Hobbit Sword

JosephKerr

Hello all,

I'm making a hobbit outfit for myself, my wife, and our 7 mo. son. We bought a wooden sword and I'm painting it but I could use a little help.

I painted the hilt a hammered copper and plan on wrapping black faux leather around the handle.

I'm a little stuck on how to paint the blade to appear more like metal.

My brother, a professional house painter, said he wouldn't recommend a chrome metallic I bought. Any help or suggestions on this front would be awesome!

Thanks for your time,

- Joseph.
IMG_20141027_144517659 (640x360).jpgIMG_20141029_242740014_HDR (360x640).jpg

Edited: Made some changes to my text.

Last edited:
chrome spray paint's have never worked well for me. I get a better result with metallic silver. but there are far more experienced people here that have achieved much better results. I just can't remember any of the threads at the moment that would help. look around a bit for gun builds and stuff and that may help.

Would you happen to have any examples of projects that didn't pan out with the chrome?

I also got a clear satin that I thought I could apply over the chrome to "dull" it. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks for your help, btw.

Sorry no examples of bad chrome job's. but no body like's the rattle can chrome paint's.they just don't work well. and you can not handle them at all. they streak and leave finger print's etc. and I'm not sure what your clear coat would do for It. I would suggest you do a test piece and see how It works for you.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back