Léon: The Professional

I found a very similar clasp on a Louis Vuitton hat box:

clasp_lock.png

And they dabble in writing boxes/travel desks as well:

louis_vuitton_ouvre_un_cabinet_d___criture___ph__m__re_404847674_north_545x.jpg

If they're the maker, Léon's been dipping into that money pool more often than we were led to believe! Designer Gaultier specs, vintage Vuitton luggage...

That's getting real close! I'm thinking that in keeping with the theme of disguising his weapons cases with ordinary non-threatening stand-ins, this has to be a repurposed case. I think that Megamicrofish has come within the 10 circle.

David

This is what I learned from my research on this project.

exterior was lacquered canvas
core was likely a heavy weight chip board 55pt or higher
lining was green suede

tandy leather sells the straps
look for trunk hardware for the latches, rivets and top strap.

materials costs are huge for this. I think I was around $1000-1200 from the research I did.

Nice digging guys! I'm going to scour some 2nd hand stores for old luggage to strip the hardware from, 1200-1000 is outside my range for materials on this, but I wouldn't mind making one in a Leon "style" that is customized to hold my guns (not the same as his! :lol )

Am I seeing the writing on the top correctly - "B. Curtis No 15"?

I'm trying to match the scale of the box against the actual size of the pistols and coe up with a width of around 17". Does that sound right?

David

Am I seeing the writing on the top correctly - "B. Curtis No 15"?

I'm trying to match the scale of the box against the actual size of the pistols and coe up with a width of around 17". Does that sound right?

David

I've been plugging away on a 3d model of the box with the guns for a while now, and it's coming out closer to 20" for me.

Last edited:
Nice folks to deal with - but how accurate is the beanie? Thanks for the tip on the cases!

The model is public knowledge; I'm happy to share it again here! The original glasses are Junior Gaultier model no. 58-0072 (not 68-0072 as you'll find in some threads). Unfortunately, that makes them designer glasses from circa 1993. Expensive even when new, produced in low runs for a short span of time over twenty years ago. They come in several color variations, including a sort of tortoise-shell opaque black. There's an amber variation which is translucent like these, and I believe a clear yellow frame which I've only seen with blue lenses with a small circular mirrored section. Sadly, the clear frames are rumored to be the rarest of them all and my long search would seem to confirm that. I've seen the wrong colors come up more than once.

The closest glasses on today's market are probably these guys:
http://www.blackeyewear.com/product/chico-2/chico-clear-crystal-s/

No gold wire insert or hinges, but the shape looks good and they're clear untinted frames!

The original glasses from the film were sold at auction a couple years ago for $8,320 - you can check that listing out here:
http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/79/lot/31619/

thank you for sharing this information! i am a HUGE fan of the professional, im still hoping a sequel will be made.. i always wanted leons glasses as well, i could never find anything close, this is great you shared this info, now im going to really keep my eyes out .

thank you for sharing this information! i am a HUGE fan of the professional, im still hoping a sequel will be made.. i always wanted leons glasses as well, i could never find anything close, this is great you shared this info, now im going to really keep my eyes out .

It is a near-perfect film! Good luck with your hunt - the glasses are really unique; they're a satisfying one to find.

A very lucky eBay find - I contacted the seller as soon as I saw them and asked about a "Buy It Now" price, if she had one. She offered me a very fair quote, about what the same model goes for in the non-Léon color schemes or perhaps a little less, and I jumped on it! They do come up from time to time on the 'Bay, but that was the only time I saw them with the clear/smoke color combination. The yellow (still transparent) frames are up for auction once or twice a year, it seems.

Tried loading more pictures with a scale for reference but it is giving me trouble. Here are some measurements I made.
pachmayr box
18 1/4in length
13 1/2in height
10 in. Depth
1911-A2 SASS pistol
13 in barrel to grip length
cut and paste is making me pull my hair out as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I know entirely too much about this prop. I have also shopped for a Springifeld SASS for 4 years now, with no luck. That is the only gun (outside of the modded S&W 586) that I have not been able to buy or find. If you choose to give up on this, I will buy your conversion :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back