Graflex Questions

l33tLX

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been doing some serious research lately on the different versions of graflex hilts used throughout the OT films. The recent thread on the different variations of 3-cell units got me all hot and bothered again about all the nitty gritty details of lukes graflexes in anh, esb, the ranch saber, the MoM rotj vader, and the various stunts. I have come up with a few new theories but I need some serious help on a particular set of photos that I haven't found any info on.

In these photos Mark is holding what appears to be what is referred to as the Skywalker Ranch saber, but this looks like a shoot for anh. I'm seeing 1 red button in lens socket, 1" textured tape, by the position of the clamp lever it apperars to have already been broken and repaired like all the current pics of the ranch saber, looks like 6 grips with notches and screws, and a kobold d-ring

Does anybody know when these photos were taken? Is it possible that this saber was created back pre or post shooting anh and survived esb and rotj production never having been on screen, maybe even being what the prop makers went off of when creating esb sabers for luke?

Attachments

• Luke-Skywalker-Lightsaber.jpg
    Luke-Skywalker-Lightsaber.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 189
  • LukeANHD-Ring01.jpg
    LukeANHD-Ring01.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 190
Hi,

yeah these pictures are strange. Had the same problem with them as you have ;)
I think it were post ESB shots maybe post OT shots.
There are no bubbles on the clamp either. So it seems to be the ESB saber. When I look into Mark's face I think it could be a shot some time after his car accident.

Those photos were taken after ANH in California before the Star Wars Holiday Special was filmed.

Mark is not holding a Graflex saber. He was holding the Holiday Special saber made from a Graflite Graflex.

A few years ago ILM photoshopped the top of the Skywalker Ranch saber into the photos and now it's the basis for a lot of the Luke Skywalker promotion and merchandise images.

Those photos were taken after ANH in California before the Star Wars Holiday Special was filmed.

Mark is not holding a Graflex saber. He was holding the Holiday Special saber made from a Graflite Graflex.

A few years ago ILM photoshopped the top of the Skywalker Ranch saber into the photos and now it's the basis for a lot of the Luke Skywalker promotion and merchandise images.

thank you for the info, that explains exactly what i needed to know. i thought the way the hilt is lit vs the rest of the pictures looked suspicious

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back