First Completed Project! Ood from Doctor Who

Zeddloger

Hey there RPF, wanted to share my first completed project, an Ood mask from Doctor Who.

First time sculpting, so I just started adding clay, hoping I could turn it into something.
ood1.jpg
After some time I refined the sculpt till I was happy and started the scary part.... molding.
ood2.jpg
Luckily the mold was a success, on to latex!
ood3.jpgood4.jpg
I used gauze to reinforce the latex and ended up with a hefty hunk of ood-shaped rubber.
ood5.jpg
But what good is an Ood without tentacles? After some head-scratching, I decided to roll some clay into tentacles, dip them in latex, wrap gauze around them for structure, then give them one more coat of brushed on latex to add texture. After they were dry, I removed the clay and was left with hollow, tentacle-shaped pieces of latex. Woohoo!
ood6.jpg
Next I cut out the "mouth" area and used latex to secure a piece of mesh in its place. This made attaching the tentacles a breeze, while also providing great ventilation.ood7.jpg
The tentacles are stuffed with cotton for a nice meaty texture, and secured to the mesh with latex.
ood8.jpg
With all of the tentacles installed, seams cleaned, and eyes cut out, it was time for paint.
ood9.jpg
Having never painted anything like this before, the task seemed quite daunting at first. I finally took the plunge and just went for it.
ood10.jpg
I used thinned down rubber cement with oil paint to base it out, then used an airbrush to flesh out the skin tones. After a lot of trial and error, I started to get the hang of the airbrush and ended up with this.
ood11.jpg
Finished product ready in time for Halloween! For the eyes I used plastic Easter eggs that I cut to size and painted. After the painting was done I used a gloss sealer for the tentacles and eyes, giving them a nice slimy look.
ood12.jpg
Well, that's all for now. In the end I am very happy with the outcome, although there are a few minor details to be added (lights in eyes, spots on neck, better light-ball...) later on. This was a great learning experience with a satisfying outcome, so I couldn't be happier. Anyway, thanks for reading this ridiculously long post, and feel free to lemme know what you think!
ood13.jpg

Wow, truly awesome work mate. First time sculpting, now that's impressive! I no longer watch Dr Who, Matt Smith didn't do it for me so haven't got back into it, but i certainly know what an Ood is.

Again....Fantastic.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back