DareDevil's Nunchuck/Billy Club Prop build (PIC HEAVY)(FINISHED)

Cascades

Hey all :D ,

I am an aspiring 16 y.o. prop maker, and about 4 months ago i got my first ever commission to make set of nunchucks from Marvel's DareDevil series! For some dumb reason (e.g. none) It did not occur to me to document each every little step for the rpf, BUT I think i caught enough photos to make a worthy post, so here goes nothing :D ;

1.0 Planning
1.1 Reference Images

So first I looked at my referance images from google, my client wanted the comic book prop as oppose to the movie prop.
Daredevil_65.jpg

There where lots of different variants to the design, as there often is in comic book props. The main choices where with the cable joining the two chucks, being either red or green & the decoration lines at both ends of each chuck, being either, painted on white or grooves (then painted white). However, i eventually went with the image above as a reference with a white cable and three grooves each end of both nunchucks. The client also said he didn't want the prop weathered, a "fresh out of the box look".

1.2 Design Sketches

So next i set to work on taking measurements of my hand's grip's circumference, forearm length & size of hand in general, coming up with this final design at the end;
tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo1_1280.jpg

So all of these measurements should look proportional to me! (Spoiler: I THINK THEY CAME OUT WELL!)

2.0 Making
2.1 Materialisation
I thought that using just normal PVC piping would be a good starting point for the prop, so set to work on cutting them to the correct lengths and figuring out how to overcome my other hurdles.
tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo6_1280.jpg
tumblr_ne7optaI9j1snyjcyo1_500.jpg
I had some leftover bondo from another project and thought i could use that to seal up each end quite effectively. I could then use white electrical cable, lightly sanded where needed to get rid of markings from the manufacturer, as the connector between chucks and get a strong hold using expanding adhesive foam on the inside of each chuck to cling onto the cable. But before i could do any of that i needed the ends to stay open while i used a metal lathe to cut 12 grooves overall into the PVC piping at measured out points from the drawing above! (Unfortunately I only took photos of the end result)
tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne7optaI9j1snyjcyo2_1280.jpg

(Don't hate on the swim shorts.... it's how i like to work... OKAY)

2.2 Finish
Now that i have made actual body of the prop and all the details, all that's left to do is paint it! I used just an undercoat of white primer, then several coats of a red i picked out based off samples sent to me from the lady making my client's red costume, finished off with a slightly glossy, grippy textures, clear, waterproof coat of spray to protect the prop;

tumblr_ne7p2slujX1snyjcyo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ne7p2slujX1snyjcyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne7p2slujX1snyjcyo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne7p2slujX1snyjcyo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne7p2slujX1snyjcyo5_1280.jpg

3.0 Conclusion
And there ya go! Any questions about my materials or prices or anything just ask :D Thanks for ready, and have a great day!

Attachments

• tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo2_1280.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 146
  • tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ne7nyqPi2B1snyjcyo3_1280.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 131
Love the daredevil comics, the nunchucks look awesome. Will definitely have to contact you for my next cosplay. P.S love the t-shirt!

Looks awesome! I've never really understood how useful these nunchucks would be in fighting crime, being so long and all though...:confused I guess he could use it to lasso things and such, but whatever, great build!

Looks awesome! I've never really understood how useful these nunchucks would be in fighting crime, being so long and all though...:confused I guess he could use it to lasso things and such, but whatever, great build!

Ahahaha, me neither xD i think just his walking stick would be better! And thanks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back