Finishing my Star Lord helmet :)

My wife: 'what do you want for christmas'
me: 'I've already chosen your gift for me...' So thank you...

Did you buff n rub all of those small pieces with your fingers? That's pretty extreme finger-painting! I've been testing the product and while I really like it, it seems to go places I don't necessarily want - also when I shoot it with crystal clear it dulls out... Any suggestions?

I think he used those small disposable make-up applicators? Send him a PM

My wife: 'what do you want for christmas'
me: 'I've already chosen your gift for me...' So thank you...

Did you buff n rub all of those small pieces with your fingers? That's pretty extreme finger-painting! I've been testing the product and while I really like it, it seems to go places I don't necessarily want - also when I shoot it with crystal clear it dulls out... Any suggestions?

Has anyone collected good reference photos of this helmet? Google image search is an option but if the work has been done...

And now you will want to check over the helmet to make sure the silver is all good and shiny and all the inks are dry then use a clear coat, a few light coats.. I used a satin finish so its not a super shiny helmet. Add some magnets and foam..elastic strap and you good to go :) Easy :)

View attachment 400159

Hey, can you clue us in on what you used for your clear coat and what magnets you recommend and how to place them in the piece? And did you have any trouble coating the RnB with the clear coat? I've heard it can be problematic since it's a different substance than spray enamel.

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
I use a automtive satin clear mixed with reducer and sprayed through my hvlp gun. Magnets I just use 1/4" earth magnets, drill a 1/4" hole..which will probably only leave 1/2 a hole in the piece..then epoxy them in place. And nope no problems.
Hey, can you clue us in on what you used for your clear coat and what magnets you recommend and how to place them in the piece? And did you have any trouble coating the RnB with the clear coat? I've heard it can be problematic since it's a different substance than spray enamel.

Much appreciated!

Thanks General :)
If anyone is ever on the fence about getting one of these kits, you'll be getting a superior quality kit. Hands down the best.
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/jimmy2step/20150224_134831_zpsmbt8acsf.jpg

Curtis the Krylon gold paint you used, can you confirm if this is the same? Trying to put together my shopping list for when I get my helmet :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429102833.426980.jpg

Curtis the Krylon gold paint you used, can you confirm if this is the same? Trying to put together my shopping list for when I get my helmet :)View attachment 464693

Looks similar, but I don't think mine says shimmer metallic. But I'll let Curtis weight in. I got my gold at Walmart...

- - - Updated - - -

Curtis the Krylon gold paint you used, can you confirm if this is the same? Trying to put together my shopping list for when I get my helmet :)View attachment 464693

Looks similar, but I don't think mine says shimmer metallic. But I'll let Curtis weight in. I got my gold at Walmart...

Here's my helmet with my outfit, I still need to install the leds but I'm happy with it. Thanks to TheRocketeer and rgriesbeck for offering this up.
Star Lord.jpg

Yes, however this is easily fixed by applying heat while a wooden rod or block gently pushes the inside walls out to match up with the back.
Do you suggest a heat gun? I have 2 of these casts to finish and want to do it right haha they're to beautiful to mess up!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back