Studio Scale Y-wing

Studio models arent scratch built, WOW. I didnt know ILM went to the store to buy there props.

From what i can tell everything started out as a scratch built model, Then was molded and cast to make multiples examples.

And its funny how any time some one doesnt like something they bring up what have you done for the Hobby.

I dont do anything for SS models. except give advice to people on how to scratch build. we cant all buy kits. if i waited for kits to come out i wouldnt have any models, like half the SS guys

No you have to have original parts to glue to a hull, real model building has nothing to do with kits parts. There just there as detail parts

But you guys have fun with this. its funny to see you go back and forth.

I agree with Al , I'm not a model builder, I don't fabricate patterns , I don't take commissions, I'm still learning the basics , I can't use machines, I don't own them , I can't use computers to make detailed drawings , I can't claim to have reinvented old wheels with new materials, I can't even decide on what's the best glue to use cos I don't have enough experience to know so. I tell you this though I'll build slave 1 and if someone as un talented as me can do it then they must be gods cos I'm a hack for using kit parts to help me size the thing I'm creating !!

Thank god I'm not a god as I'm allergic to the arrogance that comes with the position...

Mortals rule :), and so dies sticky back plastic and learning, more things I'm proud to still have the opportunity to do .... Must be a mortal thing :)

Wow you've been researching and using the actual parts to create the Slave 1? (and doing an absolutely amazing job at doing so!) Yea you must be a hack!

I agree with Al , I'm not a model builder, I don't fabricate patterns , I don't take commissions, I'm still learning the basics , I can't use machines, I don't own them , I can't use computers to make detailed drawings , I can't claim to have reinvented old wheels with new materials, I can't even decide on what's the best glue to use cos I don't have enough experience to know so. I tell you this though I'll build slave 1 and if someone as un talented as me can do it then they must be gods cos I'm a hack for using kit parts to help me size the thing I'm creating !!

Thank god I'm not a god as I'm allergic to the arrogance that comes with the position...

Mortals rule :), and so dies sticky back plastic and learning, more things I'm proud to still have the opportunity to do .... Must be a mortal thing :)

I truly am though, I don't possess a 10th of the skills that the greats do in any field if anything but I don't see why I should come to a forum that's dedicated towards my chosen hobby and be subjected to the truth cos I get that at home from my daughters teddy bares all the time !!!

At the end of the day I love what I do and I want to get better and better at it. It just so happens that one of my tools is kit parts, sadly for me 90 % of what I'm currently working on doesn't come from a tamiya model or similar it's scratch built at home or in some other place that has things I don't possess, so I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that that 90 % is worthless as a model builder as it's clearly cancelled out by the other 10%.

A bit like Eric's sand crawler
A bit like moes B wing
A bit like Lees At-st
A bit like Juliens Star destroyer
A bit like the nice n Y wing
A bit like Mikes X wing
A bit like Gorts snow speeder
A bit like Robs Cloud car
A bit like phils Falcon
A bit like all the Galacticas
A but like the Rolandos Probe Droid

What a list of pretty shoddy model building hacks !!!

Oh and Neil ellis is not included in this list as he is actually a model builder but does do studio scale modelling so this is far too confusing for me and made the hole thing fall apart in my mind as can there be such thing as both in one person, Only neil can know this and if he lives in constant turmoil over his trade and hobby!!!!

The poor BAST****

And I know I only mentioned Julien Once, didn't want to seem biassed :)

Last edited:
Wow, I wish that I would have known all this before I went and spent thousands on the same donors kits used to build the actual filming models. Now I feel stupid.;)

Studio models arent scratch built, WOW. I didnt know ILM went to the store to buy there props.

From what i can tell everything started out as a scratch built model, Then was molded and cast to make multiples examples.

And its funny how any time some one doesnt like something they bring up what have you done for the Hobby.

I dont do anything for SS models. except give advice to people on how to scratch build. we cant all buy kits. if i waited for kits to come out i wouldnt have any models, like half the SS guys

Al, its pretty obvious that Jamie was referring to not scratch built kit parts, and not referring to the model as a whole!!!

It seems that you just want to have a pop? Why wouldn't someone react to someone having a pop at them? Regarding the half of the studio scale guys that do have models that are replicas of the Scratch built studio models that you mentioned, especially the ones that scratch built their own do they not have validation as model builders like yourself?

I just wish that using kit parts wasn't such a bad thing for you to accept as a tool as that is all it is, an aid and a tool in a specific hobby thats dedicated to the art of using these tools to reach an end goal. I'm not sure why that would warrant having a pop at anyone... its odd to me to think like that

Some more...

Escape pod..(Rolando/Nice-n)
Snowspeeder (Nice-n)
Shuttle Tyderium (Nice-n)
Tie Intercepter (Nice-n)
MR Training Remote (Frank)
MR Falcon (Frank/Moe)
EFX Tie (bunch of us)
EFX Y-wing Gold Leader (Bunch of us)
EFX ISD (Bunch of us)

Yep... Bunch of hacks who don't have a clue...

I have to add that MANY individuals have worked and continue to work to bring these models to life. They are dedicated,talented, hard working individuals, and great people.

i understand you guys are doing more than whats in the def......so ask them to change it.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they can leave this one here for the wack azz SS builders like me .......LOL
I got plenty of bastardized cobbled bits of plastic to fill the halls when yall leave......LOL
Until then I love you guys .......I really do!! LOL

You just want your own forum don't ya Mike LOL

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back