Léon: The Professional

Beautiful. If you're every up for releasing 3D prints of the weapons or plans for the box (I'd love to do a wooden one) please let me know! The glasses would look nice on the case...

I know entirely too much about this prop. I have also shopped for a Springifeld SASS for 4 years now, with no luck. That is the only gun (outside of the modded S&W 586) that I have not been able to buy or find. If you choose to give up on this, I will buy your conversion :)

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/3ef6/guvkc4jfd3z9ssb4g.jpg

First on my list, trust me. I just don't put too much out on this project because we can't half-ass it. If we get this one right, we really win. I do think it's a found salesman's desk, but I don't think we'll ever get it. So I have just been collecting the guns.... That Springfield sass con was NEW in like 1994, you'd think it'd be easy to find... It's not old at all. I thought the Ruger was going to be hard, but nope, this single shot has been killing me.

Like many I have wanted to make something close to what Leon had in the film. This thread just makes me want to try it again!

My recent Leon gun build. Shoots 9mm blanks.

Leon4_sm.jpg
Leon3_sm.jpg

Beautiful. If you're every up for releasing 3D prints of the weapons or plans for the box (I'd love to do a wooden one) please let me know! The glasses would look nice on the case...

Oh and hey, I read past what you said (as I think we all do sometimes...). I'm willing to share all of my stuff. :thumbsup Anybody that follows my 3d modelwork knows I'm a stickler, and on this one I either want the gun, a dud cast, or factory schematics to be sure. I started modelling the case and all the guns purely to get a good read on the scale of the box before I started on my own... From that, I know a few measurements (like the stacks the guns sit in), but it also made me accept that the case is FOUND. Somebody needs to step up and enhance the good pics of the lock (there is a stamp on it), and if we can figure that out it would help a ton. I don't like admitting this, but true to the RPF, I spent an afternoon on Ebay looking at vintage luggage and carry-cases, hoping to find that same latch. Then, once again true to the RPF, I found a list of baggage and carry-all manufacturers, hoping a name would 'fit' over the blurry shots I have of that latch, and I went through well over a hundred.

Results? I know a lot more about luggage than I ever ever ever want to know. But I also know a lot about this case. When I posted measurements (I think I did) a few posts back, those are not nonsense. Never mind the 3d model, I am intimate with all of these guns now, and I created the model so I could scale off of known constants (the guns). I've also pissed away a lot of time with screen caps, and I know ENTIRELY TOO MUCH about Jean Reno (He's 6'3", tall as me, who knew?) Everybody seems to forget the Spectre too, but that helped me the most on scaling.

I still haven't found a good match with searches. This style of writing desk seems to be fairly rare and the search terms are too vague to make searching useful.

This is what I learned from my research on this project.

exterior was lacquered canvas
core was likely a heavy weight chip board 55pt or higher
lining was green suede

tandy leather sells the straps
look for trunk hardware for the latches, rivets and top strap.

materials costs are huge for this. I think I was around $1000-1200 from the research I did.
Do you remember the references for the case being canvas. Was it an old prop magizine or commentary track? I just purchased the bluray to check out the extra materials. By the way does anyone know who built the props for this movie? I am not questioning your accuracy just looking for more reference. Thanks.

I hear you! I've spent countless hours searching them, too. It's difficult knowing that your results are limited to what's being sold today - the right desk might come along in the months between picking up the thread for another round of hunting.

Do you remember the references for the case being canvas. Was it an old prop magizine or commentary track? I just purchased the bluray to check out the extra materials. By the way does anyone know who built the props for this movie? I am not questioning your accuracy just looking for more reference. Thanks.

I spoke extensively with several antique luggage restoration experts. I had about 100+ hours of research on this piece, but in the end no one (short of one) was prepared to pay for the cost of a limited production run.

I think that I may have been the one to sign up for your build. I appreciate any info you can supply for an accurate case. Maybe we can generate interest in a new run of cases.

Forgive me if someone mentioned this earlier, I did not see it in the thread.

But you may want to add "vintage train case" or "vintage french/italian train case" to your searches if you haven't already.

I have never found the exact match. Some have the fold down front, some do not. Also, check etsy if you haven't. I nearly bought an old leather train case from that site. The latch was a bit different, but otherwise it was pretty darn close.

Anyone know how the size of the Black Eyewear glasses compare to the real Junior Gaultiers? In the pictures I've seen people wearing the Black ones look much bigger than the Gaultiers. No way I'm dropping $290 on a pair of those if they aren't the same size.

image.jpg I located a latch that's fairly close. Some modifications will make it neat exact. The measurements of the plate is 3 3/8 x 2 3/8. I believe that is slightly too large. Whoever had the measurments of the case how far off is that measurement?

Wow, nice find! Very close. Front plate from my work is 2.93 X 1.94 inches..... That is obviously from some telemetry, but I used a half dozen pictures to work it out, so 2 inches by 3 inches. Honestly, I've no doubt it's (if it is sticking to measurements from design) going to be a European-manufactured and based on the metric system, but I'm positive I'm within an 1/8th inch.

Latch close up.jpgbest latch.pngSo the Bluray drive arrived today and I grabbed hd shots of the case latch. Anybody out there with the Deckard's computer could enhance these so I can read the print. Dont want to say what I think it is and bias you before you see it. What do you guys think the text says?

I've gone through every case manufacturer running from 1900 on, trying to match it. I have my opinions as well. I believe it to be european, specifically German or Italian. But still no positives. I just know the names that fit the tagging.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I posted the story of my journey making a Léon costume. The search for and construction of props and supplies took nearly a year and cost me many dollars:
Some of what I found is the same as in this thread... quite possibly found in my post.
This year I went back to an old costume I had done for many years and completely redid it. Willy Wonka. I will post some photos of it soon.
In the meantime, my original Léon post:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=198990&highlight=L%E9on+Professional

attachment.jpg

Last edited:
I was having a meeting at my bosses house (at the kitchen table, that's the farm office ;) ) while his wife was cooking. She went to get a roast from the oven and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw her oven mitt. She insisted I take it home when she saw my reaction (she has never seen the movie, and probably won't). People look at my movie shelf a little weird when the see it peeking over the top of the movie box. :lol
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• piggy01.JPG
    piggy01.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,537
  • piggy02.JPG
    piggy02.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,478

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back