Customized fallout shelter sign

Wes R

Legendary Member
I want to have one wall of my room a post apocalyptic game wall and saw this repro sign (not fancy) and got them as i can't justify ruining a vintage real fallout shelter sign. I figured it'd be a reference only fans of the series would get for the most part. It isn't nearly as good as the digital mockup is, i couldn't get the font to print out the size i needed as even at the largest it was way too small. But it now has a more rushed/messy look like a real one probably would. I may touch it up and add some details, i want to find a way to make the paint look old and warn a bit more. I have another sign that hasn't been modified for later or just to keep normal.
The mockup

the real deal

Very cool, now you just need to find some vaultech stuff, maybe some nuka cola bottles as well :)

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

I'll get there eventually, sad thing is i had a ton of fallout stuff i got rid of, but this room needs a lot of work before i clutter it up more lol

I have a real fallout shelter sign that cost me something like $15 a couple of decades ago. They were plentiful in surplus outlets then, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about ruining a real one. If you want a more realistic look, the finish needs to be right: all the black is dead flat, and all the yellow/orange is reflective (by addition of tiny glass beads) - except for some Department of Defense fine print at the bottom in non-reflective yellow, which yours doesn't have. Also, all of the reflective yellow areas have an "outlined" look to them, because the paint had to be somewhat transparent for the glass bead reflective additive to work, so the black shows through at the edges where the yellow overlaps the black, making the yellow a bit darker and grayer. This outline effect is fairly consistent at about 1/16 inch wide everywhere on most signs, but the two colors might be less well-aligned on some.

Something I don't have (and that is much harder to find) is the stickers that you almost never see -- numbers to put in the "CAPACITY" circle, for how many people a given shelter could safely hold, and arrows to put in the black band at the bottom to point the way to the shelter entrance. The stickers were also reflective and color-matched to the yellow of the sign.

FalloutShelterSignInterior10x14.jpg FalloutShelterOverlays.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah i was looking at the capacity stickers too. I actually had a vintage one that i gave my buddy as a gift along with a complete civil defense geiger kit. I'm keeping my eye out for an affordable real on on youtube, the prices seem to go up and down. Oddly enough a few buildings in the area still have their original signs up.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back