Studio Scale Y-wing

Dedalus5550

Sr Member
There's a studio scale Y-wing on ebay. (I'm not sure if I can post links to ebay if it's not mine, but if I can and you need it let me know.) It's easy enough to find if you search for it. Does anyone know anything about it? Where it came from? Seems like it's something that people here might have talked about, but I can't find anything. The ebay description is vague.
Thanks,
Mike Todd

I have purchased and built this kit from Ray and I absolutely love it. In fact I recently purchased a second because I liked it so much. It comes in at 27 inches long which I believe is pretty close to the filming models. To be clear. Are all the details accurate to the original Y-wings? No. Ray does not claim it is either. "It is a nice representation." Ray said that most of his influence for this came from Gold Leader or Tie Killer. When you talk details about the filming Y-Wings it gets really tricky because no two were the same. Here are a couple of quick photos of mine compared to a blown up overhead shot of Gold Leader from Lorne Peterson's book. You be the judge:
20141102_072751.jpg20141102_072904.jpg

I did add my own detail to my liking on mine also. Ray's model came with 3/8 T-bars at 12 inches long. I actually went with 1/4 inch at 13 inches long which took a little extra work to fit in the pre-grooved notches on the engines. I also lit mine and added internal metal support tubes running through the hull and the wings, which I think is a must for any large resin model.
20141028_171030.jpg20141102_073312.jpg

Just to clear things up, it is listed under "studio scale" on eBay which is absolutely wrong, it is in no way studio scale.
If you're not picky regarding size and details, go for it, if you want something that actually looks like the filming models it would be worth it to save some more bucks and buy one of the Nice-N Y-wing.
It's up to you but be aware this is not a studio scale model.

Although it may not have all of the same parts it seems to be the same size. Since Studio scale refers to size, I think he pretty much got it right. Ive seen one of them in person and its a great model. Especially since no two y-wings are the same.

Just to clear things up, it is listed under "studio scale" on eBay which is absolutely wrong, it is in no way studio scale.
If you're not picky regarding size and details, go for it, if you want something that actually looks like the filming models it would be worth it to save some more bucks and buy one of the Nice-N Y-wing.
It's up to you but be aware this is not a studio scale model.
Actually, it is 100% studio scale. Last time I checked the term studio scale refers the size and scale of the the model as compared to the original studio model built for the movie. Not to be confused with studio accurate, which it is not. As listed "a nice representation', which it is. Pictures don't lie bro. I posted a photo of this model right next to the quote on quote "definitive" Y-Wing blown up to the models listed specified dimensions. Looks pretty nice to me.

That's where you are wrong my friends, for years "studio scale" has designed models that are the same size and has as much original kitparts as possible, unlike studio size models whatever says the stuck thread of this subforum.

I never said it was not a nice model, I said the listing is wrong.
You may find it very nice however this is not an accurate representation of the original filming model which does not mean the maker has not created a great looking Y-Wing.

Oh, and the comparison pic you've posted doesnt mean anything, it is well known that in this pic the cockpit is pointing down which makes it looks way smaller in comparison of the body than it is, a mistake done by Finemolds too.

I didn't want to start too much of a controversy. I was curious as I already own the Red Jammer (which I assume is what is meant by Nice-N), and always thought it was the only SS Y. (And I already understand the difference between the red and yellow Ys.) And yes, I am the kind who would be (mostly) fine if it looks the part without necessarily being accurate. I've posted before about this, but I'm getting out of the hobby since I've lost interest and sold most of my stash on ebay already. I made a point, though, of holding on to some things that may be unreplaceable in the future. Couldn't get what I wanted for the Red Jammer (not locally, anyway), so I decided to keep it, along with most of my Fine Molds SW stuff since they lost the license. (I've followed threads about the Bandai SW line, but not sold on it as superior to FM, and the subjects I really like aren't getting much on ebay, either. Makes it easy to hold on to them.)

Thanks,
Mike

That's where you are wrong my friends, for years "studio scale" has designed models that are the same size and has as much original kitparts as possible, unlike studio size models whatever says the stuck thread of this subforum.

I never said it was not a nice model, I said the listing is wrong.
You may find it very nice however this is not an accurate representation of the original filming model which does not mean the maker has not created a great looking Y-Wing.

Oh, and the comparison pic you've posted doesnt mean anything, it is well known that in this pic the cockpit is pointing down which makes it looks way smaller in comparison of the body than it is, a mistake done by Finemolds too.
Well we will just have to agree to disagree on the SS definition.

