Iron Man Mk III - HUD, Voice Commands, Lights, Sounds, and Moving Parts - With Videos

Toolbox Armory

Hello everyone.[/B]
I've been a lurker here for a long time and I started building suits around 3-4 years ago, I've built quite a few suits and props over the years and now I'd like to start sharing them with the community. There are pics of most of my work in my signature.

I am an Electrical Engineering major and I will be graduating this semester. This Iron Man suit was my team's capstone senior design project and as such has a lot of extra features that I'm excited to show everyone.

Here's a list of all the extra features that have been included in this build:
• Camera/Microphone mounted in the chin
• Heads-Up Display inside faceplate with Time, Temperature, and Battery-Life Readout
• 3 Vision Modes; Normal, Heat, and Night (Not actual heat/night vision)
• Moving Pieces: Faceplate and Jaw, Forearm Missile Pod, Flight Stabilizers on the Back
• Lighting effects: Eyes with Flicker Effect, Unibeam and Palm Repulsor Light and Sound Effects
• Mp3 Playback (Iron Man, Back in Black, etc.)
• Controls: Hidden Buttons, Wireless Remote Control Pad
• Voice Commands with Jarvis Audio Responses to User Commands/Inquiries
• Built-in Wi-fi with Google and Wolfram Alpha Integration (for Siri style voice interaction)
• Around 6 hours of Battery Life

Here is a video going over the build process and the features of the suit:
(note this is aimed at people who are unfamiliar with the general build process)

Here is a time-lapse of the entire build:

Here is video going over the electronics involved in the build:

This suit was constructed by me for the YouTuber SlyFoxHound and you can see a short video of him trying it on for the first time here:

The Pep files I used for this build:
(I have a certain way I like to construct the cardstock portion so I edited these files a little for my own use)
http://www.therpf.com/f78/dancinfools-iron-man-mark-iii-pep-files-new-chest-started-101543/

http://www.therpf.com/f78/zabana-s-iron-man-wip-boots-finished-page-13-new-leg-page-14-a-76175/

The Team involved in the creation of the electronics/software used for this build:
Trevor Greer - Controls/User Input, Integration, Suit Construction
Elijah Rockers - Video Processing, HUD Design
Travis Kirk - Power Allocation, Custom PCB Design
Corbin Vader - Audio Processing, Voice Command Implementation
All members helped with some of the construction
Special thanks to Zachary Greer for miscellaneous help and assistance

Some pics of the suit:
_MG_3622.jpg_MG_3641.jpg_MG_3590.jpg
_MG_3588.jpg_MG_3745.jpg_MG_3815.jpg
Palm.jpegArm.jpeg_MG_3503.jpgBack.jpeg_MG_3520.jpg_MG_3343.jpg

A few pics from the build process:
(Lots more in the time-lapse video above)
Cardstock.jpgIMG_1053.JPGIMG_1054.JPG
Fiberglass.jpgBody Filler.jpg

I have also attached the user manual that I sent Sly so people here can look through it and see how the suit is operated.

Special thanks to RPF members Stealth and XRobots for inspiration and to Dancin_Fool and Zabana for their Pep files.

So that's pretty much it for this suit, I have a lot more projects planned for the future that I hope to share with you guys!
Please let me know what you think!

Arm.jpeg

Palm.jpeg

Back.jpeg

_MG_3520.jpg

_MG_3622.jpg

_MG_3745.jpg

_MG_3815.jpg

Cardstock.jpg

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

Fiberglass.jpg

_MG_3590.jpg

_MG_3343.jpg

_MG_3641.jpg

_MG_3588.jpg

_MG_3503.jpg

Body Filler.jpg

Attachments

• Iron Man User Manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 981
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Iron Man Mk III - HUD, Voice Commands, Lights, Sounds, and Moving Parts - With Vi

W
O
W
!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for sharing this. The work you all did is amazing!

I have to ask, what were the total man-hours you and your team put into creating the suit?

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mk III - HUD, Voice Commands, Lights, Sounds, and Moving Parts - With Vi

I have to ask, what were the total man-hours you and your team put into creating the suit?
I don't have the exact numbers unfortunately, but if I had to guess I would say well into the hundreds of hours. Probably somewhere around 400-500 hours as a rough estimate, but it could be a lot more or it could be a lot less. Thanks for the kind words!

Now thats how you build a suit!! Way to go man :)

Thanks Man! It was a lot of work and I'm really happy with the way it turned out!
Looking forward to sharing future projects with everyone here!

Woooaww very impresive man ! :eek
How do you make the HUD system ? With the camera in time ?

The best I've seen in here so far Do you take orders? I'm in the market for just a helmet with motor and hinges, nothing else

W
O
W

!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for sharing this. The work you all did is amazing!

Can you teach me how to make iron man
I really want to make iron man for real

wow really appreciate your work!
can u also post a link for the software, electronics, programs.. in a zip format!
I wanna try making one :)
Thanks!

Last edited:

wow, really appreciate your work!
can u also post a link of step by step instructions for electronics, software and programs...etc.!
Thanks! :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back