maybe I can even supply Roman with my cast parts if he wants!
    Roy, when do you expect to have the first batch of steel shrouds?
  17. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 10:09 AM - Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #567

Spyhunter2k said: View Post
    From Roman's Graflex thread:

Roy, when do you expect to have the first batch of steel shrouds?
    I don't have a date yet, but I think soon. But I will also have to think of a smart shipping system to US customers.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 10:34 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #568

I don't have a date yet, but I think soon. But I will also have to think of a smart shipping system to US customers.
    We had a few volunteers from a few pages back willing to handle the re-shipping:

James Kenobi 1138 said: View Post
    Maybe Roy could ship a whole batch, like 2 or 3 dozen shrouds, all at once to someone stateside to ship them out as a proxy when one gets purchased instead of shipping them one at a time.
    Yes, I've been thinking about this. First I need to find someone who wants to be responsible for that. But since shipping will then be limited to the States, I won't offer them worldwide. Selling them from the junkyard is perhaps the best option then. Unless that person is willing to ship internationally. And I would have to arrange the painting to be done as well, like @scottjua offered, unless I skip the wrinkle coating altogether.

Roy
    scottjua said: View Post
    I could do in batches
    tomm1999 said: View Post
    i will be the proxy, or whatever else you may need. If Scott cant do it, is the wrinkle paint people used on the DEC Droid Caller a got match for these? I don't want to offend whomever painted them before but a Roy designed shroud with a Scott paint job would be amazing

BTW, got my ESB kit, its awesome!
    mugatu said: View Post
    Roy, if scottjua or tomm1999 don't work out, I'd do it for you.
    I'll throw my hat into the ring as well. I'm back in the States for a few months, and could handle it. Or to make it more manageable for us, you could break it up and let one person handle the first batch of 10 or so, another person the second, etc.

But you do have several volunteers who are willing to help so that these awesome shrouds can once again become available.

And I believe I speak for all in saying we'd be perfectly happy with uncoated shrouds.

Also, if it is preferable for me to just buy a batch from you outright, and then me handle subsequent individual payments, I think I could accommodate a batch size of about 15 to start. The USA proxy will have to be able to deal with individual payments anyway to cover the re-shipping costs...
    From
    Madison, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 10:50 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #569

DARTH SABER said: View Post

It bends in a very precise spot because of the design, I dont think you could bend it too high or too low if you tried.
  20. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 11:20 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #570

Roy, I use Shippo to ship things internationally for my side business. It's an app through Shopify so it might not be available outside of that platform but it auto fills the customs forms for me. There might be something similar out there to ease the pain of shipping hundreds of shrouds to us cretins.

21. RPF Premium Member Foe Hammer's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 11:34 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #571

Kylash said: View Post
    It bends in a very precise spot because of the design, I dont think you could bend it too high or too low if you tried.
    Not to mention if you were to bend it any lower it wouldn't fit properly under the sidebars. Roy engineered this very well. I think the very slight bulging is from the fact that the stainless steel has some memory to it and wants to straighten out. That and there is undoubtedly some variation from one clamp to another. Some clamp covers may bulge slightly more than others, some less or not at all.

It could also be a result of the pressed grooves (on the pressed groove version, obviously) creating some resistance and forcing the sides to bulge just a smidge. I wonder if the laser cut version has the same effect.
    From
    Madison, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 11:43 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #572

I;m using the laser cut one and yes, I can press on the sides and make the middle bulge a bit.
  23. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 3:18 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #573

Spyhunter2k said: View Post
    We had a few volunteers from a few pages back willing to handle the re-shipping:

I'll throw my hat into the ring as well. I'm back in the States for a few months, and could handle it. Or to make it more manageable for us, you could break it up and let one person handle the first batch of 10 or so, another person the second, etc.

But you do have several volunteers who are willing to help so that these awesome shrouds can once again become available.

And I believe I speak for all in saying we'd be perfectly happy with uncoated shrouds.

Also, if it is preferable for me to just buy a batch from you outright, and then me handle subsequent individual payments, I think I could accommodate a batch size of about 15 to start. The USA proxy will have to be able to deal with individual payments anyway to cover the re-shipping costs...
    Thanks @Spyhunter2k for this list and for offering your help.
    I will soon come up with a plan and send some PMs.
  24. A cunning T-800 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 1:58 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #574

My naked MPP will appreciate that
    From
    Madison, WI
    3 Days Ago  Jan 18, 2017, 2:22 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #575

FYI, a few strips of double sided tape inside the clamp cover really helps keep it down and without gaps. I also cut one end a little shorter after the tab broke off, and that seems to have helped as well. It also doesn't bulge when squeezed now.

Cut grooves cover on Romans full flash version clamp
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9872.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	699498
    Last edited by Kylash; 3 Days Ago at 3:00 PM.