I may be fairly new to these forums, but that does not mean I'm new to modeling or am not an artist in my own right. But as a professional photographer for the last 15 years let me help you with your photo confusion. The cockpit is not pointing down in the photo. It is taken over head slightly to the rear of the ship. When taking into consideration distance from subject, focal length, lighting angles, depth of field, and camera angle you can clearly see it is not angled downward. Which just so happens to be the exact camera angle and focal length as the photo I took which would have the same effect as the original photo. Your point would only be valid if I did not duplicate the same variables myself. So yes, the photo I used does "mean something". Saying that it does not mean anything is like telling me the sun didn't come up today even though I'm looking at right now, which is basically what you are trying to tell us all about the photo comparison. In conclusion, this is what we here in America like to call a "WALK OFF"

Later

This Y looks fantastic! Definitely worthy of the term 'studio scale'. If it were 1/48 then it's not studio scale. Pretty self explanatory? Who cares if it's not 'studio accurate' as you guys have already explained no two were the same. I kinda wish you guys hadn't been talking about this model because I now feel more compelled to buy one now! Never gonna be able to save at this rate! I can't see a listing on eBay? I can see his old listings but no new re-listed ones.

Im not the most well informed when it comes to studio scale models but when I first saw this I immediately could see how un accurate it is to the filming models.
I have always taken this section as models that truly replicate the models from the screen but when I just re read the sticky on what this forum is about it is a bit vague as it does say matching size and scale.

It would be a bit disappointing to see this area become open slather and we get toys such as the Hasbro X-Wing and cardboard cut outs as long as there the same size.

To me it makes sense if it truly is not attempting to be accurate to the filming models it goes in the general modelling section.

A question on its accuracy similar to this one does belong here as the people that use this section can identify when a model is not accurate and save someone there hard earned cash or help them in the right direction if it is accuracy they are looking for.

Let's be honest with ourselves. The term Studio Scale was derived by people like us on these forums. I think it's a term that has evolved to mean what each individual perceives it to mean.

I truly am not trying to offend anyone, but if someone comes on here and says that it's totally not accurate you better come to the gun fight with ammunition telling us what's not accurate and which of the different studio models it's not true to, because I have yet to hear that. I have no invested interest in this model other than building one and talking to Ray about it on occasion.

If we use the thinking that it is not Studio Scale as it pertains to Y-Wings then we need to take the label off of anything that is different than the original Y-Wing. I do not believe it exists. So there is no such thing as a studio scale Y-Wing in existence according to the definitions being thrown around here. If someone takes a red jammer model that was being sold on here a few years ago and someone tries to make it look like Tie-Killer than it is no longer studio scale by the thinking being used on this thread. That's why we need to define SS as exactly what the words infer, the scale of the model as compared to the studio model.

My left foot is exactly the same size exactly to my right foot but its nowhere near a replica, its a completely different foot, to create an accurate replica of my right foot I would nee a Right Foot!!!!

My Left shoe is almost identical in size to my left foot but its not an accurate replica, lovely shoe though.

Size is a small factor in this section of our hobby land come slightly backward hang up type mirage of a once enjoyed backlot of a shed full of gold.!!!

Best of al this is about a kit thats for sale yes? And currently for sale, yes and nothing to do with studio scale yes, so why doe other more fitting threads get deleted is more important, like really accurate studio scale builds of snow speeders that may eventually lead to others building the same thing from a mans hard work and talents?

Mods?

STUDIO SCALE should be defined as being of the same dimensions as made by the production company's SPFX wizards with the use of some original parts or castings.

SCREEN ACCURATE should be an exact replica of a filming miniature as it was built using all the same parts (original or casts) or parts made to look like the originals.

If I recall Randy Cooper built a 32in Falcon in 30 days however the details were not accurate to the "real" 32in ship. Would this not qualify as Studio Scale or, because of the inaccurate details, disqualifies it from being considered SS?

This is just my opinion and I know there are more suitably qualified members, and far better modelers than I, who could comment with a greater perspective than I.

i look at it this way they're all just models good bad or indifferent!!! but this is a sub category of general modelling that's devoted to screen accurate detail "and" size. If just size matters then we could display anything of equal size and claim to be a replica. This doesn't take away the skill and love taken to build a general replica but it does lesson the years of research and time and patience of trying to recreate a true studio scale replica, none of this really matters!!! in life!!!

With the Randy cooper build it was just a fantastic model of the Millennium Falcon done amazingly well, was it studio scale then no not really it was just an accurate size. If we don't have the details then this hole section of a long standing forum has been pointless!!! Why have a sub category that has no point to it? For some of us building a studio scale replica is still a passion and hobby and love, so till that day ends then it should stay that way, otherwise is in general modelling ....which some automatically assume is looked down on... I wish I had 100th of the talent in that side of the forum....

When you dilute something it gets weaker, I like my scotch neat !!

I also like Port and Lemonade :)

I realized what this forum was about the first time I was on it.It's to build replica filming models as accurate as the real filming models,kit parts,size etc.Sorry but I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

Dave

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back